Post by Doctor X »

They like holding Brady's soft balls.

Do you imply that there is "something wrong with that?"

--J.D.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge X

Post by Doctor X »

I'm not a scientist. I'm not an expert in footballs. I'm not an expert in football measurements. I'm just telling you what I know. I would not say I'm Mona Lisa Vito of the football world, as she was in the car-expertise area.

--His Billness, Your God

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8436178688/h093F0918/

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Tiosylanyl wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:
gnome wrote:A bit late to the discussion--I understand the need for a required standard, but if everyone is playing with the same ball, how is a "deflated" ball advantageous to one team over the other?
They don't. Each team has their own balls if I understand correctly. The exception is for kicking plays where they use a neutral ball provided by the NFL. I didn't know any of this before this story came up.
That may be how it operates in practice, but the rules aren't clear. Like I mentioned earlier, it reads (to me at least) like both teams are required to provide balls for inspection, but the default is to use the home team's balls during actual game play.
As a follow-up to the article I posted above about how good the Pats have been at not fumbling, the following article explains that there was a rule change in 2006 or thereabouts, and the rule change was championed by none other than Tom Brady (and Peyton Manning too, among others). I'll just quote the relevant bit:
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... _2006.html
In 2006, Tom Brady (and Peyton Manning) lobbied in favor of changing an NFL rule that mandated home teams provided game balls for both teams. Brady wanted the NFL to let every team provide its own footballs to use on offense, even when that team was playing on the road. After Brady and Manning’s efforts, the NFL agreed to change the rule. Prior to that change, there would be relatively little advantage to playing with deflated footballs because both teams would be using the same balls.
And it was after that rule change that the Pats suddenly got so much better than the rest of the league at not fumbling.

This still doesn't necessarily mean outright cheating. Maybe whatever they did to their balls was effective, but still within the letter of the law. I don't know. If they were actually deflating them, that would be one thing, but what if they were simply using the physical laws of nature to their advantage? We already went over how hot air expands and cold air contracts, and there may be nothing in the rule book saying what temperature the air should be which you use to inflate your balls. Does that count as cheating or just clever gamesmanship? Maybe they did something to the surface of the balls to make them easier to grip too. Is that within the rules? Apparently no team likes a brand-new ball. They want it to be broken in.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote: And it was after that rule change that the Pats suddenly got so much better than the rest of the league at not fumbling.

This still doesn't necessarily mean outright cheating. Maybe whatever they did to their balls was effective, but still within the letter of the law. I don't know. If they were actually deflating them, that would be one thing, but what if they were simply using the physical laws of nature to their advantage? We already went over how hot air expands and cold air contracts, and there may be nothing in the rule book saying what temperature the air should be which you use to inflate your balls. Does that count as cheating or just clever gamesmanship? Maybe they did something to the surface of the balls to make them easier to grip too. Is that within the rules? Apparently no team likes a brand-new ball. They want it to be broken in.
The thing is, all the QBs (well, all that can play) in the league say they love the new ball rule. And if deflating balls gave such a distinct advantage then all of the teams would be doing it.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

They have gotten better since Ridley got injured.

The top teams do have the lowest rates of fumbling; however, the statistics are inaccurate in that it only counts fumbles lost. The Pats fumbled three times against Indy in the AFC Championship. They recovered all three which is why they had, officially, no fumbles.

--J.D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Sea Chickens to get canned.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Not that it matters, but I'm picking the seagulls too.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Doctor X wrote:They have gotten better since Ridley got injured.

The top teams do have the lowest rates of fumbling; however, the statistics are inaccurate in that it only counts fumbles lost. The Pats fumbled three times against Indy in the AFC Championship. They recovered all three which is why they had, officially, no fumbles.

--J.D.
There is also the tendency of Belichick to drastically cut playing time of players after they fumble, at least over the past few years. The Patriots have been using a Running-Back-by-committee approach, rather than a featured Back, the last few years. This gives him options to plug in when he wants to send a message to a player with fumbling issues.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That be true. He--Belichick--received a lot of criticism for benching Ridley so frequently when he would fumble. While it is never a "good time" to fumble, Ridley would pick the worst times to fumble.

Meanwhile, A BALL BOY WENT INTO THE BATHROOM WITH HIS BALLS!!!11111

FOR 17 DAYS!! 90 SECONDS!!!! NO ONE CAN SHIT THAT FAST! WHAT WAS HE DOING?!!!

