The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge X

Never agree to 3 points above the vig.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge X

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Well, from the coverage so far this morning from various sources, it sounds like people are pulling out torches and pitchforks to make a go at Belichick.

Rich Eisen just mentioned on his show that the balls were apparently re-inspected during halftime of the game and it was decided to re-inflate the balls (didn't catch where he got this). The whole "switching the ball out" apparently was a situation where they sent a kicking ball out there to spot the yardage to give the ball attendant some time to properly inflate one of the balls, but they were ready to run a play with the kicking ball if they had to. He went on to mention that (assuming the above is true) even if under inflated balls were an issue in the first half, it didn't have any effect whatsoever on the utter beat down the Patriots put on the Colts in the second half with the now properly inflated balls.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Well, of course the ref is going to claim he inspected the balls.

The problem with all of this is when could a ball be altered. This would have to happen during the game outside under tons of video cameras--and, yes, people are looking at video trying to find out if the high school junior from Fishwick High is wandering about poking balls.

My suspicious is Tom Brady--like other QBs coming out of the woodwork--like softer balls--giggle snort--and the refs simply did not care. Indy complained for the same reason a manager complains about the other team scuffing a ball.

This may be the greatest thing to happen to His Billness--a distraction that angers the team. One of the "problems" with the AFC is, as an Indy dude confesses, Brady would have destroyed them with a bar of soap. Further, after the balls were replaced, Brady hung like 27 unanswered points on them. Too easy of a win. Too expected. Too easy to be complacent facing a team which basically had the worse 50 minutes in post-season history. Do not expect them to play that badly again. If they do, great!

Meanwhile, no one is talking about why Goddel did not see the video. . . .

--J.D.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Is it too late for a false flag conspiracy?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Until I see more information is revealed this looks like a grand non-issue to me.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Eli Manning’s Footballs Are Months in Making

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sport ... aking.html
There are no new balls thrown around in an N.F.L. game. A new ball, despised for its sheen and waxy gloss, is as popular as a late hit.

For every N.F.L. game, each team has 12 to 20 balls that it has meticulously groomed and prepared according to the needs of its starting quarterback. The balls, brushed and primed using various obvious and semisecret techniques, bear the team logo and are switched out from sideline to sideline depending on which team is on offense.

That means that from series to series, the ball in play can feel wholly different, but each team’s quarterback always has a ball prepped by his equipment staff the way he likes it.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

If you inflate it with hot air then take it outside in the winter, will the pressure change significantly? After it cools down, that is.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dm7E ... late_2.gif
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:If you inflate it with hot air then take it outside in the winter, will the pressure change significantly? After it cools down, that is.
According to a physics teacher who called in, he experimented with his class in the same conditions--measured at 70 degrees, taken out and used at 50 degrees and the balls loss the expected pressure. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... 88b798.gif Also, because of the inclement weather--rain--that Pats had to have twice . . . the . . . balls.

The only problem with that is there are reports that the Indy balls did not change. That is utterly unconfirmed.

Then, of course, with the ref checked balls, Brady tore the place up.

But . . . it is the Pats. People hate the Pats. As above, people are coming to hate Seattle since it is the most corrupt team--most suspensions for PEDs and the like.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

OK, so I think we have a perfectly valid scientific explanation then, which doesn't involve cheating.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

This is all speculation since there is nothing official which allows Talking Heads to suspect this is tantamount to the Holocaust or the NFL royally fucked up. Since current and past QBs are saying, on the record, they all do these sorts of things it is a non-issue, but because Belichick is a "meanie" the press is feeding. Mike Tomlin trips an opposing player and . . . who cares? He is affable and, well, sucks. Cleveland will cellphones . . . but . . . you know . . . Cleveland.

Though there is hypocrisy. One guy says Bountygate is "worse" than anything--"Spygate/Deflategate/Tripgate/YouNameitGate"--that has ever happened but . . . the NFL should not have suspended Payton. Said hypocrite fails to mention that Payton repeatedly lied about it.

A whole lot of "feh" and the NFL is investigating harder than they did with Peterson or Rice or even Lewis.

