Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
clarsct

Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up

Post by clarsct »

You think you got problems?
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=75009

I'll recreate it here for those who cannot/will not read over there.
MondoAthiest wrote: Ask a dying Atheist anything.

Updated: (ooo pretty colors) Charging my camera now. Lets hope I can remember how to upload video to my computer now.

Hello, I'm Atheist and I'm dying of Heart Disease. I was born with this disease. I believe it is titled CHD(Cogential Heart Disease/Defect). It's nothing new, out of all the defects one could have this is supposedly the most likely. I've had over 6(six) Major Heart Surgeries in my life, most of which were Fontan surgeries, and all of which I didn't enjoy. It's been over a decade since my last surgery and there isn't much else they can do. As I've aged things escalated, and well I'm dying.
Feel free to skip this part until...
After seeing Art Buchwald's Self-Obituary on NYTimes: "The Last Word," I thought, that's a pretty good idea. And my first idea was to make a video for my mother to watch after I died. Not like one of those; "Give 'so and so' my autographed picture of Ertha Kit in Batman" type of video wills. InsteadI'd say things to her about me being an Atheist is okay and my death was random. And hopefully in the future science and great minds can stop this and others won't have to die. But I haven't always been this confident.

When I was younger, I had believed there was no God, It just didn't make sense to me. I understood religion,I understood Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, etc. But I just didn't believe it was real. It felt like Santa Claus to me, which I always tried to believe was real also. I always wanted to believe both Jesus and God existed, and I assumed I was broken for not understanding. My sister taught Catholic School, my Step-Father constantly talked about God around the house, and I attended church. But none of it stuck, I was doomed.
Right here...sorta...

Shortly after my 5th(8 years old) surgery, I spoke with an older man at Sanford University Hospital. My mother had told me this man had a heart attack and he may not make it so we should pray for him. So after we prayed I had a chance to speak with him, and I asked him if he believed in God. He replied; "Do you know what an Atheist is?" I softly replied; "Yeah, I think so." And he said; "Well, that's what I am." I respond; "Yeah, I think I am too." and he told me if I had any questions that I could always ask him. And I did for the next few days until he was moved and I was told died a short while after.

This man was the first Atheist I actually really knew, and talking to him and asking him questions before he died really helped me, when everyone else just offered me more reasons to doubt myself. After losing my older friend I stayed a closest Atheist for quite some time, and now that I'm a bit older and such I'm more opened out it.

And I figured since this person had helped me, that maybe I could somehow help or entertain others. So I came up with an idea where people could ask me, a stupid 22yr old dying atheist some questions. I'm no authority on any subject, I'm just some stupid guy who listens to a lot of Skeptical Radio,Penn Radio,Infidelguy,Dawkins, and maybe watches too much Columbo and Perry Mason.

And if there are any questions which I can answer, I will probably do on Video, or on here. I've been thinking of creating my own vblog, or whatever they call it. My only real problem is, why would anyone care what I have to say? I know I found help from a dying atheist, but I was just a scared kid, why would any of you care? Maybe some of you can help me think of better ways to produce/conjure this.

-- Mondo A Out

P.S - I deeply apologize if this type of trash shouldn't be posted here, please delete it if so. I just wasn't sure where to post this, or if I even should. I've had reserves about this for a while, but always wanted to do something slightly meaningful in my life. And hopefully this could be it.
For those of you that want the medical history:
I have one of the transcripts, or whatever they're titled in front of me. It's one of the earliest one's I could find. I was 2yrs old when they did this surgery in 1986 at University of Minnesota, and here is some of the stuff it says.

"He was born with Complex Cyanotic congential heart disease which included transposition of the great arteries, tricuspid valvar atresia, pulmonary valvar atresia,single ventricle and interruption of the inferior vena cava with azygous communication."
This passes my sniff test. If there is a doc in the house, or even House, I'd be willing to be listen to any enlightenment provided.

I was complaining about having to go to work with a sore throat today!
Fuck!

I think we could help this guy. I don't want to flood him, so if you can read what's already been asked, I would encourage you to do so.

Skeptica: IIRC, Pixy hosts this site, and a few others....any chance he'd consider this guy?

I'm going to cross post this in a few places, and let the guy know I posted here.

My problems have suddenly become meaningless.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

This is, as you may have noticed, the internet. My thought whenever I hear something like this is that it is from some abberant individual who has an odd sense of fun.

You see a poor dying fucker, I see
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

Surely Hal has started a crusade to help that individual no matter what actually ails him/her/it? If he's not too busy posting screed directed at TV performers, that is.

Good ole Hal ...
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

I've had heart surgery and two procedures.

Poor me.

Send me money.

And stuff.

