Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japan's sluggish vaccination campaign seems to be finally picking up pace. Almost 15 million shots given so far. About 5 million of which within the last 7 days. It took almost 3 months to administer the first 5 million shots. About 2 weeks to administer the next 5 million.

Meanwhile, Japan is now giving away some of its vaccine supply:

Japan to give 1.2 mil. COVID vaccine doses to Taiwan, possibly Fri. (For reference, the population of Taiwan is about 23.5 million.)
shuize

Post by shuize »

Yes, there's talk of starting vaccinations at universities.

I'd sort of appreciate it if they didn't give away their vaccine supply before I've at least been offered a chance to get it.

But I guess some gaijin are more equal than others.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

They're giving away some AstraZeneca doses, which aren't being used here for some reason. I think it has been approved for use though.

Either way, they have plenty of doses here. The bottleneck is the speed at which the government can actually get shots into arms. There's apparently more than enough doses to go around, or will be soon.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This article is a bit out of date by now, but it says they have like 30 million doses of AstraZeneca, 28 million of Pfizer, and I'm not sure how many Moderna, but I do know that they are using Moderna for some "mass vaccination" sites.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityar ... beb08141c9

And more is on the way.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... l-suicide/
A senior official at the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) jumped in front of an underground train in an apparent suicide on Monday morning, private broadcaster Nippon Television said, citing Tokyo metropolitan police sources.

The police are investigating the details surrounding the death of the official, Yasushi Moriya, 52, viewing it as apparent suicide, the television network said.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

あ〜

– J.D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan accused of ‘massaging’ coronavirus figures ahead of Tokyo Olympics
  • A new counting method adopted in June leaves out some groups from bed occupancy figures, immediately bringing some areas to within the limits set by medical advisers for a safe Games
  • Critics accuse the health ministry of a ‘blatant attempt to make things appear better than they are’, while health experts warn another wave of infections is inevitable and could peak just as the Olympics begin
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-e ... ures-ahead
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan creates its first law requiring permits for crossbow possession

Japan’s House of Representatives held a plenary session on June 8, and the days discussions of matters of national legislative importance eventually turned to crossbows.

Surprisingly, despite spelling out rules and regulations regarding all sorts of weaponry, Japan’s Firearm and Sword Control Law apparently had no preexisting rules, specifically no specific ordinances, relating to crossbows, of either the two-handed or single-handed pistol crossbow/bow gun variety, perhaps because crossbows are technically neither firearms or swords. As a result, up to now there’s been no specific licensing required for their possession or use. Much like in a fantasy role-playing video game, if you had enough money to pay for a crossbow, you could buy one and use it as you personally saw fit.

That’ll be changing soon, though, as the House of Representatives passed a motion to amend the Firearm and Sword Control Law, and once it goes into effect Japanese residents will need a permit from their Prefectural Public Safety Commission in order to possess a crossbow. The requirement is modeled after one already in place for air rifle ownership, which requires the completion of safety classes and for the owner to be at least 18 years of age.
https://japantoday.com/category/crime/j ... possession
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:57 am Japan's sluggish vaccination campaign seems to be finally picking up pace. Almost 15 million shots given so far. About 5 million of which within the last 7 days. It took almost 3 months to administer the first 5 million shots. About 2 weeks to administer the next 5 million.
Just a little update on this: The latest total is over 26 million doses now. That works out to over 11 million in the last 13 days. The latest figures are available here (in Japanese). They are only updated once a day on weekdays.

I've been waiting patiently for my turn, but it looks like they are about to just open it up for everybody. There's just one more thing I need before I can try to book an appointment though: a vaccine voucher. The government will mail one to my house eventually but I don't know when that will be.

Mass vaccination sites in Tokyo, Osaka open for people 18 to 64
The eligibility criteria for getting a coronavirus vaccine at mass vaccination centers operated by the Self-Defense Forces in Tokyo and Osaka will be expanded to include people between the ages of 18 and 64, officials said.

The Defense Ministry announced the policy change on June 15, after it became evident that many vaccination slots were going unbooked.

People will be eligible to receive a shot there if they present a vaccine voucher issued by their local government and if it is their first dose.

