Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Kept seeing these Youtube ads come up for 「煙のない社会」 (a smoke-free society).

I thought maybe it was being sponsored by an anti-smoking group. Turns out when I Googled it to see who is behind these ads, it's Phillip Morris. WTF?

They want to ban the old fashioned cigarettes and only allow e-cigarettes. Which, of course, they make.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 am Kept seeing these Youtube ads come up for 「煙のない社会」 (a smoke-free society).

I thought maybe it was being sponsored by an anti-smoking group. Turns out when I Googled it to see who is behind these ads, it's Phillip Morris. WTF?

They want to ban the old fashioned cigarettes and only allow e-cigarettes. Which, of course, they make.

They're apparently not the only ones.

Altria teams up with Japan Tobacco* to sell smoke-free products

Altria,** the cigarette maker behind the Marlboro brand in the US, has launched a joint venture with Japan Tobacco in its latest push into the burgeoning market for smoke-free alternatives.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/13c5bd72-28 ... japan.html

* As a side note, I checked Japan Tobacco's dividend history. I'm having a hard time pinning down the numbers (it varies from site to site), but they seem to be paying a dividend somewhere north of 6% -- amazingly high for a Japanese company.

** Altria is currently paying around 8%.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Century-old producer of Sakuma candies to close down
The Japanese maker of the vibrant, fruit-flavored hard candies famously depicted in the celebrated anti-war anime “Grave of the Fireflies” is putting an end to its 114 years of history.

Sakumaseika Co., a confectioner based in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward, said Nov. 9 it will close its doors on Jan. 20 after it makes its last shipment of hard candies, called Sakuma-style Drops, in December.

The company said sales of the product have been pushed further down by the novel coronavirus pandemic. It was already struggling to survive and woo customers amid intensifying competition with rivals offering cheaper products.

A steep rise in material and energy prices, as well as the difficulty of securing labor to produce the candies, has weighed down its operations, leading to the decision to discontinue its business, according to the company.

Sakuma candies date back to 1908, when Sojiro Sakuma, a native of Chiba Prefecture, succeeded in producing a domestic version of hard candies based on those imported from Britain.
Sad. I will get some for the nostalgia before they close down. If you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you should. These candies were featured in the movie.

Recently I came across a video on YouTube called "The Other Grave of the Fireflies" about a real story that happened in Okinawa.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:43 am Century-old producer of Sakuma candies to close down
The Japanese maker of the vibrant, fruit-flavored hard candies famously depicted in the celebrated anti-war anime “Grave of the Fireflies” is putting an end to its 114 years of history.

Sakumaseika Co., a confectioner based in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward, said Nov. 9 it will close its doors on Jan. 20 after it makes its last shipment of hard candies, called Sakuma-style Drops, in December.

The company said sales of the product have been pushed further down by the novel coronavirus pandemic. It was already struggling to survive and woo customers amid intensifying competition with rivals offering cheaper products.

A steep rise in material and energy prices, as well as the difficulty of securing labor to produce the candies, has weighed down its operations, leading to the decision to discontinue its business, according to the company.

Sakuma candies date back to 1908, when Sojiro Sakuma, a native of Chiba Prefecture, succeeded in producing a domestic version of hard candies based on those imported from Britain.
Sad. I will get some for the nostalgia before they close down. If you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you should. These candies were featured in the movie.

Recently I came across a video on YouTube called "The Other Grave of the Fireflies" about a real story that happened in Okinawa.

Thanks. Just bought Tomiko's book.
shuize

Post by shuize »

In today's "You don't fucking say" news:

97歳運転の車に女性はねられ死亡 数十メートル歩道走行か 福島
Loose translation: "97-year-old driver strikes and kills woman in crosswalk."

I'm sure stubborn old drivers who should have given up their keys long ago are a problem all over the world. But it feels like an even bigger problem here in Japan. The defense will likely be "the car malfunctioned."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202211 ... 31000.html
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.