What's Up with Yahoo?

The war between wetware and hardware.
LizardPeople

What's Up with Yahoo?

Post by LizardPeople »

You used to be able to type in something like "Fleetwood Mac"and it would list the top ten or so Fleetwood Mac sites, with the top sites highlighted. Now it just shows up with a huge google-like list just like every other search engine on the planet. Have we lost a valuable resource here, and how long has this been going on before I realized it?
De_Bunk
Location: If you find that you have trouble..Just have a little drink..It is your friend.

Post by De_Bunk »

Yahoo..Shit...

Dubious "Terms and Conditions"

Even Google is getting a bit sneaky...

DB
mooseypops

Re: What's Up with Yahoo?

Post by mooseypops »

LizardPeople wrote:You used to be able to type in something like "Fleetwood Mac"and it would list the top ten or so Fleetwood Mac sites, with the top sites highlighted. Now it just shows up with a huge google-like list just like every other search engine on the planet. Have we lost a valuable resource here, and how long has this been going on before I realized it?
To the best of my knowledge, Google bought out Yahoo didn't they? It's been like that for a while. And highly annoying it is too
kookbreaker

Post by kookbreaker »

mooseypops wrote:
LizardPeople wrote: To the best of my knowledge, Google bought out Yahoo didn't they? It's been like that for a while. And highly annoying it is too
Google hasn't bought many search engines, but a lot of search engines now rent google's system. Their's usually sucked.

Yahoo and AOL are the first to come to mind.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Google hasn't bought many search engines, but a lot of search engines now rent google's system. Their's usually sucked.

Yahoo and AOL are the first to come to mind.[/quote]

Yahoo hasn’t been renting Google for a while now and uses their own system.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Got this message...they screwed up big time...supposedly, they've upgraded the accounts to 2 gigs of email storage. Well, they set it to negative 2 gigs...now my email is shut down because I've exceeded the negative 2 gigs by having half a meg of email in my inbox:
You are allowed up to -2048.0 MB storage in your Yahoo! Mail account.

You have exceeded your quota by a large amount, as you are currently using 0.6 MB of storage. Your account has been temporarily disabled from receiving new messages. Please delete messages you no longer need, especially large messages, in your Yahoo! Mail account so that you can receive new mail. To delete messages, just go to the Yahoo! Mail website (http://mail.yahoo.com) and sign in to your account.

We recommend that you keep at least 1 MB of free space to receive incoming mail. To reduce the likelihood of reaching or exceeding your storage quota, we suggest that you configure your POP3 client to "Delete messages from the server" when retrieving your Yahoo! Mail. Check the help files for your POP3 client if you need assistance in adjusting your settings.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo! Mail Team
rwald

Post by rwald »

Well, at least they didn't shut down your account back in 2000 because you were too young to be using it without an adult's permission (being more than -70 years old).
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I see we yahoo mail users have been upgraded to 100MB of space. It's times like this I wish I had more friends.
mooseypops

Post by mooseypops »

JamesM wrote:I see we yahoo mail users have been upgraded to 100MB of space. It's times like this I wish I had more friends.
I almost wish I hadn't given up on my yahoo accounts now. I'm using them less and less these days, because of the spam filter they have.

I have two email accounts with yahoo, one of which I'm phazing out. I have one email account with Hotmail, which I use exclusively to sign up for things like free Mr Clean Magic Erasers and free coupons etc. That I know I will be spammed to hell over. I'm currently getting on average 30 pieces of spam at Yahoo a day and 2 a week at Hotmail. To me that is plain messed up. I don't know if there's a setting I got in hotmail that I missed in yahoo or something, but I think it's crazy. And now I have 100MB in my yahoo . . . I'd rather have better spam filters myself.

Bleurgh.
kookbreaker

Post by kookbreaker »

FWIW, my yahoo email account just got upgraded to hold 2GB (paid account, 19.99/yr),. Guess they're feeling the heat from google mail.
De_Bunk
Location: If you find that you have trouble..Just have a little drink..It is your friend.

Post by De_Bunk »

Yahoo...

What a complete waste of time...

Filled with advertising...filled with garbage that no one wants...

And to top it all...my ISP has just joined up with them...for a "greater, internet experience"...

Within minutes of being forced to 'sign up'...( there was no option..either sign..or find another provider)...I got hit with over 600 spam emails. It was like my old provider had saved all this spam and when it joined Yahoo, just handed the spam mails over, which they promptly sent to me...

Fuck Yahoo..and fuck my provider...

DB
mooseypops

Post by mooseypops »

Man that bites, DB. Yeah Yahoo suck when it comes to spam. Hotmail has that great feature when you block someone of blocking anyone from that email domain e.g. if you emailed me from debunk@woowoo.com and I blocked you, I could choose to block EVERYONE from woowoo.com. Pretty nifty, eh?
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

I use "Mailwasher Pro"...

Any spam i receive on either my personal account or Hotmail...i can just bounce back as if the accounts don't exist...

With Mailwasher you can block domains / senders...and set it to automatically bounce and delete...

There's an excellent free version that will only work your personal email account....The Pro version only has a few added extras that are not really worth the purchase..(not that i actually paid for it... :wink: )..It just adds the ability to add web mail accounts...and a bit extra..

DB
max

Post by max »

I just typed in Fleetwood mac and got a whole list of pages from Yahoo. I do, however, have the Yahoo bar across the top of my screen. I got this installed from the Yahoo site. It also stops pop ups. maybe this is the key to getting yahoo pages. The bar is called ..Yahoo Companion.
Go to Yahoo.com and its listed under heading 'Oranisation' as Toolbar.