Health care workers are distributing the Moderna vaccine at the two sites. The use of the Moderna vaccine is authorized for people 18 or older.
Most people here are getting the Pfizer vaccine. The two "mass vaccination" sites run by the SDF are the only ones that I am aware of where Moderna is being used. I don't know if that's because there's a perception that the Pfizer vaccine the best one. My wife mentioned that she wanted to wait for Pfizer. I do know that Japan is using only the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in Japan and is using its "stockpile" of AstraZeneca to donate to other countries, such as Taiwan and Vietnam. Also, politics seems to be playing a role in that.

But as soon as I get my vaccine voucher I'll be trying to book an appointment.

It's a shame because most of these appointments are going unfilled:
Official data shows that from June 16 to June 27, about 70 percent of 120,000 slots available in total at the Tokyo center remained empty. As for the Osaka center, about 60 percent of a total of 60,000 slots were vacant over the same period.

More than 80 percent of the slots at the centers from June 21 to June 27 were not filled.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Yes, it looks like Japan has finally gotten off its ass.

I own shares in Pfizer, and everything being equal, I would have chosen that one.

But since the earliest mass vaccination I'm eligible for will be using Moderna, I guess I'll be getting that one in the next few weeks.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

shuize wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am Yes, it looks like Japan has finally gotten off its ass.

I own shares in Pfizer, and everything being equal, I would have chosen that one.

But since the earliest mass vaccination I'm eligible for will be using Moderna, I guess I'll be getting that one in the next few weeks.
Do you have a 接種券 yet? (vaccine voucher)
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Okinawa police blasted for searching home of researcher exposing US military waste issues

NAHA -- A home search conducted earlier this month on a butterfly researcher suspected of forcible obstruction of business by placing U.S. military waste in front of a training area gate in northern Okinawa Prefecture has prompted criticism of the Okinawa Prefectural Police from the researcher and multiple civic groups.

On June 4, Okinawa Prefectural Police searched the home of Akino Miyagi, 42, who has been exposing the presence of massive amounts of military waste left by U.S. forces in part of a former training area in northern Okinawa Prefecture that U.S. troops returned to Japan. It is believed the charges are based on Miyagi placing some of the waste she found in front of a training center gate.

Miyagi said, however, "Even though I reported this waste's existence to prefectural police, they didn't come to recover it. Then they searched my home, when I'm the one who protested their failure to take back the waste. Doesn't this constitute excessive investigation?"

According to Miyagi, the prefectural police's security department searched her home in the northern Okinawa village of Higashi for about an hour and a half on June 4. They confiscated items including her computer, video camera and cell phone.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/019000c
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japan to start issuing vaccine passports in July
Japan plans to issue so-called vaccine passports from around mid- to late July as more activities around the world open up to people who have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, the nation's top government spokesman said Thursday.

The government is asking other countries to exempt travelers carrying the documents that officially certify their vaccination status from quarantine or to shorten the quarantine period, government sources said earlier.

"To prepare for prompt issuance, we will first issue the vaccination certificates by paper but will also make consideration for their issuance in the digital format," said Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato at a regular press conference.

Business circles in Japan have been calling for the introduction of vaccine passports as economic activities reopen, hoping to revive travel.

The European Union and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations are also introducing vaccination certificates for international travelers from their member states.

The certificate, to be issued by municipalities using the central government's records, will include the holder's name, birthdate, passport number, date of vaccination and the vaccine manufacturer in Japanese and English.
Hopefully this will also eliminate the requirement for a negative PCR test before boarding and after arrival.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Funazushi: the Fermented Predecessor of Modern Sushi

On any fine day in spring, when the sky is clear and the waters of nearby Lake Biwa are calm enough for locals to go carp fishing, you can find Mariko Kitamura and her husband Atsushi at their shop Kitashina in the small Japanese town of Takashima making sushi.

With the dexterity and speed you'd expect from sushi chefs, they scrape off the fish's scales with a knife, remove its gills and carefully angle a skewer down its throat to remove its innards without penetrating its flesh. But what happens next is truly unexpected. They pack the fish with salt, layer them in a wooden tub, weigh the lid down with 30kg stones and leave them to cure for two years. Each fish is then thoroughly rinsed, dried in the sun for a day and fermented for one more year in cooked rice before it is ready to be eaten.