--J.D.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

On an tangentially related topic, not sure if everyone here is a fan of the Marvel films, but there was a pretty funny exchange on Twitter between Chris Evans and Chris Pratt regarding the SB.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

Doctor X wrote: The only problem with that is there are reports that the Indy balls did not change. That is utterly unconfirmed.
Recently, Bill Belichick has been compared to Red Auerbach. Therefore, it is not unlikely that BB has the heat turned off (or even the AC turn way up as well) in the Colts' area of the stadium.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He also directs the Sun.

He has that power.

--J.D.
jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks »

Hall of Fame coach John Madden has a theory about who's to blame if the New England Patriots deflated footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday:

Why, quarterback Tom Brady, of course.

After all, what ballboy (or other Patriots underling) would take it upon himself to mess with Brady's passing game — especially with a Super Bowl appearance at stake?

If the balls are soft, Madden said, it's because Brady wanted them that way.
http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/ ... brady.html
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

jacks wrote:
Hall of Fame coach John Madden has a theory about who's to blame if the New England Patriots deflated footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday:

Why, quarterback Tom Brady, of course.

After all, what ballboy (or other Patriots underling) would take it upon himself to mess with Brady's passing game — especially with a Super Bowl appearance at stake?

If the balls are soft, Madden said, it's because Brady wanted them that way.
http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/ ... brady.html
It's no secret Brady prefers them under inflated. He even commented on that many times, one being that he likes it when Gronk slams them after touchdowns because it causes them to deflate slightly. But all of that is a huge leap to cheating.
jacks

Post by jacks »

Don't get me wrong Grammy I have no dog in this fight just enjoying the media frenzy.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

jacks wrote:Don't get me wrong Grammy I have no dog in this fight just enjoying the media frenzy.
Word.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Looking at a football I have in my lap, I could easily deflate it slightly with a paper clip.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

A Talking Head with "inside information" regarding the League offices who have been silent about this--for example: there were 24 balls, not 12 ball, Chris "I Do Not Understand the Rules" Mortensonszenfuck--because "they are having a problem finding any actual evidence of wrong-doing."

Given the level of evidence, this is unimpeachable.

Unlike Obama.

Whom I blame.

In the rain.

--J.D.

P.S. Nice to notice how great the outrage from the Professionally In Need to Sniff Jokes have over this but not Suggs pouring bleach on his wife and one year-old, Ray Lewis, Peterson: you know, minor stuff like domestic abuse, child abuse, murder, rape. . . .

P.P.S. The Pats Dudes think the "Deflators versus Steroiders" poster posted above is the most hilarious.

P.P.P.S. The reporter is Adam Schefter. Apparently, according to a source:
Per Schefter, the league might be able to release their findings at some point today. He also says that the NFL is struggling to collect any evidence that the Patriots knowingly affected the football, and that the burden of proof lies with the league to determine guilt. If the league cannot find evidence that the Patriots tampered with the football, then there's nothing that should happen to New England.

It's likely that any league information will wait until after Tom Brady's 4 PM press conference, but early leaks are entirely possible.

PatsPulpit
with a Linkypoo to his ESPN report. Add in the revelation that the NFL had not interviewed/questioned/contacted Tom Brady and a cluster fuck from the League that thinks two games is just squiffy for punching the lights out of a woman is "just fine" but, you know, soft balls = SUSPENSION! and letting the Cleveland Indians face the Seattle Steroids in the Super Bowl. . . .

The Current Conspiracy is that the referees never properly checked the balls as they should prior to the game and they are the source of the fuck up and the NFL is trying to find a way out of it.

--J.D.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

Now D'Qwell Jackson is denying the reports that he noticed the ball was deflated when he intercepted it. Link
In the beginning stages of the Patriots' deflated footballs story, it was reported that Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson noticed something was wrong with the ball when he intercepted Tom Brady in the second quarter.

Jackson disputed that notion Thursday, telling The Indianapolis Star, "I made a great play on a great player, so I handed (the ball) off and next thing I know, I'm in the middle of DeflateGate. I don't know how that happened."

A Pro Bowl linebacker, Jackson said he usually gives the ball to the equipment staff after an interception.