Good stuff.
The GM

Post by The GM »

All of us are dying, and it shouldn't take a critical event for us to say the things we want and need to say to the people in our lives. For all I know, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I tell and show the people who are important to me that I love them everyday. I try to be a good person, a great mom and wife, a good friend. And I try not to bitch, but sometimes I still do. I feel pretty luck to have won the conception lottery and be alive. Whether I get to live for 1 more day, or 50 more years, living is better than the alternative.

If you really want to make a difference, tell someone you love how much you appreciate them, just for the hell of it. That kind of thing lives on long after you're gone.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

I consider it unwise to post too much personal info on a Internet message board.
ed

Post by ed »

Pyrrho wrote:I consider it unwise to post too much personal info on a Internet message board.
Creative writing is another issue.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ed wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:I consider it unwise to post too much personal info on a Internet message board.
Attacking those who criticize glurge is yet another. Those who question the veracity of glurge risk being labeled as several varieties of scum. So we sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up, and let the dervishes whirl.
ed

Post by ed »

Pyrrho wrote:
ed wrote:
Attacking those who criticize glurge is yet another. Those who question the veracity of glurge risk being labeled as several varieties of scum. So we sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up, and let the dervishes whirl.
What in the wide world of sports is glurge?
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ed wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
ed wrote:
What in the wide world of sports is glurge?
http://www.wordspy.com/words/glurge.asp

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

That said, I haven't forgotten WinAce, Skeptoid, or Till Eulenspiegel, and if I've forgotten someone else, I apologize.

I can't give a dying atheist any more consideration than I can give any other dying person.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Pyrrho wrote:
ed wrote:
Ask a dying atheist anything.

I supposed I would be labeled scum, especially at TOP, if I asked, "Do you intend to die with dignity or guilt people into sending you money until the bitter end?"
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Guy hasn't asked for money, yet.

Just questions. Some material for a website he's trying to put together. I posted the full story so people would have context, and, yeah, sounds like the guy has some serious shit going on.

I actually had a little empathy for him.

Sorry I posted it.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

For the benefit of Pyrrho, who suggested that I apply some critical thinking when approaching the topic of www.stopsylviabrowne.com ...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/ ... /mondo.jpg

Well, I smell a particularly rotten, stinking fish.

Feel free to kick me in the nuts if I'm wrong.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Please understand, I have as much empathy as anyone else does for someone who is terminally ill. There is just not much I can do about it. Also, I've seen what people on Internet message boards can do with personal information like that, and it ain't pretty. Inevitably, someone will question the reality of the post and the motives of the poster, and then the fur begins to fly, and a whole lot of ugly follows.

That's why I prefer to stay out of such situations.
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Pyrrho wrote:Please understand, I have as much empathy as anyone else does for someone who is terminally ill. There is just not much I can do about it. Also, I've seen what people on Internet message boards can do with personal information like that, and it ain't pretty. Inevitably, someone will question the reality of the post and the motives of the poster, and then the fur begins to fly, and a whole lot of ugly follows.

That's why I prefer to stay out of such situations.
Understood.

AC: Low post count isn't a sign of dishonesty any more than a high post count is a sign of intelligence.

(I could list examples)
asthmatic camel

clarsct, the guy may be for real, in which case he has my sincere sympathy. That said, he seems a little vague about the details of his heart defect, and it wouldn't be the first time a hoaxer has shown up over there with a melodramatic tale to tell.

You're right, of course; a high post count doesn't mean a great deal by itself, yet I have to wonder why a dying man would choose the JREF forum, from all those available, to help him write his obituary; it's not known as a self-help group or even as a hideout for evil, seditious atheists©.

So, I don't know, don't have the necessary information to make a judgement, and lack the inclination to do so.

You are allowed to kick me in the nuts anyway; it'll teach me a lesson.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

clarsct wrote:AC: Low post count isn't a sign of dishonesty any more than a high post count is a sign of intelligence.

(I could list examples)
:meanie1:

--J.D.
De_Bunk
Location: If you find that you have trouble..Just have a little drink..It is your friend.

Post by De_Bunk »

I also have chronic heart disease...and liver disease...and i attend hospital on a monthly basis...

I wouldn't joke about something like that...No point...( and some of you already know )

I'm on more medication than i can be bothered to take...and had a mild heart attack since you lot have known me...

Do i complain...do i give a shit...

Whaddya reckon....!

Truly...I couldn't give a fuck...Thats my lot in life...I brought it on myself... cigarettes, drinking, eating the wrong foods...wild sexual encounters...Nut kicking...etc..

I am who i am...And i'm gonna be a bastard right uptil i take my last breath.

My kids know...my ex-wife knows...everyone is prepared.

I'm making the most of this life...'cos there ain't none after...

And hey...I'm 3/4 drunk now...and laughing my ass off watching 'Balls of Steel' on 'Youtube'

Heres the link..if anyones interested..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Brit-Land humor at its best...