This is not the kind of sushi you might get in New York or London, or even easily in Tokyo for that matter. It is the predecessor of what the world now knows as sushi – the original sushi – called narezushi (fermented sushi). Kitamura's family has been making it for 18 generations, ever since Kitashina opened in 1619 in this remote corner of Shiga prefecture, and today the centuries-old shop is one of a handful of places left in Japan, and the world, where you can experience how "real" sushi is supposed to taste.

Bugger'd by Colonists
– J.D.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Speaking of rolled up and stored away.

Here's a rather Japanese thing.*

Dead bodies rolled up and stashed in futons.

My guess is it's related to collecting benefits.

The headline made me laugh:

「4人暮らし 家の布団に腐敗進んだ遺体…住人の男性か 死後数ヶ月経過とみられ同居の妻らから事情聴く」

Loose translation:

"Body in advanced state of decomposition discovered rolled up in family futon -- possible male resident? -- police question wife and others about months old body propped up in the corner." **

* The futon part, that is.

** Ok. I added that last part. But it's still funny.

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/entertai ... d=msedgntp
Witness

Post by Witness »

COVID: Tokyo scraps public viewing of Olympics

Authorities have canceled all public viewing events to reduce the risk of coronavirus infections at a time when Japan is struggling to speed up its inoculation efforts.

Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said on Saturday that the city administration is canceling all public viewing events in the Japanese capital to prevent the risk of a surge in coronavirus infections.

"These are necessary measures to make the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics a success,'' she told reporters after meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga.

There had been six planned viewing sites across the Japanese capital, including Inokashira and Yoyogi parks as well as a university in Tokyo.

Koike said the sites will now instead be offered as COVID vaccination centers.
https://www.dw.com/en/covid-tokyo-scrap ... a-57964417
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

In yesterday's haul of free kindle books from amazon, I got these two:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ZdkS9YOkS.jpg https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51AdMcRYQuS.jpg

• A Night Walk in Sarue Park on a Warm Light Rainy Day in June (Tokyo Everyday Scenery Book 4)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097F5PM2K/
  • A Night Walk in Sarue Park on a Warm Light Rainy Day in June (Japanese Edition)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097F61YDM/

Both are still free as I write this, so get 'em while you can.

Fun Trivia: I now have all 18 of this author's books. Just as with the hobby of stamp collecting, sometimes the joy is in finally getting a complete set.

Thought for the Day: You too can publish some books on amazon and make piles of money giving them away for free.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile . . .
Tokyo man arrested after letting schoolgirl live with him

Among the anime that premiered this spring was Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway. The lengthy title covers most of the premise, as it’s a story about a single young adult salaryman who lets a runaway schoolgirl live with him while she figures out what the next stage of her life is going to be.

It’s not the most preposterous setup ever for an anime series, but it’s definitely a case where the situation would quickly lose just about any pretense of wholesomeness in real life. As proof, 29-year-old Takeharu Komiya has been arrested following four days of cohabiting with a high school girl who ran away from home.

The two became acquainted through social media, where the girl had posted about wanting to leave home, eventually telling Komiya “I’d be happy if you’d give me the option of running away to your place.” He agreed, and on June 13 the girl made her way from her home in Saitama Prefecture, which borders Tokyo to the north, to Komiya’s condominium in Tokyo’s Chiyoda Ward.

The girl’s parents, who were unaware of what their daughter had done, contacted the police when she didn’t come home that night. The ensuing search led them to Komiya’s condo, where he and the girl were both present. Komiya has admitted to the course of events outlined above and was placed under arrest on suspicion of abducting a minor. The girl showed no sign of injuries.

There’s perhaps a claim to be made that since the girl was apparently the one who initially floated the idea of living at Komiya’s condo, and came of her own free will once he agreed, that “abducting” isn’t the right word for what he did. That’s a semantics argument, though, and in the eyes of the law, saying “Sure!” when a minor asks if they can live with you without their parents’ consent, that’s still generally considered kidnapping. Granted, that’s something laymen might not realize on their own, but with Komiya being a lawyer by profession, you’d expect him to have been conscious of the legal ramifications of what he was doing.

Wocket . . . NUUZU
– J.D.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

That skirt is a bit too long to be fashionable.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://i.imgur.com/q4O86VH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ube3RcD.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

Bear shot dead after rampage through Sapporo in Japan

Animal ‘exterminated’ after it bounded through the city, injuring four people

Asian black bears are native to large parts of Japan, including the country’s main island, while brown bears roam Hokkaido farther north.

