RCC's poker challenge: signup thread

Stump your fellow simians.
RCC

RCC's poker challenge: signup thread

Post by RCC »

This is the first attempt to hold a poker tournament on this very forum. The entry is free and first prize is a whopping $5 payable into a pokerstars account. If you have no such account and do not want one, I hope you play and win 'cause you ain't gettin squat...

This tournament is limited to the first 10 players to say they want to play and will start Tuesday, August 17 at noon (eastern U.S. time), or when we get six players, whichever is later.

How it works

Seats will be randomly assigned 1-10, the button starts on seat 1, there will be two blinds.

The dealer (me) (no, I won't be playing, for reasons that will soon be obvious) will send each player via PM their hole cards. At that point the action begins with the person after the big blind just like a regular poker game with that player posting their decision to fold, call, or raise. The action then is on the next player and so on. There is a 24 hour time limit when it is your turn. It is possible that people who have lives may have to fold out here or there, but this isn't for a million bucks so no bfd. Community cards will then be posted by the dealer, and then another round of betting and so on up to the river, when the dealer will post the results accordingly, update chip totals, and deal the next hand.

The cards will be determined by me actually shuffling and dealing cards.

Each player will start with 20 chips.

The blind structure as follows, each level lasting 10 hands:

1-2
2-4
3-6
4-8
5-10
7-14
10-20
15-30 (until a winner as there are only 200 total chips)

First ten to sign up get in. Sign up by posting and saying you want to play...

Edited to add- expanded to ten people...
Last edited by RCC on Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
varwoche

Post by varwoche »

In.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

OK I'm in, but unlike many of the slugs that populate this place, I work, so I might slow things down some. :D

This seems like it will take a long time. Maybe by round 3 or 4 I will have acquired a few poker skills.

[shameless fix attempt]As for the prize, should I win (which is about the same probability as Nader winning), I graciously donate the prize back to the dealer for his efforts.[/shameless fix attempt]
Last edited by shemp on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 »

I'm in!

Adam
Skeeve

Re: RCC's poker challenge:

Post by Skeeve »

RCC wrote:The blind structure as follows, each level lasting 10 hands:
What's a blind structure?
RCC

Post by RCC »

Skeeve wrote:
Blinds are forced bets used in certain poker games, sort of like an ante except that unlike an ante they are treated as bets that other players must call or raise to stay in. In a tournament these blinds increase over time to ensure that people get knocked out.

How exactly the blinds are raised is known as the blind structure.
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

RCC wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
Blinds are forced bets used in certain poker games, sort of like an ante except that unlike an ante they are treated as bets that other players must call or raise to stay in. In a tournament these blinds increase over time to ensure that people get knocked out.

I know what an ante is.

When are these forced bets forced? I understand an ante to be a forced bet that you have to make in order to receive your initial hand, from your description, at least. That would imply that there are other times that there is a forced bet. How and when is a bet forced?

I'm actually interested in your game, except that I won't accept any winning if I would win, a doubtful idea in itself, but I would like to understand the game fully before I start, so as to not spoil it for the experts.
RCC

Post by RCC »

Skeeve wrote:
RCC wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

I know what an ante is.

When are these forced bets forced? I understand an ante to be a forced bet that you have to make in order to receive your initial hand, from your description, at least. That would imply that there are other times that there is a forced bet. How and when is a bet forced?

I'm actually interested in your game, except that I won't accept any winning if I would win, a doubtful idea in itself, but I would like to understand the game fully before I start, so as to not spoil it for the experts.
A blind is usually used in place of an ante, like in this tournament where there will never be an ante. How it works is that the player after the dealer must bet an amount called the small blind, and the next player must bet twice that amount, called the big blind.

Seat 1 = dealer (or button, if it is a game with a non-playing dealer)
Seat 2 = small blind, posts 1 chip
seat 3 = big blind - posts 2 chips
Seat 4,5,6 and 1 post nothing, but must call at least the big blind to stay in the hand.

