Free kindle ebooks

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Free kindle ebooks

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 am I am often skeptical of books about how to become a bazillionaire, especially trading stocks or crytocurrency, or whatever. If you're so good at trading (or investing), then why aren't you busy doing that instead of wasting your time on the few pennies you will make selling such books. Do you really imagine you can make more money per hour writing a book instead of doing what you claim to be an expert at? And if you can make more money writing a book than trading stocks, then of what value is your advice on stock trading?
Economy and finance experts should, logically, be all stinking rich.

I own this writer's manual:

https://i.imgur.com/0VdgM22.jpg

Bought directly from the author (but I see that it's now available through commercial circuits), at a time when its price was indexed on the price of truffles, by weight. :)

Nice paper, nice classical typography, nice binding, perfect French and an interesting read. Some points he makes about selling one's works have stuck with me:
  • apart from two or three scores of famous authors the average income of a writer is roughly that of a cleaning lady;
  • 90 % of published texts aren't novels (but technical stuff like bank reports, manuals, &c.) yet 90 % of what publishers get in their mail are novels;
  • France didn't publish more books per year in the 20th century than it did in the 19th.
On the other hand I once met a dude living in the Parc des volcans (protected, quite wild, region in central France) who told me he started his writing career by slapping together a book from other books on a subject he knew nothing about: breeding dwarf rabbits (sic). Unexpected success and he had been doing similar stuff since then. It paid the bills and he had a cozy life.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 am
xouper wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 am I am often skeptical of books about how to become a bazillionaire, especially trading stocks or crytocurrency, or whatever. If you're so good at trading (or investing), then why aren't you busy doing that instead of wasting your time on the few pennies you will make selling such books. Do you really imagine you can make more money per hour writing a book instead of doing what you claim to be an expert at? And if you can make more money writing a book than trading stocks, then of what value is your advice on stock trading?
Economy and finance experts should, logically, be all stinking rich.
To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.

I wasn't referring to all such experts. I was referring primarily to those "experts" who claim that their book will teach you how to be stinking rich. I had assumed that would have been clear from the first sentence you quoted.

It's possible there are some authors who have retired from becoming stinking rich and have taken up philanthropy in the form of writing a book on how to become stinking rich.

It's also possible that there is an author or two out there who is not stinking rich but has taught someone how to become stinking rich who then actually became stinking rich by using the author's advice. Makes me wonder if it was that easy then why didn't the author use his own advice to become stinking rich himself?

But any author who has not already become stinking rich, well that seems to argue against the credibility of their written "advice" on how to become stinking rich. That was my main point. It is at least grounds for being skeptical, as I clearly stated in the first sentence quoted above.

So thanks for offering me an opportunity to clarify my intent.

Anecdote: When I was living in Chicagoland, I personally knew someone who became stinking rich in commodities futures. It was his full time job, self-employed, in his own private office within walking distance from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. He even had his own personal jet to flit about the planet doing his research. It was not cost effective for him to take time away from that to write a book showing other people how they too can become stinking rich trading commodities futures. Also, it took a lot of hard work to do what he did on a daily basis, and there was no magic shortcut that would fit in a book. Also, he didn't want the competition.
Witness

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 am To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.
I was not rephrasing you.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:07 pm
xouper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 am To be fair, that's not an accurate translation of what I intended to say.
I was not rephrasing you.
Thanks for clearing up that ambiguity.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Another free kindle book, posted in another thread: viewtopic.php?p=1058723#p1058723
xouper

Post by xouper »

I got this one in yesterday's pile of free kindle books from amazon:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51f ... SX260_.jpg

The Science Behind Burping: A Funny Science Book For Kids About Burping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091MM7CP1/

I got book one and two of the series last month:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... S218_..jpg https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... S218_..jpg

And now I have all three in the set. :WooHoo:

I added that "author" to my watch list in case they add more books to the series.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit but it is nice when you find a good one and post it here. i give you a silver star for that. i might like a dead tree hardcover set of that book for my grandkids. is it good inside? good cover
xouper

Post by xouper »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit . . .
I think it's silly for you to belittle someone's hobby. Especially one that has an actual purpose.

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am . . . is it good inside? good cover
I haven't looked inside (yet).
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

xouper wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am
Rob Lister wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 am i think it is silly for you to archive all that shit . . .
I think it's silly for you to belittle someone's hobby.
Dude! That is all that life has left me. Don't take that too.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

That reminds me, I haven't checked my free book on kindle for this month. Generally speaking I get six options a month, one free, and usually the selections are by a panel of 6 diverse white women editors.

