Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:33 am
Doctor X wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:28 am
Spoiler:

Very interesting.

– J. "I'm Not Racist . . . But" D.

I've a white guy and I cannot remember ever being stopped on the street by police and I've walked by police officers countless times. I've been living here for over 20 years now.

I'm a white guy.

I've been stopped by Japanese cops maybe a dozen times in a similar period.

Most of those were when I was on a bike.*

Although the last two -- several years ago now -- were when I was walking.

To be fair, the second to last time wasn't really a "stop."

A cop came out of his police box next to the train station just as I started down the entrance stairs.

He called after me (in Japanese), "Hey! Did you just come in from the airport?" **

I thought to myself, "His tone sounds like he wants me to stop, but he hasn't actually told me to stop."

So I answered with an exasperated "No!" 「違うよ!」over my shoulder and kept walking. (Ha! Ha!)

* Bikes and umbrellas are probably the most frequently stolen items in Japan.

** We were nowhere near the airport and how he thought I would be able to understand his question in Japanese if I'd just arrived in the country is not exactly clear. But that's Osaka for you.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

"I will not approve Kyoto as a target General Groves! And in this I am the final authority."

--Stimson
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Very well done scene in the docudrama Hiroshima with That Evil Anesthesiologist from Verdict as Stimson and That Guy from Princeton That Tom Cruise Pays Off with Sex from Risky Business as Groves.

– J. "If They Trust the Russians, Jesus Christ on a Cross, Uncle Joe Won't Leave 'em a Pot to Piss In!" D.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Indeed. Just watched it again a few nights ago.

Unrelated note: When Anami commits suicide, he wraps paper around the blade. Why?
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

So as to not cut his hand.

It is very good other than perpetuating the white wash of Hirohito – he kept hoping for Ketsu Go, the plan that a victory would be so costly the Americans would come to terms, up to the end – and Anami did not die alone.

And the crew member played by That Blind Shooter from Unforgiven was a Brooklyn fan, not a Boston fan.

They were Canadians so we have to cut them some slack.

– J.D.

[Edited for why he should not post on an iPod. – Ed.]
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »