USA is #1

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

We can still nuke Detroit.

--J.D.
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Doctor X wrote:We can still nuke Detroit.

--J.D.
Would anyone notice?

I mean..I've been to Detroit.
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

clarsct wrote:

--J.D.
Would anyone notice?

What would the people who noticed think? Would they mind?

Well, I hope it's getting better!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

clarsct wrote:
Would anyone notice?
It would be considered "Urban Renewal."
You have my sympathies. . . .

--J.D.
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

It'd create a bloody mess at hospitals all over the region, and I'd likely get pulled off the current project into 24x7 coverage. So it'd interfere with my musicmaking. Plus, it'd be rather rude to Morticia.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

--J.D.
No arguments here, so long as the Red Wings are in town when we do it.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Anyone remember Kentucky Fried Movie? Specificaly the segment spoofing martial arts movies? The bad guy has the agent who has been spying on his operation brought before him. THe agent says "Do your worst! Beat me, pull out my fingernails! Poke me with hot irons, I won't talk!" (something like that, this is from memory)

The bad guy just looks him over and says "take him to DETROIT!"

"NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Hah! Detroit is a quiet lovely place filled with historic buildings and with views that remind me of the Bospherous.

After living in Brussels for nine years and travelling to the ME a few times Detroit is nothing.

:P
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:Hah! Detroit is a quiet lovely place filled with historic buildings and with views that remind me of the Bospherous.

After living in Brussels for nine years and travelling to the ME a few times Detroit is nothing.

:P
You can have it.
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

The DIA is cool, though once you've seen the room filled with Rivera frescos, you've seen it.

The DSO is cool, and has Izzy Perlman these days.
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Anyone remember Kentucky Fried Movie?
wasnt chevy chase in that? or was that the groove tube..
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

izittrue wrote:
Groove Tube.
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
izittrue wrote:
Groove Tube.
Pat Paulsen was in KFM. In the "Civil Rights for the Dead" skit.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Re: USA is #1

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Morticia wrote:
So why this perpetuation of the myth of USA is #1 even in the face of facts?
More perception than reality. But then again, in Europe we rarely get to see the good stuff about the US on the news or in the papers.

Shame.

Best of the US = Brilliant

The worst = Keep it.

Same as any other country you care to mention.

Pretty much an irrelevant topic.
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

Part of what makes the best of the USA potentially very very good is that there's a large pool to choose from.

I find this when I work with musicians from overseas. Musicians from small Eastern-European nations are often fearless and enthusiastic at tackling new music, but the best of such a smaller crop may be barely able to count. Same piece played by pretty-good musicians in, say, Moscow rather than Yerevan will often have a sheen of technical perfection without enthusiasm. There's a larger pool of performers in Russia... and a larger pool of available new music competing for their attention, too.

Interestingly enough, the worst performance in the past decade that purported to be of a piece of mine also took place in the USA. It was a mishmash by a part-time beginner brass quintet that was posing as a group of professionals.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

DrMatt wrote:Part of what makes the best of the USA potentially very very good is that there's a large pool to choose from.
Which is also what makes our worst very, very, bad
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Part of what makes the best of the USA potentially very very good is that there's a large pool to choose from.
Which is also what makes our worst very, very, bad
Badder than ol' King Cole, even.
Morticia

Post by Morticia »

So I went to the docs yesterday for a check up. I said that I'd put on a few kilos since arriving here without substantially changing my diet (all my expat friends have put on weight!).

She said it must be because the food here is the best. :|

I said it's because the food here is sweet and full of sugar and that from now I'm going to cook as much as everything as I can from fresh.

:knock:
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Morticia wrote:So I went to the docs yesterday for a check up. I said that I'd put on a few kilos since arriving here without substantially changing my diet (all my expat friends have put on weight!).

She said it must be because the food here is the best. :|

I said it's because the food here is sweet and full of sugar and that from now I'm going to cook as much as everything as I can from fresh.

:knock:
So you didn't change your diet but eat different food :?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

We did not want to ask you if you put on weight. . . .

--J.D.
TheAtheist

Post by TheAtheist »

Nyarlathotep wrote: My guess is that if I were to open a thread titled 'Why Australia is a stinking fetid hellhole',.
Ah, you've been there then!
gnome

Post by gnome »

DrMatt wrote: Badder than ol' King Cole, even.
But I thought he was a merry old soul...
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

TheAtheist wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote: My guess is that if I were to open a thread titled 'Why Australia is a stinking fetid hellhole',.
Ah, you've been there then!
No, but I DO watcht he Discovery Channel from time to time...
Morticia

Post by Morticia »

It's not about absolute qualities, but about comparitive qualities.

So anyway, someguy on the telly says the US should be leading the world in making changes to help stop Global Climate Change.

No one asks that the US be leaders, just that they be responsible for themselves. It's not a competition.

Big difference .

Oi you, the Kiwi. :P :P :P

About diet. The basic foodstuffs are made with different ingredients. Things like bread and cheese have added sugar and vegetables are grown to taste sweeter.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:
About diet. The basic foodstuffs are made with different ingredients. Things like bread and cheese have added sugar and vegetables are grown to taste sweeter.
Yeah, we subsist ona diet of 100% sugar over here. Even our steak isn't really beef, it's sugar pressed and formed to LOOK like a steak. :roll:

Evidence that US food is made with substantially more sugar than equivalent products anywhere else?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Morticia wrote:It's not about absolute qualities, but about comparitive qualities.