The Japan Bear and Forest Society has warned that forest-dwelling bears are being spotted in greater numbers in areas inhabited by humans as they search for food.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... o-in-japan
shuize

Post by shuize »

The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld the death sentence given to a 74-year-old woman dubbed the “black widow” for murdering her husband and two common-law partners with poison in western Japan between 2012 and 2013 to inherit money and escape debt.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... ty-upheld/

The English version mentions three people, but at 0:35 the Japanese news video below says she killed four. At 2:12, the defendant is also quoted as saying she had a reason for killing each of the four. (Oops!)

I've been told there is an informal rule in Japan that four is the magic number guaranteeing a death sentence.*

* Also known as the "Nagayama Standard" after Norio Nagayama who killed four people. The trial court imposed the death penalty which was reduced to a life sentence by the Tokyo High Court. Unfortunately for Nagayama, his life sentence was overturned by the Japanese Supreme Court and he was sent back to death row where he was executed in 1997.
shuize

Post by shuize »

冷蔵庫に2遺体、1人は住民男性 床に引きずった跡

29日午前0時45分ごろ、福岡市西区横浜2丁目の2階建て住宅で、高齢の男女の遺体が見つかった。福岡県警が29日発表した。冷蔵庫の中に入れられており、男性はこの家の住民と判明。女性はその妻とみられる。一緒に住む次男と連絡がとれていないといい、県警は行方を捜している。

県警は死体遺棄事件とみて、西署に捜査本部を設置した。

Loose translation: "Two elderly bodies found in refrigerator. Drag marks. House locked. Son missing."

As they always do, Japanese police have opened an investigation for possible illegal disposal of a corpse.

I know who I'm putting my money on.

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://apnews.com/article/tokyo-4943c4 ... 595065ec24
A powerful mudslide carrying a deluge of black water and debris crashed into rows of houses in a town west of Tokyo following heavy rains on Saturday, leaving at least 19 people missing, officials said.

As many as 80 homes in Atami were completely buried, according to an official with the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

The official said more people, possibly 100, could still be missing under the mudslides but warned that details were not immediately clear. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as is often policy at Japanese bureaucracies, stressed that aggressive rescue operations were underway to find survivors.

:(
shuize

Post by shuize »

Videos of the landslide:

Spoiler:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Just saw it, that's nuts. Are those kind of landslides hard to anticipate?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Some people are more lucky.

shuize

Post by shuize »

I don't know anything about the physics behind landslides. But I read that there had been a record amount of rain in the area recently.
shuize

Post by shuize »

A photo of the origin of the landslide at the link below.

The accompanying article says the landslide was approximately a kilometer long, up to 120 meters wide, 120,000 square meters in volume and involved 130 houses.

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

In this photo, one can see that the "slump" zone started a bit lower than the road area, which would have followed along when the lower portion began to move. You can see the fracture lines across the vegetation at about 20% of the image height.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/ten ... 60&o=f&l=f

Examples of slump:

http://www.geologyin.com/2015/02/types- ... ebris.html

Unfortunately these things often happen suddenly. Monitoring might be of some use but it doesn't seem likely that it would have helped in this case.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Who the Hell Keeps Unplugging the Vaccine Fridges Right Before the Olympics?

As Japan plunges towards the Olympics, the baffling mystery of who is responsible for thousands of ruined vaccine doses is gripping the country.

TOKYO—All across Japan, it seems that some people may be pulling the plugs on refrigerators holding anti-COVID vaccines.

While some of the incidents may be accidents, it appears that many of these reported cases were deliberate. And with thousands of doses already lost and the apparent sabotage showing no signs of slowing down, Japanese police are beginning to investigate why this is happening.

Some are pointing fingers at anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists. In June, people began rallying around an abominable hashtag that translates to “pull the plug.” With COVID numbers rising rapidly in Tokyo before the Olympics—closing in on a thousand a day—and vaccine supplies running out, this interference may make the already troubled “pandemic games” an even bigger disaster.

