Pyrrho!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Boss Paul
Title: Boss

Re: Pyrrho!

Post by Boss Paul »

Pyrrho!

Get over here! You just made Boss Kean cuss!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Getting over here, Boss.
Boss Paul

Post by Boss Paul »

Get all of this dirt out of the yard!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I got no shovel here, Boss. Posting in the supine position.
Boss Kean

Post by Boss Kean »

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... bzew4a.gif
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Plumbers are installing a backsassin' preventer here, Boss. To keep the city water's mind right.

SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS

:weirdeyes:

Gonna be eatin' beans for a year here, Boss!
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://s1.postimg.org/5p4yovh4tr/Moder ... nk-_Mi.jpg
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

http://content.zurn.com/web_images/prod ... 20side.jpg
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Furnace guy was here for routine inspection. "Shuttin' 'er down! Heat exchangers are cracked and the CO levels are up!"

It's 25 years old and the cost to repair not worth it. Had the heat exchangers replaced years ago.

So the estimators are coming out to tell us how many $$$$ a new furnace is gonna cost.

"Oh, and your water heater's leaking."

Uhh...no...they were testing yesterday and that's from the pressure relief valve. I have checked and there is water in the discharge tube and there is no evidence of leakage from the tank itself. I am wondering if the backflow preventer is causing would-be backflow to issue from the pressure relief on the hot water tank. These matters are beyond my ken.

I am not made of money. I may have to do some moonlighting.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

So...what can I do for a side gig? Aside from working for Boss Kean's Excavation and Landscaping, LLC.
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://s1.postimg.org/3wzi33ii73/03462089.jpg
Fid

Post by Fid »

Pyrrho wrote:Furnace guy was here for routine inspection. "Shuttin' 'er down! Heat exchangers are cracked and the CO levels are up!"

It's 25 years old and the cost to repair not worth it. Had the heat exchangers replaced years ago.

So the estimators are coming out to tell us how many $$$$ a new furnace is gonna cost.

Uhh...no...they were testing yesterday and that's from the pressure relief valve. I have checked and there is water in the discharge tube and there is no evidence of leakage from the tank itself. I am wondering if the backflow preventer is causing would-be backflow to issue from the pressure relief on the hot water tank. These matters are beyond my ken.

I hear ya bro. I had a tiny leak in me toilet which turned into a $350 water bill. Turns out my pipes are even older than my dick. Guess what my water pressure flooded my basement 8000 gallons. Yes you read that right. I'm gonna have to pay someone to dig up the 60ish old pipes and replace them.

Till then I go down in the basement and turn on the FUCKING HOT WATER !

Back later I gotta get nekkid and squirt hot water,. :x
Boss Higgins

Post by Boss Higgins »

You not happy with your job?

You complainin?!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

My job looks just lovely in the light of these bills, Boss!
Dragline
Title: Top Dog

Post by Dragline »

Now don't get all sad there! You just have t'invest some of your spendin' money in our little poker game!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Kickin' a buck here, Dragline.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Pyrrho wrote:Furnace guy was here for routine inspection. "Shuttin' 'er down! Heat exchangers are cracked and the CO levels are up!"

No. Water heater doesn't need replaced if the tank isn't leaking and the water is still hot. Get a real plumber out there and make the fucker replace the goddamned pressure relief valve.

Only!!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Water tank is 10 years old, it's gonna go sooner rather than later.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote:Water tank is 10 years old, it's gonna go sooner rather than later.
My last one lasted 20 years but not without ... issues. The drop tube (the tube that deposits cold water to the bottom of the tank) was made of some sort of PVC that degraded in hot water (there was a class action suit) and as such crumbled and made its way into every valve, faucet, and appliance in the house. I was [somehow] not eligible for repairs. I had to disassemble and clean every plumbing fitting in the house. I lost the dishwasher and washing machine in that, which made my wife happy because you can't just replace a washer as the dryer need to "match" it ... as it was womansplained to me. The first leak happened at year 15.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Was just down there and there's water around it again. It's been subjected to well water for the whole 10 years, so it's probably best not to take chances. Pilot light has been going out occasionally anyway, even after I cleaned the filter screen.