Fuck life...Fuck death..

Who cares...

Live life for today...have no regrets...and do everything you want to do...

:violin: (Yeh right...As if i give a flying fuck)

:De_Bunk: ( I am so gonna go on living the 'continual' asshole, nut kicking, bastard life )

DB
Last edited by De_Bunk on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
De_Bunk
Location: If you find that you have trouble..Just have a little drink..It is your friend.

Post by De_Bunk »

...and i'm smoking a cigarette...

Who gives a shit...

I'll live on...'Immortalised' on the web..

:twisted:

DB
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

De_Bunk wrote:...and i'm smoking a cigarette...

Who gives a shit...

I'll live on...'Immortalised' on the web..

:twisted:

DB
Or you could end up like this guy:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/17/death. ... index.html
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

What about the man in the UK who had been dead for 6 months...sitting in his chair...TV still on...and X-Mas lights on his tree still flashing...in June..

Care in the community...

Yeh..

Right...

I've no doubt i'll end up like that...

:D

DB
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

De_Bunk wrote:What about the man in the UK who had been dead for 6 months...sitting in his chair...TV still on...and X-Mas lights on his tree still flashing...in June..

Care in the community...

Yeh..

Right...

I've no doubt i'll end up like that...

DB
Nah. You'll probably end up like this...

http://www.thestranger.com/blog/files/2 ... arrest.JPG
asthmatic camel

Naah. He'll die the death of a retarded spoon.
Marian

Post by Marian »

I didn't read it Over There, just what's on this thread.

I understand, respect and to a limited degree agree with what Pyrrho has posted, though whenever anyone says things like that I personally cringe, because I have mentioned personal issues, health issues on the internet (not just here). But by the same token, I also get extremely angry at the fakers out there who do so simply for attention, money, or some sick pathelogical need to emotionally rape people. It is important to be skeptical about such things, even though I think for most of us, the rush of empathy makes us feel like shit when we do question it. Even if a bullshit detector goes off.

That being said...I don't see a plea for money here. Nor do I see it (just that post, dunno if there's others) as an attempt to garner either sympathy or pity.

I may be wrong, but what I got out of it was simply this:

Many believers truly believe that there are no atheists in foxholes. There are many believers who believe that atheists simply "refuse" God(s) so that they can wallow in their evil sinful ways. Even those who do not believe that atheist is another word for a bad person, often truly think that in the darkest hours, in the worst moments, people will turn to God.

And I'm certain there are those who do. I certainly wouldn't condemn then, and I think Carl Sagan's wife addressed that issue quite well in addressing Sagan's beliefs at the end of his life. (And rumors of conversion, etc.) I believe it was in the afterword of Billions and Billions.

So anyway, what I took from it was, while we are all 'dying' in that no one gets out of life alive, there are those who know that their death is highly likely to be within a very finite period of time, from specific causes. This is especially true when people have terminal illnesses, and true to a different degree when people have very serious medical problems that can result or are likely to result in death within a very finite period of time. While we all intellectually know that one day we'll die (though some may hope differently)...the majority of us do not live our lives based on that inevitible fact. I guarentee you that my day today would be different if I had the knowledge that my death was a certainity within even this next year. Hopefully I wouldn't have played as much World of Warcraft. ;)

So sorry to yammer on so long, but I think the point is to show others, specifically believers, an individual who is an atheist, and who is dying. That there are indeed atheists in the proverbal foxholes. I think though that it's equally important to stress that whenever anyone does this, it's also as an individual. While I might agree with other atheists on certain things, I am sure I wouldn't on others. There's no person who, as an atheist can speak for me as an atheist. It's not a church, it's not dogmatic.

I think the most obvious example of that is Richard Dawkins. I think he's great. I like him. I do not agree with everything he says. I would not want anyone to suppose that because he is an atheist that I as an atheist must hold the same opinions on everything related to that topic. I don't.

It's an important distinction, though probably obvious to most here, because atheism touches on religious belief, and tends to be lumped in as another form of religious belief (instead of correctly as the abscence of such). While Catholics, for example, may hold different personal views on topics such as birth control, it's a safe assumption that when someone is speaking "as a Catholic" they're in agreement with all the teachings of that religious group. And when they're not, they specifically state as such. It's often phrased as, "I'm Catholic...but"

Beyond not holding a belief in god(s), what do atheists have in common? Perhaps because in so many ways we don't have the cohesive glue of commonality (other when brought together for common goals, such as against intelligent design) is why atheists don't have a really decent group, or lobby. Not to say there's not groups which are good, I'm sure there are (I know little about them other than historical information, such as the bio of O'Hair, etc.) but even as a minority, we have less political and social power than other minority groups.