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Heard this semi-live--listening to Talking Heads who announced, "oh, hey, the Refs are meeting," followed by "What the . . ."

Enjoy the FAIL:
Bill Vinovich, Dean Blandino not on same page with ineligible receiver policy

PHOENIX - There was an extremely awkward moment today during an NFL operations news conference in anticipation of Super Bowl XLIX in Phoenix.

Vice president of officiating Dean Blandino and Super Bowl XLIX referee Bill Vinovich were clearly not on the same page in regard to the announcement of an ineligible receiver. Remember, Vinovich reffed the Patriots-Ravens playoff game when the Patriots ran three plays with an ineligible receiver, and Vinovich announced that Shane Vereen declared himself as ineligible before saying, "Do not cover No. 34."

The NFL now has a more defined signal in place to declare an inelgible receiver, and it was utilized during the conference championship weekend. (Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said today there would be a new signal in place Sunday for the Super Bowl, but Blandino said afterward Carroll misunderstood that.) If, for instance, Vereen declares himself ineligible again, Vinovich will make the appropriate announcement while pointing at Vereen, gesturing his arms in the motion of an incomplete pass and then point at Vereen one more time. At no point will Vinovich announce again, "Do not cover No. 34."
which is how I understood it a few pages back. But the rule is . . . vague.
Blandino rolled through the mechanics of the situation today before Vinovich created the uncomfortable exchange:

Vinovich: “I made the announcement, ‘Do not cover No. 34.’
Blandino (turning left toward Vinovich): “Which we won’t do.”
Vinovich (turning right toward Blandino): “We won’t?”
Blandino: “No.”

Boston Daily Mail
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... 87a35d.gif

Oh and Blandino admits no one documented any of the pressures in any of the balls at any time. No log. Nothing.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... 498ee9.gif

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Oh and Blandino admits no one documented any of the pressures in any of the balls at any time. No log. Nothing.
But is that the standard practice?

If it's what they have always done, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. If they didn't do what they normally do, that would seem to be a problem.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

[video][/video]
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:If it's what they have always done, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. If they didn't do what they normally do, that would seem to be a problem.
If they try to claim a breaking of the rule, without evidence, Kraft will Al Davis them.

--J.D.
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Tough pick. Hard to repeat so I'll go with Seattle to lose.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

[youtube]feuNeJewzDo[/youtube]
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Oh yeah, and in case it wasn't obvious, by default I will be picking Seattle to lose.

Should be a good game, both teams came to play. At least I hope it's not a slaughter like last year.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I sort of imagine most will do that since the Danger of t3h MEANIE Points.

And I do not care!

This, of course, means I have to go back and look up all of the pickies. . . .

--J.D.
jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks »

seattle to lose

coin toss = heads

NE wins the toss

first to score= seattle

Team with most penalties= seattle

first team to earn a penalty = seattle
Last edited by jacks on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

:Waaaah: Super Bowl Pickies:
NFL Schedule

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacks

Post by jacks »

so coin toss = tails
seattle won the toss
seattle earned first penalty
NE scored first

glad I have no money on my predictions
Last edited by jacks on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Late to this, but yeah, I want the Seahawks grounded.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

That was ballsy.
jacks

Post by jacks »

yes and the game seems to be moving fast
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Change your shorts Doc.
jacks

Post by jacks »

wtf
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I was not worried.

Now . . . excuse me while I change my pants. . . .

--J.D.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

They give the ball to Lynch it's over. Don't understand the call to throw it there after the insane catch and Lynch running for five yrads right after.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I think it was an awesome call myself.

--J.D.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Wow.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Doctor X wrote:I think it was an awesome call myself.

--J.D.
I realize you do, but I didn't have a dog in the fight so I can look at this objectively. :P
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah. I mean . . . really.

I almost posted--oh it is not the FAIL Comish giving the trophy--posted "I've seen how this ends before" when Seattle got the ball with two minutes to go.

And it played out like that. "Maybe Brady can get into field goal range with 20 seconds . . . fuck you all ALL OF YOU FUCK THIS GAME FUCK KATY PERRY--okay, sure--I BLAME YOU OBAMA AND sparks FOR WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!"

Then.

Wow.

Sad thing it there were some fucking awesome plays--a Gronk catch--THAT catch for Seattle which Some Former Giants receiver is thinking "Damn!"

They will be forgotten.

Oh--Comish is giving it.

--J.D.
Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Yeah, I loved the shot of Brady right after that catch, like "Fuck, here we go again."

