Monday's Cryptoquote

Stump your fellow simians.
whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Monday's Cryptoquote

Post by whitefork »

Not difficult but pleasingly worded. Chiasmus, I think?

Ceptimus, do you still have that applet?

FK SPNVNKFA JPNYXP NG KSY SKX JCS NLNYFYXG KSUSBR, UWY SKX JCSL KSUSBR DFK NLNYFYX.

- QNGDSWKY BX DCFYXFWUPNFKB
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Monday's Cryptoquote

Post by Rob Lister »

Doctor Mabuse wrote:Not difficult but pleasingly worded. Chiasmus, I think?

FK SPNVNKFA JPNYXP NG KSY SKX JCS NLNYFYXG KSUSBR, UWY SKX JCSL KSUSBR DFK NLNYFYX.

AN ORIGINAL WRITER IS NOT ONE WHO IMITATES NOBODY, BUT ONE WHOM NOBODY CAN IMITATE.

- VISCOUNT DE CHATEAUBRIAND
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Doctor Mabuse wrote:Not difficult but pleasingly worded. Chiasmus, I think?

Yes. Here it is:

<div ALIGN="CENTER"><APPLET code="crypto.class" codebase="http://www.mround.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/JREF/applets" width="512" height="256"></APPLET></div>

The 'key' for this one (type it in the bottom textbox, having pasted the cypher text into the 'Decoding Aid' upper Cypher textbox) is:

LDHC.AS..WNM.I.RVYO.BGUET.

Sometimes, there is a hidden message in the 'key', but I don't see one here.

* Looks sideways at Rob Lister for not hiding his answer in a spoiler box. *
whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Thank you both. The part that jumped out at me was the author's name - had to be "de" or "le" something, and then all of a sudden there was chateaubriand. Now I want a steak.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

* Looks sideways at Rob Lister for not hiding his answer in a spoiler box. *

What's a spoiler box? Are there UBB codes for that?
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Rob Lister wrote:* Looks sideways at Rob Lister for not hiding his answer in a spoiler box. *

I don't think there are any. But it would be a good idea. I'll ask Girl 6.

For now we do them by hand using HTML. Have a look at the '1 to 9' thread in this forum, and specifically the eighth post, where I posted a little tutorial on how to do them.

Here's an example:<br><br><table><tr bgcolor="#c0c0e0"><td> Spoiler - 'select' text using mouse, or press Ctrl-A to reveal. </td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td><br>This text is invisible until deliberately revealed. This is a good way of hiding 'spoiler' answers, especially in the puzzles forum, so that the puzzle isn't spoilt for someone who wants to solve it for themself.

I'll ask Girl 6 if we can have a set of
Spoiler:
...this will be hidden... [/spolier] tags, so it's easier to post these spoilers.<br><br></td></tr></table><br>
exarch

Post by exarch »

ceptimus wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:* Looks sideways at Rob Lister for not hiding his answer in a spoiler box. *

I don't think there are any. But it would be a good idea. I'll ask Girl 6.

For now we do them by hand using HTML. Have a look at the '1 to 9' thread in this forum, and specifically the eighth post, where I posted a little tutorial on how to do them.

Here's an example:<br><br><table><tr bgcolor="#c0c0e0"><td> Spoiler - 'select' text using mouse, or press Ctrl-A to reveal. </td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td><br>This text is invisible until deliberately revealed. This is a good way of hiding 'spoiler' answers, especially in the puzzles forum, so that the puzzle isn't spoilt for someone who wants to solve it for themself.

I'll ask Girl 6 if we can have a set of
Spoiler:
...this will be hidden... [/spolier] tags, so it's easier to post these spoilers.<br><br></td></tr></table><br>
The added benefit of spoiler tags is the ability to render them in different colours so as not to clash too much with the different skins. I can imagine your spoilerbox with it's white background to look nice in your skin (it looks OK in mine, although my colour-scheme is blue/grey, no purple), but there's one skin that has a black background IIRC, which would make this box rather painfull on the eyes.