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad idea. I just think it's important to stress that primarily such people speaking 'as atheists' are speaking for themselves, though others may be in agreement. And I think the other question that should be asked before such a project is, what ultimately is the goal? If it's to educate people on atheism, all well and good, but one can do that without stressing the 'dying' part. If it's to demonstrate that an individual doesn't need to cling to comforting falsehoods while dealing with mortality, we have many examples of that. I'm not certain what 'good' that can do.

Conversely I see the potential for harm, well not necessarily harm but painful harassment, as well intentioned (and possibly some not so well intentioned) people crusade to convert someone before they die. If they succeed, well it's not an individual victory, but one 'against atheism', or at least I imagine it would be touted (though I wouldn't agree nor would I suspect anyone here). If they fail, it's merely one more misguided individual doomed to whatever bad things they imagine happens to people who don't follow their 'Truth'...whatever that is.

Anyhoo, sorry for the long post. :) I know it was long even for me. :oops:
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You guys act as if someone faked her illnesses. . . .

http://www.millan.net/minimations/toolm ... okcat1.gif

--J.D.
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

I agree...

This could all be true...and the person is genuinely depressed and needs a bit of sympathy at this time

Not everyone is like me...

I give up caring about 'me' a long time ago...

All i want is a 'De_Bunk Memorial Day'...(every 12th of June)...Where people drag up my old posts and can call me a mental case without me being able to respond...

Seriously...

DB
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

We could never forget you!

Then most of us could not forget an inflamed purulent hemorrhoid. . . .

--J.D.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I'm noticing that when someone posts such things on the JREF board, I react with cynicism. Posted here or elsewhere, I don't, so I suspect that for me, my reaction has less to do with what the person posts and more to do with where they posted it. Maybe it has to do with the difference in potential publicity, I dunno.

Then again, my heart can only go out to so many people. Sucks, but there it is.

The obvious parallels to stories commonly found in religious magazines also bothers me. Humans do what humans do, I guess. Nothing new under the sun, social patterns are the same all over, reactive behavior is the norm, etc.

Then again, I guess it's only natural to milk a cow. It's no accident that people assumed the person was asking for cash.
ed

Post by ed »

Marian wrote:I didn't read it Over There, just what's on this thread.

I understand, respect and to a limited degree agree with what Pyrrho has posted, though whenever anyone says things like that I personally cringe, because I have mentioned personal issues, health issues on the internet (not just here). But by the same token, I also get extremely angry at the fakers out there who do so simply for attention, money, or some sick pathelogical need to emotionally rape people. It is important to be skeptical about such things, even though I think for most of us, the rush of empathy makes us feel like shit when we do question it. Even if a bullshit detector goes off.

That being said...I don't see a plea for money here. Nor do I see it (just that post, dunno if there's others) as an attempt to garner either sympathy or pity.
:
Money is only one form of remuneration that a fraud can obtain. Attention, stolen emotions and stolen time are some others.
robinson
Title: Happiness is a choice!

Post by robinson »

De_Bunk wrote:

All i want is a 'De_Bunk Memorial Day'...(every 12th of June)...Where people drag up my old posts and can call me a mental case without me being able to respond...

Seriously...

DB
For real? I didn't know you were sick. Nor have I run across many posts from you at JREF. You remind me of a long time internet friend who died of cancer in January.

He never let anyone know in public. Despite the long painful death. Crusty bastard right up until the end. It sucks.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Before I die, I will enjoy. I suggest

such activity brings a warm smile to the face.
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

De_Bunk wrote:I agree...

This could all be true...and the person is genuinely depressed and needs a bit of sympathy at this time

Seriously...

DB
Paging Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner..

No, wait!!!!
TheAtheist

Post by TheAtheist »

Just so you know, someone has obviously checked this guy out in some way or other. Tim came in and posted his confirmation of the details.

Why did he choose JREF? He wants questions, I'll ask him.

Personally, I can't help but be in total awe of a bloke of 22 who's come to terms with his own death that he can display the attitude he is. Every other kid I've been involved with the death of, some god or other has been the glue that held it together.

Whether you personally want to have anything to do with Mondo is irrelevant, but don't go trying to shit on him - he's an honest and courageous kid.
robinson

Re:

Post by robinson »

robinson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:08 pm
De_Bunk wrote:

Seriously...

DB
For real? I didn't know you were sick. Nor have I run across many posts from you at JREF. You remind me of a long time internet friend who died of cancer in January.

He never let anyone know in public. Despite the long painful death. Crusty bastard right up until the end. It sucks.
Pyrrho

Re: Sit the Fuck Down and Shut the Fuck Up

Post by Pyrrho »

Yeah well given that the site does not use HTTPS and uses outdated software I wouldn't go there.

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/ww ... eptics.com