"What usually happens in that scenario – like when I scored against the Washington Redskins – I came off the field and hand it to the equipment staff and you'll have it in your locker Monday morning," Jackson said, via The Indy Star. "That's the normal procedure for me. I don't know how it got to this point."
jacks

Post by jacks »

I think the best was yesterday after Belichick's presser fox cable suggested he threw Brady under the bus, all he said was I don't know ask Brady what
he may know. I saw no throw or bus.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

http://i.imgur.com/dlqOfHP.jpg
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Given everything above I think this was a bit of "Silly Buggers" on the part of Tiffany Harblaurgh ala the "Pine Tar Incident." It has been claimed that the Ravens gave the Colts the "idea" of checking balls. Tiffany got nationally embarrassed when he admitted, without realizing it initially, that Belichick out-coached him to the point of knowing rules he did not know.

Given what most QBs have said, no one pays attention to the actual pressure in balls--like no one really pays attention to the amount of pine tar on a bat. I think, therefore, the suggestion was simply to catch the Pats breaking a rule--a minor infraction--sort of a "ha! ha!" response to Brady's suggestion the Ravens read the rule book. I do not think Tiffany expected this level of blow-up. Belichick actually helped Tiffany get his current job, apparently. So I think this was a "tweak" that blew up.

Others have shown how impossible it is to "deflate" the balls on the sideline in time and, critically, without anyone seeing it.

Godel needs to resign.

Jerome Betis gets an "*"

--J.D.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote: Others have shown how impossible it is to "deflate" the balls on the sideline in time and, critically, without anyone seeing it.

--J.D.
And on top of that to do it to an exact amount Brady would prefer AND still be playable and non obvious.

AND on top of all of that, it's not like this is the first time Patriots played those teams. I doubt near-infinitely much Belichick decided last week to roll out a cheat during the second most important game of the year against the fucking Colts, of all the teams.

To me, more than anything, it makes certain sports pundits finally display how fucking stupid and clueless they are about sports they cover. Some of the shit I've read was near UFO-level conspiracy in its absurdity. Except it wasn't some guy on his blog in a basement, but a (allegedly) legitimate journalists working for (allegedly) legitimate publications. Pretty sad really.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

[video][/video]
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I don't think there is a damn thing to this inflation issue. At least not something that can be proved. It is a commissioner issue if anything. If they want better control of the balls they should dictate that in writing and practice. Currently, according to the rules, the refs have control.<--that's a period. Blame them.

Or blame the ball boy if you need a fall guy.

my god I can't believe that is an actual occupation.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Gram: Totally agree.

The conspiracies are pathetic and born by hate--much like Bush hate leads to Tw00fers and Obama hate leads to "Not American but . . . MUSLIM!!!1!" I will state two things:

1. Most QBs--even those who do not believe Brady--think Belichick had absolutely no knowledge of this.
2. Indy players are basically stating this is nothing and if they are mad about anything it is playing so badly. One of them interviewed--Matt Hasselback, back-up QB--stated they worked so hard after being destroyed the previous year, then this year at home, to try to beat the Patriots only to have the Patriots do exactly the same damn thing to them . . . and they do the same thing. Kudos on that. None of them--according to him--thinks this is a big deal.

Listy: I would agree. The only thing that "saves" the NFL is if the refs actually did their job and documented the pressure prior to the game . . . rather than just did what often happens which is just squeeze the balls. That would imply that "something" happened. Now how that could happen in a situation where so many important people were there and everything is taped without it being seen?

Tio: Ah yes! That is Jerry Thorton who is now a "Talking Head" for WEEI. That video got like 160,000 hits in the first hour. He is a self-confessed "homer" and "jock sniffer." He has stated he wants to have Brady's children. It is his joke which is why him "huffing" the balls is . . . well . . . you get the reference!

I lost it when he stated he could smell a Gronk on a ball and "smells like female reporter!" Prior to all of this people have been talking about a woman reporter who basically hit on Gronk during the entire interview.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

http://www.craiglotter.co.za/wp-content ... riddle.jpg

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

http://www.nerdlocker.com/wp-content/up ... 32xbb0.jpg

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5495/9704 ... 63b3_z.jpg

"RICHARD!"

--J. "A River to My People!" D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacks

Post by jacks »

hiccups Doc?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

It's ok, he's got plenty of NBLs to use as placeholders.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Whaaaaa . . . bad connection :oops:

--J.D.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Doctor X wrote:Whaaaaa . . . bad connection trip :oops:

--J.D.