The difference between this and an ante is that with an ante all players must put in the same amount so it has no effect on the first round of betting. Here, the player after the big blind at the start of the hand must call the seat 2's "blind" bet to stay in the hand.
Last edited by RCC on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shemp

Post by shemp »

I thought the players had to call the big blind, not the small blind.
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

RCC wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
RCC wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

I know what an ante is.

A blind is usually used in place of an ante, like in this tournament where there will never be an ante. How it works is that the player after the dealer must bet an amount called the small blind, and the next player must bet twice that amount, called the big blind.

Seat 1 = dealer (or button, if it is a game with a non-playing dealer)
Seat 2 = small blind, posts 1 chip
seat 3 = big blind - posts 2 chips
Seat 4,5,6 and 1 post nothing, but must call at least the small blind to stay in the hand.

The difference between this and an ante is that with an ante all players must put in the same amount so it has no effect on the first round of betting. Here, the player after the big blind at the start of the hand must call the seat 2's "blind" bet to stay in the hand.
I think I understand. Please allow me to restate the situation as I understand it.

In order to see cards, seat 2 must post the small blind, and seat 3 the big blind. Other seats may see their cards, but must post at least small blind in order to stay in the hand. Alternatively, you could mean that other seats can not join the hand at all without meeting the small blind.

Or, perhaps you could mean the same, but that seats 2 and 3 are allowed to see their hands before deciding if they can fold. That would seem to defeat the speedup purpose of the design, if I understand correctly.

This would seem to put seat 3 in a spot. What am I failing to understand?
varwoche

Post by varwoche »

In the spirit of election season and irrelevent partisanship, and rarely one to pass up a glib jibe, I suggest that Rebecca be reserved a seat due to legacy status.

edit to add: amongst other reasons
RCC

Post by RCC »

shemp wrote:I thought the players had to call the big blind, not the small blind.
Yes, the big blind. That is what my post says.

( after I edited it)
RCC

Post by RCC »

Skeeve wrote:
I think I understand. Please allow me to restate the situation as I understand it.

In order to see cards, seat 2 must post the small blind, and seat 3 the big blind. Other seats may see their cards, but must post at least small blind in order to stay in the hand. Alternatively, you could mean that other seats can not join the hand at all without meeting the small blind.
I messed up. They must all call the big blind. Even seat 2 must still call the additional one chip if seat 2 wants to stay in the hand.

After seats 2 and 3 post blinds, all see their cards and the hand proceeds as if seat 2 bet one chip and seat 3 raised an additional chip. It is just that these bets are done before the cards are dealt and are in a tournament mandatory.
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

RCC wrote:
shemp wrote:I thought the players had to call the big blind, not the small blind.

( after I edited it)
So, then, 2nd and 3rd seat have to pay to play, other seats don't, if they don't like what they see?
RCC

Post by RCC »

Skeeve wrote:
RCC wrote:

( after I edited it)
So, then, 2nd and 3rd seat have to pay to play, other seats don't, if they don't like what they see?
Correct, however the next hand the dealer button moves to seat 2 and then seats 3 and 4 must post, then after that hand the button goes to seat 3 and 4 and 5 must post and so on. Only 2 players are forced to put chips into the pot, but that responsibility rotates around the table.
RCC

Post by RCC »

varwoche wrote:In the spirit of election season and irrelevent partisanship, and rarely one to pass up a glib jibe, I suggest that Rebecca be reserved a seat due to legacy status.

OK... so far we have

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
rebecca (assuming she wants it)

with Skeeve still deciding whether she wants to play.
Skeptoid

Post by Skeptoid »

I'll play. :shock:
lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

I'll happily play if rebecca or skeeve decide not to.
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

RCC wrote:
varwoche wrote:In the spirit of election season and irrelevent partisanship, and rarely one to pass up a glib jibe, I suggest that Rebecca be reserved a seat due to legacy status.

OK... so far we have

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357

with Skeeve still deciding whether she wants to play.
Ok, I'll be the confused newbie. If I win, you have to take your $5.00 and go have a drink on me, RCC.
Cecil

Post by Cecil »

*hops on to the waiting list*

If nobody drops out, I'll just kibitz. ;)
RCC

Post by RCC »

It looks like:

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
Skeeve
skeptiod
Iofgernost
Cecil

I think we are limited to one table to keep things from getting too weird, but we can go to ten people without too much trouble so lets just do that due to the sudden demand...