Funny that you mentioned almost posting something about that. I've got a buddy that posted on FB midway through the third about how the touchdown by Seattle was the beginning of the blowout. Mysteriously that post disappeared some time later.........

Wish I had taken a screenshot of that.
Last edited by Tiosylanyl on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

An exciting Super Bowl finally, and I missed it this year. :(

So when is the last time the outcome of a Super Bowl was still in doubt with less than a minute to play?

Anyway, look at the prices people paid for tickets this year:

espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12263047/super-bowl-xlix-tickets-most-expensive-game-history
The two biggest ticket resale sites, StubHub and NFL Ticket Exchange, said the average price of a sold ticket for this year's game was $4,600 and $4,131, respectively.

If those numbers even seem low, it's because most of the tickets sold before Wednesday when the price skyrocketed. By Thursday, it was nearly impossible to find a ticket for under $4,500. Come Saturday, scoring a ticket for less than $7,000 would be a feat.

Prices rose so quickly because brokers sold Super Bowl tickets, as they have in recent years, without having them in hand. In past years, they would rely on the price dropping as it got closer to the game in order to make their margin on the sale. Except this year that didn't happen. So by Thursday, ticket resellers had a choice of either buying a ticket at a loss and giving it to their customer or offering a refund and admit that they never had the tickets.

StubHub spent an undisclosed amount of money to make sure that every customer that bought tickets on the site got into the game, offering a payment plan to the seller to be able to pay them back over time for backing out. Every fan who bought tickets on NFL Ticket Exchange also had a ticket to the game.

Others weren't as lucky. Those who bought tickets through Vivid Seats were given a 200 percent refund per ticket which, for most, wasn't enough to be able to buy a ticket into the stadium because prices never dropped.

Other sites, which offered refunds and an additional percentage on top of it, were making fans who took the deals sign agreements that they would waive the right to sue in the future.

For its part, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league didn't do anything different than what it had done in the past as far as distribution goes.

The league office retains 25.2 percent of the tickets, each participating team gets 17.5 percent, the host Cardinals get 5 percent and the remaining 29 NFL teams get 1.2 percent each.

The face value of the tickets this year ranged from $800 to $1,900.
So these ticket exchanges that resell tickets for more than the face value, that's legal, but a guy trying scalp tickets in the parking lot outside the stadium isn't?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

--J.D.
Best play call I have ever seen.

Used to live in Seattle years ago, for a couple years, for the wife's job. I hated their fans so much. This disdain only grew after their basketball team left Seattle and came to OKC. They are still butthurt over that to this day. Those people need a vat of Preparation H to deal with their sore, chaffed asses.

The look on Russell Wilson's face was pure beauty. I laughed and laughed and laughed. That probably makes me a bad person.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tiosylanyl wrote:
I realize you do, but I didn't have a dog in the fight so I can look at this objectively. :P
Yeah, seriously. This reminded me of the story about the Buffalo Bills I blathered about above, where the only way the Pats win is if Buffalo does ALL of a series of unfathomably stupid moves. Which they did.

Seattle JUST had the most magnificent pass catch in Super Bowl history. A play that would haunt Pats fans forever. "The defense gave it up . . . AGAIN!" "NOES!! Brady threw two devastating picks!" "NO! Grady Little should have pulled Pedro!" "AAHHHH!"

You then run to the one inch line. The Pats had stopped Lynch a few times . . . but not for less than one yard!

Perhaps he will fumble?

Has he ever fumbled?

From the angle it looked almost like the Seattle guy caught it. But then he his jumping around. WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BALL. Because, otherwise, it is just an incomplete and Seattle would not be so stupid to throw again!

Then I see WHAT'S HIS NAME on the ground with the ball.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... fc871a.gif
Spoiler:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... xfyjnu.gif

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... atflag.gif
--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ronin wrote:Used to live in Seattle years ago, for a couple years, for the wife's job. I hated their fans so much. This disdain only grew after their basketball team left Seattle and came to OKC. They are still butthurt over that to this day. Those people need a vat of Preparation H to deal with their sore, chaffed asses.
Same here--I actually went to a Seattle Pats game--long story with someone who was a season ticket-holder who gave me two free tickets.

Miserable fucking fans. Not like Mariner fans. These guys were angry shits. So as you say:
The look on Russell Wilson's face was pure beauty. I laughed and laughed and laughed. That probably makes me a bad person.
No, we are winners! http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... atflag.gif

--J.D.