P.S if you still can't find it, search for....yahoo companion or....yahoo toolbar. Once it's installed you can click on 'view' right at the top of the screen, then toobars and you can either click on yahoo to have it displayed or not.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

max wrote:I just typed in Fleetwood mac and got a whole list of pages from Yahoo. I do, however, have the Yahoo bar across the top of my screen. I got this installed from the Yahoo site. It also stops pop ups. maybe this is the key to getting yahoo pages. The bar is called ..Yahoo Companion.
Go to Yahoo.com and its listed under heading 'Oranisation' as Toolbar.

P.S if you still can't find it, search for....yahoo companion or....yahoo toolbar. Once it's installed you can click on 'view' right at the top of the screen, then toobars and you can either click on yahoo to have it displayed or not.
Sorry Max, the Yahoo Tool Bar comes with it's own set of problems.
Roadtoad

Post by Roadtoad »

You know, when I first got DSL, I had SBC. It was actually Prodigy dressed up a bit, but worked pretty smooth, I had no problems with the system, and when I did, I got quick and easy answers that had me back online in minutes.

Then SBC merged with Yahoo.

I mean, what the hell is this? At least once a week, I get a load of BS from SBC Yahoo, telling me how they're "improving" everything in my life, while most of the time, all they've managed to do is complicate my internet service.

No, bro, just so it's clear: YAHOO FRIGGIN' SUCKS!
max

Post by max »

evolver
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Yahoo toolbar
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

Max...

Lose the Yahoo toolbar...

You know i dont talk shit...

DB

PS...Go to Adaware and download it....its free and then run it...

Then go to "SpyBot, Search and destroy" and download that...

Just watch what it removes from the Yahoo toolbar...

DB
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

I was forced by my ISP to accept their Yahoo collaboration...

In the end i had no choice...It was either change ISP's or accept..

I get good speed..and thats important to me...so i stayed..

Within minutes i had over 600 spam emails turn up in my account...

Thats right...600....

I complained...no answer...I complained again and again...still no reply...

They know what they have done..

Fuck Yahoo...

If anyone is running "ZoneAlarm Pro"...just see what spyware Yahoo tries to stick in your PC...fucking "Web Bugs"..."Tracking cookies"... Other cookies that have an expiry date of 99yrs...

Ever since i HAD to accept Yahoo...I have to add hundreds of pop up and pop under adverts to POW...

At least i aint never got to see them again...

Anybody that has or use's Yahoo...put your pop up stopper to its highest level...

I detest Yahoo...they are no better than the email spammers..

DB
max

Post by max »

De_Bunk
As you know I'm an old codger and knew nothing about computers two years back. I am on a cable broadband but have Yahoo as my home page. I have no trouble with them, neither do I get 600 spam emails. It's usually about 10 a day. I have Ad-aware, Spybot and AV Grisoft firewall. I sometimes use Pandaware for a quick test for viruses although AV does this once a month automatically. The question posed at the top of this thread is, why does he/she get Google instead of Yahoo when searching. I don't have that problem because incorporated in the Yahoo toolbar is a 'search' box. So far the bar has stopped 100 pop-ups. I vaguely recall you recommending the Google toolbar at one time and I installed that. I have now uninstalled it as it was causing problems. Maybe it's different servers that cause computers different problems but posters could try the Yahoo toolbar then uninstall if it proves to be troublesome.
I have taken your tips on PC care, this is why I have the above mentioned spyware etc . They have been good tips but on this occasion I have to say that posters should try out for themselves on Yahoo if they wish Yahoo to come up with pages of websites and not Google. The Google toolbar I installed continually caused their home page to come up on my screen each time I booted up, instead of Yahoo which I had selected. This is another reason I uninstalled it.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

max wrote:evolver
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Yahoo toolbar
Maybe not that you've noticed.

In my job (Network & PC technician) I have spent too many hours cleaning out junk like that from computers. The Yahoo toolbar opens you up for more insidious spyware.

Just yesterday I had to help a co-worker get rid of "Webtools". Not fun.
max

Post by max »

I don't doubt your word Evolver, I'm just relating that I personnally haven't had any problems in two years with Yahoo.
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

Max..

I was the one who warned AGAINST the Google toolbar....

Shit on a stick, Max...get your ol' codger memory into gear...:D

Anyways...my ol' favorite silver surfer...

Go download something called "SpywareBlaster" ( it stops shit being downloaded in the first place...and its free...)

But never accept any tool bars...browser helpers...or anything like that...

If you get any problems...im sure you got my personal email address...and i'll talk you through...

Your one of the old skool posters from the JREF....and i class as a friend of mine...

Any probs...contact me...I'll help you...

But you have learnt so much in these two years...why dont you teach others...there is an awful lot of older people who are afraid of the web...whereas you grabbed it by the bollox and worked your way through it...Tell them...Tell them what they are missing out on...

You enjoy the web...why shouldnt they...

Anyway..thinking about it...you're probably the oldest member here...and that deserves respect...

Im glad i know you...

DB
max

Post by max »

Thanks De_Bunk that's nice :D
rwald

Post by rwald »

De_Bunk, what's your opinion on ieSpell? That alwasy seemed like a helpful, innocuous IE add-on.
De_Bunk

Post by De_Bunk »

Ive checked out IESpell...

Seems clean...

Adds an icon to your toolbar and a right click menu..

Download it...run it...See if your firewall ask you for permission to connect..

I cant see why it should want to connect (only for updates...etc )

Im always a bit dubious of progs that try and connect for no apparent reason...

If its a standalone prog it shouldnt want to connect...

If its ad supported just block it with your firewall...and normally the ads vanish or you only see the ones that were downloaded with it.

Be careful it dont come wrapped with Gator or Bonzi Buddy...

DB
rwald

Post by rwald »

Gator is now called Claria. I'm sure you know this, De_Bunk, but others may not.