Naturally, all of the Authors chosen are women and generally include a selection that includes:

Jayne Little of the Airy Women: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Bronte involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness, flirts with evil man to piss the nice man off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minutes and opens a sewing shop or something and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Bitch Cop III : Return to Bitchness: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Lynda La Plante involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness sand solves a murder or something, flirts with evil cop to piss the nice cop off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minute and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Helen Of Atroycious: A pathetic attempt to re-write something by Euripedes involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness, flirts with evil man to piss the nice guy off and gets loads of blokes to fawn over her and fight or something and gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

I want a Billionaire's Cock: A pathetic attempt to re-write 50 Shades involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and flirts with evil billionaire to piss the nice billionaire off and ends up with nice guy gets married and churns out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Fucking a Werewolf. There's nothing wrong with it: A pathetic attempt to re-write 98% of all the free books on Kindle involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, , humiliates every werewolf she meets with her sassy brashness and gets loads of werewolves running about who randomly kill people and never get arrested, flirts with evil werewolf to piss the nice werewolf off but she sees the error of her ways at the last minute and gets married and churns out little dogs like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Yessir, that's my poppadom: A pathetic attempt to re-write every single immigrant's story ever written involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous (racist obviously) patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness , humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and gets a part time job in Morrisons before getting married and churning out kids like she was supposed to do in the first place.

Bonus Novel : Tarts Wars: Intergalactic Lesbo-Bitch: Part One of A pathetic attempt to re-write every single science fiction triology ever written involving magnificently beautiful and irresistible 20-something who is shackled by the male homogeneous patriarchy around her and she against all odds breaks free from the oppressive oppression of evil oppressiveness, humiliates every man she meets with her sassy brashness and kicks the shit out of everything in Universe, becomes undefeatable Pirate Queen and who the fuck writes this shit.
xouper

Post by xouper »

In yesterday's haul of free kindle books from amazon, this one caught my attention:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41v-tT6ZWwS.jpg

The Critical Thinking Effect:
Uncover The Secrets Of Thinking Critically And Telling Fact From Fiction

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093YCRFDF/

That one is still free as I write this, so get it while you can. Might be $3.99 tomorrow.

Not free anymore is the previous volume in that series, which I got free a month ago:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41QjA3H9daL.jpg

Critical Thinking In A Nutshell:
How To Become An Independent Thinker And Make Intelligent Decisions

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091P6Q7R9/

I have just now added this author to my watch list in case there any future books in this series.

Which got me wondering, do I have other books on this topic.

Turns out, I have well over a hundred free kindle books with the words "critical" and "thinking" in the title.

I don't yet have any way to easily search my collection by subject, only title or author.

So, are any of them any good? I have no idea. I assume most of them are self-published, as the above two are. At this point, I have no intention of rating them. Although, I might read some of them.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

$4 here. Pass.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

May: 9 options - I'm going to put the book title, followed by the author, then the editor that recommended it then a synopsis.

The Secrets of Us - Lucinda Berry - Megha Parekh - Evil man, woman kills evil man, heroic female attorney defends. Men Evil.Women best.

The Girls in the Attic - Marius Gabriel - Sammier HAmmer Evil Man. Female Jews in Attics. Jews nurse Nazi. He thinks jews are awesome but they die anyway. Men are evil.Women Best

Beneath Devil's Ridge - Loreth Anne White - Alison Dasho - Podcaster solves cold case murder. (Oh, Fuck off.) Men are evil.Women Best

These Tangled Vines - Julianne MacLean - Alicia Clancy - I dunno. The editors review is full of such puff i can't figure out what it's about. My dad isn't my dad or something. Men are evil.Women Best

The Darkest Flower - Kristen Wright - Liz Pearsons - Murder by wolfsbane smoothie. I'm stopping there. I don't want to live.

Like Wind Against Rock - Nancy Kim - -Danielle Marshall - divorced woman. Widowed mother. Dad had secret. Oh NOES. Men Evil. Women best.

The Checklist - Addie Woolridge - Maria Gomez. Boyfriend evil. Boss Evil. Women Best. Main character's name is Dylan Delacroix. That alone is reason enough not to read it.

Bacchanal - Veronica G Henry - Adrienne Procaccini Magic powers woman. Great Depression. Baton Rogue. Joins circus. Magicks. Awesome? No.