P.S. The Asswipe who got ejected is already bitching about the call. BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I don't think Doctor X will ever watch a game with his pants on ever again. The cleaning bill must be oppressive at this point.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smile ... rassed.gif

Hey, it was 4 points. That is, like, a blow-out for Patriots Super Bowl wins.

--J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Super Bowl Standings:

246.5 Tiosylanyl GB (22), Atl (6), Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), NYG (6), SF (8), SD (9), Mia (8), Det (13), NE (46), Cin (12.5), Ind (25), ItR (12), Cin (10.5), Dal (13), Sea (14)

242.5 Evolver GB (22), Car (15.5), Az (13), SF (8), SD (9), Den (16), Ind (25), Det (13), MP (1), KC (9), Phil (12.5), Mia (8), NE (46), ItR (7), Cin (10.5), Dal (13), Sea (14)
241 Anaxagoras Ind (25), Atl (6), Oak (3), Phil (12.5), ItR (20), Az (13), NYJ (4), SD (9), Den (16), MP (2), Det (13), Mia (8), NE (46), Buf (9), Cin (12.5), Dal (13), ItR (2), GB (13), Sea (14)

219.5 jonJ703 Ind (25), Atl (6), Den (16), Chi (5), Az (13), SF (8), Dal (20), Bal (16), NE (46), SD (9), Cin (12.5), ItR (17), MP (1), Det (11), Sea (14)
214.5 Doctor X GB (22), NYJ (4), Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), SF (8), SD (9), MP (10), Dal (20) , Mia (8), Ind (25), Det (13), Cle (7), ItR (12), Cin (10.5), Car 8.5, Sea (14)
211 Grammatron GB (22), NYJ (4), Den (16), Chi (5), Bal (16), SF (8), MP (3), Mia (8), Phil (12.5), Az (13), NE (46), Cle (7), ItR (17), Det (11), Car 8.5, Sea (14)
210.5 izittrue Ind (25), Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), Cin (12.5), GB (22), Dal (20), NYG (6), Det (13), Mia (8), Cle (7), MP (2), Buf (9), Hou (11.5), STL (6), Bal (11), ItR (2), Sea (14)

199 shemp GB (22), Den (16), Car (15.5), Hou (11.5), NYJ (4), Cin (12.5), SD (9), Dal (20), MP (2), Mia (8), Phil (12.5), Det (13), NE (46), ItR (7)
192.5 Enchantress GB (22), Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), Car (15.5), Bal (16), Det (13), Mia (8), NE (46), MP (2), Cin (12.5), ItR (2), Sea (14)

180 RadRick Ind (25), Phil (12.5), Az (13), SF (8), GB (22), Den (16), Mia (8), Det (13), Dal (20), MP (1), SD (9), Hou (11.5), ItR (7), Sea (14)

175.5 jacks NYG (6), NYJ (4), Phil (12.5), Az (13), SF (8), Dal (20), MP (1), Mia (8), SD (9), Ind (25), Det (13), ItR (10), Cin (10.5), Car 8.5, GB (13), Sea (14)

168 WildCat GB (22), Min (7), Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), SF (8), Dal (20), Mia (8), Det (13), KC (9), MP (2), Buf (9), SD (9), Cin (12.5), ItR (7)

130.5 Pyrrho GB (22), Min (7), Bal (16), NYJ (4), MP (3), Ind (25), Mia (8), Cle (7), ItR (5), Az (11), Car 8.5, Sea (14)

117.5 grayman Min (7), NYJ (4), KC (9), Chi (5), Den (16), Cin (12.5), MP (1), Mia (8), SD (9), Cle (7), ItR (12), Az (11), Sea (14)
114.5 gnome Ind (25), KC (9), MP (2), Chi (5), Bal (16), Dal (20), Det (13), SD (9), ItR (5), Cin (10.5)

73.5 Swellman Den (16), Phil (12.5), Az (13), SF (8), SD (9), Mia (8), ItR (7)

61.5 bcurnutte GB (22), TB (2), Phil (12.5), SF (8), SD (9), MP (1), ItR (7)

As always, check my math . . . yes, you may use your fingers. . . .

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is20/killbill2ka ... a3.755.jpg

Tio Drives Off into the Sunset!

He should . . . like . . . pick a film for next year when the PATRIOTS DEFEND THEIR TITLE!!!11!! [!--Ed.]

--J. "Nice Pass!" D.
jacks

Post by jacks »

Congratulations Tiosylanyl, Doc X thank you for hosting another great season it was good fun.