Gothic 3

Stump your fellow simians.
ed
Title: G_D

Gothic 3

Post by ed »

This is a relatively new RPG from Pyrana Bytes, a german outfit that is, unfortunately, underappreciated in the States. Partially due to their inability to do PR right over here.

I have 100+ hours into it and was asked my opinion. I posted this on the JoWood (the us distributer) forum.

I had been awaiting G3 with high expectations since it was announced and now I am approaching the end and I thought that I would share some impressions.

First off, I am running this game on an Athelon 64 @2.0 GHz. with 2gig of memory and a Radeon x1650 w/500 mb

Performance: I upgraded my video card and memory to accomodate G3 better. With this machine, I get a fair amount of stutter with detail settings that are not maxed out. While I understand that this machine is not "state of the art" I suspect that it is still better than 80% of the machines that people are playing G3 on. That said, the performance leaves a lot to be desired. I would be curious to know is whether anyone has maxed out the quality on this game and experiences flawless performance. I really would like to know what machine they are running it on. The performance issue is a bit of an irritation but I am sorta disappointed that I am not seeing all of the detail that made G2 so visually appealing. It seems unfortunate that PB appeared to design a game that can only be enjoyed to the fullest by NSA.

Stability: Rock solid. I think that it crashed twice.

Playability: Pretty good. I have no problems with the controls or inventory manipulation and so on. I will say that the AI targetting is a pain in the ass sometimes (Ice Wolves anyone?) but I'm over it.

Bugs: Not really too bad. I evidentially neglected to pick up the Mana ring as part of the Relics of Adinos quest and had to Marvin it back into existance to continue. Like another poster who had this problem, I am compulsive about cleaning up so I dunno, was it even there? Anyway, it seems that one ought to keep unlooted bodies that contain quest items around for a while, like forever. I can't find the Fire Robe skill nor the Improve Armor skill and I assume that there is a bug involved there. These things are sorta irritating but, since there was a workaround, I am not too upset.

Character/NPC interactions: This one irks me. Man, I liberate towns and cities and the Rebel leader offers to sell me some Mana potions. It sorta destroys the illusion. Without writing a tome I would like to see a reflection of current events in the characters that one interacts with. It would be very cool if the level of unpredictability of the verbal interactions did not diminish to zero so early in the game. Also, I find it odd that after you save a guy and he owes you his life and so on, he bloody CHARGES you for teaching something. It ought to be a bit unpredictable but he could give a level or two of learning for free saying "Just for you and this time only, friend". Not everybody, just here and there. The idea of characters like Diego vanishing to parts unknown and then showing up to advance the story is also appealing. Milton being singularly unimpressed with my finding the Fire Chalices was a bit of a bummer. I guess the lack of an "us" aspect is sort of dissapointing. Without this, the game does come across a bit like an old arcade game where you engaged in a series of "missions". It would add to the experience if the trajectory of the story as it unfolds was activley reflected by the people about you to a much greater extent.

Enemies: I pretty much went the Mage route and critters present zero problems. It should be harder. Once one hits a Troll, for example, all you have to do is pound away since he (she?) stops dead in his/her tracks. For some of the larger guys I would remove the pause. I am playing this at "Normal", perhaps "Difficult" fixes this. Gotta check.

Items: One of the annoyances of Oblivian was that the same 17 items appeared again and again in chests and on bodies. Sorta the same here. I would like to see some unique items randomly seeded around the Gothic world. I mean RANDOMLY so that it can't be cheated, even if you are desperate. A helping of high end items would have been cool.

Money: I never had a problem buying anything. Actually, the only things I bought were armor and (early on) potions. We need to introduce a bit of inflation.

Skills/levels: Fine with me. I like the idea of choosing where I put my experience. Works well, IMO.

Consistancy: There are some things that look sorta funny. For example, Cap Dunn was the first town that I liberated. Now, weeks later, the Rebels still have not removed the rotting corpses of the knights that the Orks strung up. Also, weeks later, Gotha still looks like the South Bronx (insert regional slum here). Also, the hung up corpses are a theme in the landscape. It would have been interesting to hear an Ork commander refer to them in some way. One thing that surprised me is that, given the detail on things like abandoned houses, there is nothing "interactive" about them, no cellars, no secret little hidey holes. Would have been nice.

Overall, this is one of the best games I have played. It is, IMO, superior to Oblivian on a number of points. I think that NOTR/G2 was superior.

Thank you Pirana Bytes.
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Wow - Gothic 3 is buggy as an old stump on my system. I upgraded to 2 gig and loaded the patch so a lot of the trouble went away. But I stiill get lockups, voids which the character can drop into, and some sound errors.
Kristopher

Post by Kristopher »

NOTR?
ed

Post by ed »

Wooldridge wrote:NOTR?
Excellent. I had to buy the damn thing from Chezoslovicia or some god forsaken miasmal swamp because the damn thing was never released here until the the stupid "gold Edition".

Probably the most realistic and visually appealing game ever.
Kristopher

Post by Kristopher »

ed wrote:
Excellent. I had to buy the damn thing from Chezoslovicia or some god forsaken miasmal swamp because the damn thing was never released here until the the stupid "gold Edition".

I assumed it was awesome, and "Gothic 2" based on the "G2", I was just curious was "NOTR" stood for.
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Since I opened up with the bugs, there's a few things I like:

- I like the open-ended gameplay. I'm not sure it's better or worse than Morrowind/Oblivion, but I enjoy the style.

- Visually beautiful. I've got the graphic maxxed on my system - probably the reason for the bugginess, but I think the eye-candy is worth it.

- I like the experience/learning system, too.

I played Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colonectomy, and it was the first action/RPG that made it actually seem like as I gain skills, it had a real impact on how it affected the world. This is probably the second.
ed

Post by ed »

Wooldridge wrote:
ed wrote:

I assumed it was awesome, and "Gothic 2" based on the "G2", I was just curious was "NOTR" stood for.
Night of the Raven