The contractors are here and it's going bye-bye along with my 25-year old furnace carbon monoxide generator.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Oh, I see: If Listy gets a new hot water heater, then you just have to have a new hot water heater too, eh?
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Eh, I got a package deal with the furnace installation. Plus it will be installed by professionals instead of the hack job I did last time.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Warming up in here, Boss.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Mansplain to me why water pressure would be lower after the new water heater was installed. All the valves are fully open.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Pigtails on the water heater are smaller than the old one? How's the cold water pressure? If it's as robust as it used to be, then I bet that's it. If not, then: Other.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Had this kind of arrangement before.

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments ... r-heat.jpg

Now it's straight pipe. Diameter the same.

http://kcwaterheater.com/wp-content/upl ... lation.jpg

Would tank dimensions make a difference? New one is 40 gal like the old one, but it's shorter and wider.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

No pressure tank, tho.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote:Mansplain to me why water pressure would be lower after the new water heater was installed. All the valves are fully open.
One of them isn't.

Or now that I think about it, the plumber may have put in a [lower] pressure regulator. Your city may require it on new work.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Another angle...if the tank had been crudded up from 10 years of well water, could that cause higher pressure from the tank? The guy did say that the old tank seemed light to him and it didn't want to drain right away. Asked if we'd been getting hot water.

Me, I dunno.
sparks

Post by sparks »

A mystery. Installation you've got now is a pip. Looks real good, clean.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

We'll see if the pressure relief valve on the new one opens overnight.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Nah. All new. It'll be fine.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I'm wondering if I set the temperature too high when I had to relight the pilot light on the old one.

OH WELL, it's gone now, so that's that.

Until the inspector comes and tells us we need to install a phlogiston regulator.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote:Another angle...if the tank had been crudded up from 10 years of well water, could that cause higher pressure from the tank? The guy did say that the old tank seemed light to him and it didn't want to drain right away. Asked if we'd been getting hot water.

Me, I dunno.
Is it only the hot water that has low pressure?
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Seems that way. Could be imaginary. I'm gonna get a pressure tester from Home Depot to see what the static line pressure is.

Yup, the pressure relief on the NEW hot water tank was dripping water, not gushing water, while one of the kids was taking a shower, which I don't understand, because why would there be back pressure while water was being released?

I probably did not need a goddamn new water heater but it was 10 years old so what the hell, I'm stuck with this now.

I suppose I will have to pay another several hundred dollars that I do not fucking have to for a pressure reducer valve installed (they didn't) and/or a pressure overflow tank or whatever they're called. I set the hot water tank thermostat to "Hot" from "A" to see if that lower temperature solves the problem. I doubt it. "Hot" is allegedly 120 degrees F. "A" is 128.

I blame the backflow preventer that was installed on Monday.

I am tired. Going to sleep here, Boss, and not in the prone position, either.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Shit comes in bursts. :(
Pyrrho wrote:I set the hot water tank thermostat to "Hot" from "A" to see if that lower temperature solves the problem. I doubt it. "Hot" is allegedly 120 degrees F. "A" is 128.
Don't put it too low, Legionella survives up to 50 °C (122 °F).
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Set to "Hot" seems to have stopped the relief valve problem. I will raise it a bit for that legionella business. My mom had that once and it was no picnic.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

...and in the 17 DAYS!!!! :HoppingMad2: department...apparently I was supposed to call Cleveland Water for another inspection of the newly-installed backflow preventer...so today we got a 3 DAYS SHUTOFF NOTICE FOR NONCOMPLIANCE, with a checkmark next to "backflow device installation/inspection"

So they will inspect it tomorrow. If it passes, on Wednesday they will install the goddamn water meter.

If not, then I got to call the plumber again and have them get it right...for more $$$ no doubt.

Calling the furnace/water heater company tomorrow to ask when or if their work has to be inspected and by whom. Can't leave anything to chance.

Then I will apply for a night job at Walmart.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Have you considered calling a plumber? I know that's an odd question but there it is.

Hey! I know a guy. His name is Guido. He works in your area. He also takes book. Want his number?
Last edited by Rob Lister on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Have been. The guy who installed it is certified to install it and and test it and supposedly he was also supposed to submit paperwork to this outfit:

https://www.bsionlinetracking.com

Only plumbers who are certified and "on the list" can do this work. I am smart enough to keep my hands and wrenches off of these here pipes.