The Puma Years - Laura Coleman - Liza Darnton. **Warning** this book contains a kleptomaniac pig. No seriously. It does.

All of the editors are women.
8/9 books are by women.

Someone pick one for me. So I can blame them. No i'm not doing the pig.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Is the amazon kindle book search sometimes borken?

Yesterday, I did a search for keyword "habit" and got six free kindle books, all with the word "habit" in the title.

So far so good. That's how the search usually works, with an occasional anomaly or two.

then I did a search for keyword "sodium" and I got no free books with the word "sodium" in the title.

OK, no big deal there, since I already have more than 200 free kindle books with the word "sodium" in the title, most of them cookbooks.

Instead, what I got yesterday were these three free kindle books:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/516b-F1gyXL.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51yFcajKjZL.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51rIlTWSa5L.jpg

So how are any of those books in any way related to the keyword "sodium"? :dunno:

This kind of thing happens more often than one might expect.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Sodium:

Tru Blue (Sexy standalone romance) (The Whiskeys: Dark Knights at Peaceful Harbor Book 1)

Blue Midnight (Blue Mountain Series Book 1)

Ice Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge Mystery Series Book 1)

Jake Men of Clifton, Montana Book 1

The Blue Devil (The Regency Matchmaker Series Book 1)

August (Blue Belles Investigations Book 1)

The Noru: Blue Rose (The Noru Series, Book 1)

Heart of a Highlander: A Historical Scottish Romance (Castle Brides Book 4) (FOUR!!! SHE MADE IT TO FOUR!!)

Dragon Blues (Immortal Dragons Book 1)

All women authors. All unmitigated shit.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

You'll be pleased to know, I couldn't resist the "wolfsbane smoothie" option.

I''ll review when I'm done.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm All women authors. All unmitigated shit.
That would explain why they give away free promotional copies.

By the way, the second book in my list of three above, "Not Your Average Joe" that is #2 in a six book series, and it turns out, I had previously acquired the other five and was waiting for #2 to complete the set. (And to think I got it accidentally from a search for "sodium".)

So . . . :WooHoo: I now have the whole set of unmitigated shit. 8)

Perhaps for one of my future data-mining experiments, I could rank all my free books by quality of shit contents, from zero (no shit) to eleven (total unmitigated shit).

I'm guessing amazon would not be interested in an automated algorithm for ranking their books. Unless perhaps it ranked them on a scale corresponding to Jeff Bezo's political biases. :P
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm Heart of a Highlander: A Historical Scottish Romance (Castle Brides Book 4) (FOUR!!! SHE MADE IT TO FOUR!!)
I already have books #1 and #4 of that series (both free). so I just now put that author in my watch list in case I can get the other two for free in the coming months (or years).

So, hey, thanks for the heads up.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

xouper wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm Heart of a Highlander: A Historical Scottish Romance (Castle Brides Book 4) (FOUR!!! SHE MADE IT TO FOUR!!)
I already have books #1 and #4 of that series (both free). so I just now put that author in my watch list in case I can get the other two for free in the coming months (or years).

I'll swap you for a decent free cookbook.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:45 pm
xouper wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:37 pm

I'll swap you for a decent free cookbook.
I presume the relevant qualifier is "decent"?

I get free cookbooks every day. You can too. I have no idea how to rank them as decent or not.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Although I already have a plethora of free kindle versions of Homer's "Odyssey", occasionally I like to do a keyword search for "odyssey", which is how I got this two book series yesterday:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81V ... UY218_.jpg https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81S ... UY218_.jpg

Both are still free as I write this, so get them while you can.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/series/B093Q2WHM6

Nice Covers. Genre: dark comedy science fiction, according to the author.
xouper

Post by xouper »

In yesterday's haul of free kindle books, here's a cover that caught my eye, and is one I might actually read, especially since it's only 32 pages.

Hey, if Cardi B can sell Wet Ass Pussy on Amazon, then so can anyone else. Although, that hasn't stopped hypocrite Bezos (et al) from censoring stuff they don't like.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41xGBok6SDS.jpg

Green Eggs and Wet Ass Pussy
by Dr Buck Brennan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0965S28VN/
Green Eggs and W.A.P. is an informative and satirical conservative commentary on progressive social norms, politics, and cancel culture. It helps people try to make sense of a progressive world where strippers win woman of the year, Dr. Suess is a racist, and pronoun "they" is now a singular.
It's still free as I write this, so get it while you can.