Since May of this year, six Japanese prefectures have reported that the cords of refrigerators storing temperature-sensitive COVID-19 vaccines were pulled from their sockets. This resulted in the destruction of over 2,000 doses. In eight municipalities, medical administrators have found refrigerators unplugged, even in cases where they were fortified with tape to prevent accidental removal. Some were detached or relocated with no evidence of forced entry. In the majority of cases, the first worker to visit the site in the morning discovered the cooling units had been disconnected, suggesting that they were unplugged at night after the facility was closed, during a time when it is unlikely for someone to stumble over them.

The Daily Beast independently examined nine reported incidents of refrigerators for vaccines being “unplugged” in Osaka, Hyogo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Shimane, and Saitama. All the cases occurred in May and June with a total of 1,932 doses discarded and 119 compromised shots being administered due to temperatures outside the acceptable range.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/who-the-h ... e-olympics
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:06 am
Who the Hell Keeps Unplugging the Vaccine Fridges Right Before the Olympics?

Spoiler:

As Japan plunges towards the Olympics, the baffling mystery of who is responsible for thousands of ruined vaccine doses is gripping the country.

TOKYO—All across Japan, it seems that some people may be pulling the plugs on refrigerators holding anti-COVID vaccines.

While some of the incidents may be accidents, it appears that many of these reported cases were deliberate. And with thousands of doses already lost and the apparent sabotage showing no signs of slowing down, Japanese police are beginning to investigate why this is happening.

Some are pointing fingers at anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists. In June, people began rallying around an abominable hashtag that translates to “pull the plug.” With COVID numbers rising rapidly in Tokyo before the Olympics—closing in on a thousand a day—and vaccine supplies running out, this interference may make the already troubled “pandemic games” an even bigger disaster.

Since May of this year, six Japanese prefectures have reported that the cords of refrigerators storing temperature-sensitive COVID-19 vaccines were pulled from their sockets. This resulted in the destruction of over 2,000 doses. In eight municipalities, medical administrators have found refrigerators unplugged, even in cases where they were fortified with tape to prevent accidental removal. Some were detached or relocated with no evidence of forced entry. In the majority of cases, the first worker to visit the site in the morning discovered the cooling units had been disconnected, suggesting that they were unplugged at night after the facility was closed, during a time when it is unlikely for someone to stumble over them.

The Daily Beast independently examined nine reported incidents of refrigerators for vaccines being “unplugged” in Osaka, Hyogo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Shimane, and Saitama. All the cases occurred in May and June with a total of 1,932 doses discarded and 119 compromised shots being administered due to temperatures outside the acceptable range.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/who-the-h ... e-olympics

There are a lot of sulky, passive aggressive people in Japan.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ The dire consequences of marriage? :P

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan declares state of emergency, Olympics still on but without fans in Tokyo

The Tokyo Olympics will happen amid a state of emergency, and without fans at events in the host city.

The Japanese government on Thursday announced that it would re-institute strict measures to counter COVID-19 surges in the capital. The measures will take effect next week, and last the duration of the Games, which officially begin July 23 and end Aug. 8.

Hours after the announcement, Olympic organizers walked back a previous decision to allow local spectators to attend events. Following an urgent late-night meeting, they announced that there will be no fans at competitions held in Tokyo and other areas affected by the state of emergency.
https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-state ... 35085.html

What's the opinion in Japan on what looks very much like improvisation?
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 am
Japan declares state of emergency, Olympics still on but without fans in Tokyo

The Tokyo Olympics will happen amid a state of emergency, and without fans at events in the host city.

The Japanese government on Thursday announced that it would re-institute strict measures to counter COVID-19 surges in the capital. The measures will take effect next week, and last the duration of the Games, which officially begin July 23 and end Aug. 8.

Hours after the announcement, Olympic organizers walked back a previous decision to allow local spectators to attend events. Following an urgent late-night meeting, they announced that there will be no fans at competitions held in Tokyo and other areas affected by the state of emergency.
https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-state ... 35085.html

What's the opinion in Japan on what looks very much like improvisation?

I don't really have my finger on the pulse of Japanese politics but, anecdotally, people I've talked to don't seem very excited about the Olympics.

I'm also not in Tokyo, but when they say "strict measures to counter COVID-19," it seems like they really just mean fucking bar and restaurant owners. Everything else looks a whole lot like business as usual.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Haven't the owners paid the baksheesh? :BigGrin3:
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/lZngezA.jpg
Haruo Nakajima (in costume as Godzilla) and Momoko Kōchi on the set of Godzilla, 1954