So we have two spots left...
renata

Post by renata »

Put me on the confused newbie waiting list :) If no serious players come along to take the spot, you can all gang up on me.

Gotta learn those suits...
shemp

Post by shemp »

renata wrote:Put me on the confused newbie waiting list :) If no serious players come along to take the spot, you can all gang up on me.
[sexist pig mode]That's my fantasy![/sexist pig mode]
shemp

Post by shemp »

RCC wrote:

( after I edited it)
I would make a big stink about this, but it's always best to stay on the good side of the dealer.
MLynn

Post by MLynn »

I'm too late - bummer!
varwoche

Post by varwoche »

shemp wrote:OK I'm in, but unlike many of the slugs that populate this place, I work... :D
Oh the self-rightousness! A real Jimmy Swaggart here says me.

Unlike many of the (not so?) petty criminals here, I'm self-employed!
:wink:
RCC

Post by RCC »

As of now, eight out of 10 seats accounted for...

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
Skeeve
skeptiod
Iofgernost
Cecil

Renata is the first alternate, if we get less than two more or if rebecca declines, she is in (or if she wants an empty seat before it fills)
RCC

Post by RCC »

varwoche wrote:
shemp wrote:OK I'm in, but unlike many of the slugs that populate this place, I work... :D
Oh the self-rightousness! A real Jimmy Swaggart here says me.

Unlike many of the (not so?) petty criminals here, I'm self-employed!
:wink:
Weird. My self is employed, but the criminals I work with are far, far from petty, so it is a tossup whether society is better served by me working really hard or just goofing off. So I do both...
RCC

Post by RCC »

RCC wrote:As of now, eight out of 10 seats accounted for...

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
Skeeve
skeptiod
Iofgernost
Cecil

Renata is the first alternate, if we get less than two more or if rebecca declines, she is in (or if she wants an empty seat before it fills)
It also occurs to me that alternates can take over for those that quit or disappear before they bust out... This game could take a while...
RCC

Post by RCC »

Nine so far... One seat remains...

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
rebecca (assuming she wants it) (the seat that is) (not mine, the one in the game...)
Skeeve
skeptiod
Iofgernost
Cecil
MLynn

rebecca

Post by rebecca »

Sho' thang, I'm in, shut the fuck up and deal.

Er, I mean, shuffle up and deal. :twisted:
davefoc

Post by davefoc »

seems like I'm too late, but if an opening develops I'd like to play. thanks
RCC

Post by RCC »

davefoc wrote:seems like I'm too late, but if an opening develops I'd like to play. thanks
SOLD!!

We have a starting lineup:

varwoche
shemp
slimshady2357
rebecca
Skeeve
skeptiod
Iofgernost
Cecil
MLynn
davefoc

Alt list:
renata

In a new thread I will post the seating information as well as some basic guidelines sometime before noon (I will use eastern U.S. time just because I am not afraid to abuse my powers) on Tuesday. The tournament will start at Tuesday around noon.
lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

I'm putting on my goggles for this!
rebecca

Post by rebecca »

lofgeornost wrote:I'm putting on my goggles for this!
Are you trying to distract me?
lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

rebecca wrote:
Why. Was it distracting?

I'm going to need every advantage I can wrangle out of you folks.

I do wear goggles for many hours a day, anyway. May as well leave them on for this - like all those dudes on ESPN in their fancy shades and hooded sweatshirts.
rebecca

Post by rebecca »

lofgeornost wrote:rebecca wrote:
Why. Was it distracting?

I'm going to need every advantage I can wrangle out of you folks.

I do wear goggles for many hours a day, anyway. May as well leave them on for this - like all those dudes on ESPN in their fancy shades and hooded sweatshirts.
I imagine it will be more distracting for everyone else, to have two completely unrelated people both wearing goggles at the table.

And by the way, I'm playing topless.
lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

rebecca wrote
And by the way, I'm playing topless.
...and here I am stuck between Shemp and a soon-to-be Sammy Farha.