So anyway, someguy on the telly says the US should be leading the world in making changes to help stop Global Climate Change.

No one asks that the US be leaders, just that they be responsible for themselves. It's not a competition.

Big difference .

Oi you, the Kiwi. :P :P :P

Maybe if you eat McDonalds or other cheapt fast food place, but why the fuck would you be doing that and how that would relate to your previous diet.
Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Read the packet labels.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:Read the packet labels.
You claim this is true even for vegetables, which have no packet lables. Further just looking at the labels shows nothing by way of comparison. You claim this to be true over all, not just in a few instances which is all that could be proven even by showing some individual packet labels side by side.

You claim that US food has more sugar than equivalent non-US food, now you must back up your claim. I am especially interested in your claim that US cheese has sugar added to make it sweeter, since not only would a sweetened cheese taste weird, but I have never seen sugar added to cheese ever. I'm not even sure how one would go about doing it and still come out with cheese. As an ingredient in the same recipe, maybe, but I have never seen sugar sweetened cheese.
ck

Post by ck »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Morticia wrote:Read the packet labels.
You claim this is true even for vegetables, which have no packet lables. Further just looking at the labels shows nothing by way of comparison. You claim this to be true over all, not just in a few instances which is all that could be proven even by showing some individual packet labels. You claim that US food has more sugar than equivalent non-US food, now you must back up your claim. I am especially interested in your claim that US cheese has sugar added to make it sweeter, since not only would a sweetened cheese taste weird, but I have never seen sugar added to cheese ever. As an ingredient in the same recipe, maybe, but I have never seen sugar sweetened cheese.
Seeing as I have several different types of cheese in my refrigerator at this time, I decided to check this claim.

President brand, Brie cheese. Serving size 1 oz. Calories 80. Sugar: 0 grams. Ingredients: Brie, cheddar and mozzarella, nisaplin, milk powder, emulsifying agents.

Amish Country brand, Cream Havarti cheese. Serving size 1 oz. Calories 110. Sugar: 0 grams. Ingredients not listed, but since there are 0 grams of sugar, obviously it was not used in the making of this product.

Sargento brand, Deli-style Baby Swiss. Serving size 1 slice. Calories 70, Sugar: 0 grams . Ingredients: Pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto (vegetable color), natamycin (a natural mold inhibitor).

Sargento brand, Provolone cheese. Serving size 1 slice (19 grams). Calories 70. Sugar: 0 grams. Ingredients: Cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes.

So--four out of four cheeses in my fridge have absolutely no sugar. All purchased in the US, all readily available at most good-sized supermarkets in my area (and if they are available here, a rural area, then chances are they are available in Detroit and other similar-sized cities).

If anyone can demonstrate that we sweeten our cheese, I would seriously like to see that claim backed up, too.

If one is having a hard time finding food here with a low amount of sugar, one is just not putting that much effort into it. It is that simple.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

I have never gone into a restaurant or market and asked/looked for low-sugar cheese whilst in the US.
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:I have never gone into a restaurant or market and asked/looked for low-sugar cheese whilst in the US.

Actually, I would be upset if they sugared my cheese.

Eww...
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Well, there is the chocolate-covered cheese. . . .

--J.D.
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Doctor X wrote:Well, there is the chocolate-covered cheese. . . .

--J.D.
Wha???

Blech.

Obviously consumed by Philistines.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Or Aussies. . . .

--J.D.
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

Mascarpone cheese is used in a number of delicious desserts.

Occasionally I make a topping for various fruit desserts out of equal parts sour cream, cream cheese, and sugar with a touch of vanilla.

I have not made one in awhile, but I used to make Dark Chocolate Cheese Cakes on a regular basis.
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Mulebear wrote:Mascarpone cheese is used in a number of delicious desserts.

Occasionally I make a topping for various fruit desserts out of equal parts sour cream, cream cheese, and sugar with a touch of vanilla.

I have not made one in awhile, but I used to make Dark Chocolate Cheese Cakes on a regular basis.
Well, now...CHEESECAKE is something altogether different.

I was picturing chocolate covered cheddar, or something.

Doesn't sound right.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Some of the best moment of life were closing the Scottish pub with single malts to crawl to a literally all-night cafe with theater for a Mocha-of-Doom with a double-espresso chocolate cheese-cake.

You could go back in time. . . .

--J.D.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

As I said, maybe both as ingredients in the same recipe, but not cheese with sugar in it. And if Mascarpone Cheese is the exception to that ruel, my bet is that it is has sugar in Australia too.
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

Nyarlathotep wrote:

As I said, maybe both as ingredients in the same recipe, but not cheese with sugar in it. And if Mascarpone Cheese is the exception to that ruel, my bet is that it is has sugar in Australia too.
I wasn't saying that we in the United States have sugar in our cheeses. I simply wanted to make others aware that cheeses can be used in desserts.

By the way, most cheeses are made with salts and/or acids. lactose sugars are a byproduct of the cheese making process. Blessed are the Cheese Makers.
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

One more thing. Mascarpone is Italian. Cannoli anyone?