Publication date: May 28, 2021
Best Sellers Rank: #24 in Political Fiction (Kindle Store)

Post by xouper »

xouper

Post by xouper »

In yesterday's haul of free kindle books from amazon:

https://i.imgur.com/YE0Iigs.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CVB3TLN/

Still free as I write this.

Just for my own personal amusement, I was going to email the author (Corey Burton) about the typo in the title, but I could not find any contact information, not on amazon, or anywhere else on the interwebz.

The typo is only in the cover image, whereas the product page has the correct title.

And then (as a verified purchaser) I thought about leaving a review (which would apparently be the first one), with the title "Who poofread the cover image?" But then I thought, why spoil other people's fun. And by "fun" I mean "pointing and laughing".

Instead, let's see how long that typo goes unnoticed by the publisher.

Disclaimer: I assume it goes without saying, I intentionally misspelled "proofread" as part of the joke, but the risk is that there are some who will miss the joke and get their panties in a twist and complain about my "complaint".

Or perhaps I am the one who missed the joke, and the typo in the cover image was intentional to see how many people notice. Perhaps kind of like a surreptitious marketing survey. But that would assume a level of cleverness they probably don't have.

On the other hand, it seems there is also a grammar error in the subtitle. A generous person might forgive the error if the author's native language is not English.

Regardless, if an author wishes to be perceived as a credible source of information (which would seem to be the case here), then it would behoove them to have an actual editor review the work before publication, even if the book is self-published. Perhaps that cost is not justifiable if you intend to give the book away for free.

:dunno:
xouper

Post by xouper »

xouper wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:01 am Or perhaps I am the one who missed the joke, and the typo in the cover image was intentional to see how many people notice. Perhaps kind of like a surreptitious marketing survey. But that would assume a level of cleverness they probably don't have.
After briefly perusing the contents, I can safely rule out that possibility. There are obvious typos throughout the book and the formatting is horrendous.

I am tempted to leave a review on amazon, but I would prefer to give my feedback privately to the author/publisher.

As long as the book is free, then why not let the readers decide for themselves whether it was worth the purchase price, especially if there is even the remotest chance that someone might find something useful in it.

But if they raise the price, I might reconsider.

I could not find any contact information within the book.

However, on the final page of the book, the author credits some people, including Seiichi Matsuoka, the CEO of Fixer, based in Tokyo, Japan.

That and other Japanese references in the book strongly tempt me to infer that English might not be the author's native language.

I have now officially spent far too much time on this mystery.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Once you download a book do you effectively own it?
xouper

Post by xouper »

ed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:58 am Once you download a book do you effectively own it?
Depends on what you mean by "effectively".

According to amazon's terms of service, no. They can delete it from your device without warning. And you are not allowed to sell it to anyone. And if you want to lend it to someone, you must do it through their service, which means they track who you lend it to.

As a practical matter though, there are ways around those restrictions. So yes, I effectively own the ebooks I download from amazon.

Does that answer your question?

If you buy an ebook from other vendors (who sell the EPUB format as opposed to the KINDLE version), then yes, you effectively own it.

My personal preference is the EPUB format, which amazon does not sell.

I did actually buy an amazon kindle book a while ago, because it was written by one of the attorneys who used to post on this forum:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg

It Says Here You Shot A Puppy
by Elbow Jobertski

Sadly, the kindle version is no longer available, but you can still get the paperback:

https://www.amazon.com/Says-Here-You-Shot-Puppy/dp/1463619766

I still have the kindle version, though, and I have protected it from deletion by amazon.

Seems his website is gone too: http://elbowjobertski.com
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hmmmm .... dead?
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:16 pmHmmmm .... dead?
You can get pills for that.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:01 pm That reminds me, . . .
I didn't see this when it was originally posted, but this was (chef's kiss) perfection.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:57 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:01 pm That reminds me, . . .
I didn't see this when it was originally posted, but this was (chef's kiss) perfection.
I am perfect. This upsets some posters.
xouper

Post by xouper »

:roll:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

QED
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:58 amQED
Wrong.

The rolling eyes I posted does not demonstrate either of your claims: 1) you are perfect, 2) that I am upset.

Your error in critical thinking just demonstrated (again) you are not, in fact, perfect.

On the other hand, if you were merely attempting to make a joke about being perfect, then it was a bad one (because of the lame punchline that attempts to disparage others here), thus again deserving of some rolling eyes.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Yet, you demonstrate agitation.

Take another tablet, son.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

QED
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Funny.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

C'mon people -- I want a clean break and a good fight.