The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The UK thread

Post by Doctor X »

ceptimus wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:46 amAside from the dubious policy message, and waste of money, what's the idea behind the weird fonts? Different width letters, varying italics, odd spacing - is it just a reference to the, 'everyone is different' idea, or is there some cleverness behind it?
IT MEAQNS THAT EVEYONE SUPPORTS SCOTTISH INDEP{ENDENCE!!1!!!1!

– J.D.

P.S. No, I have not been drinking whilst watching Japanese Horror Anime. Just channeling PMQs.

P.P.S. 雨の中に [ダメ! – Ed.]
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

:(
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Damn.

Recall him from PMQT.

– J.D.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Sounds like Islamist attack (attacker was Somali), same as the last Tory mp who was stabbed
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The police are characterizing it as a terrorist attack.

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

From Bugger'd by Colonists:
The BBC has been told he was referred to the counter-terrorist Prevent scheme some years ago, but was never a formal subject of interest to MI5.
Nice.

– J.D.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:22 am The police are characterizing it as a terrorist attack.

– J.D.
Absolutely. And the MPs response is to start talking about further social media abuse restrictions.

Because terrorism.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Though this was done well:

– J.D.
Giz

Post by Giz »

“The hate that dare not speak its name
Britain is in the grip of a pathological unwillingness to talk about radical Islam.

It feels like the political class is gaslighting the nation. Reading the newspapers has become an entirely disorienting experience. ‘PM faces calls for “David’s law” to halt online abuse’ screams the front page of today’s Guardian. What does this mean? Was Amess subjected to online abuse? There’s no suggestion he was. So why are we talking about this? Why would a man allegedly murdered by someone who the police suspect had radical Islamist beliefs need to be memorialised with a law against saying stupid things online? The disconnect between what seems to have happened in Leigh-on-Sea and the questions and concerns now dominating political discourse is confusingly vast. “

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/10/1 ... -its-name/

Shades of the Rotherham scandal… head in sand, don’t talk about it and maybe it will go away.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

How often is it noted that he is an Islamic terrorist?

– J.D.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

When a right-wing nutcase killed the MP Jo Cox, everyone in the media, and others, such as the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, were very quick to comment and condemn.

Contrast that with an Islamic nutcase killing David Amess, and the media are all talking about extra censorship on social media platforms, and urging MPs to be more polite to each other.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Stay Calm
and
Stab Away
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

ceptimus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pmContrast that with an Islamic nutcase killing David Amess, and the media are all talking about extra censorship on social media platforms, and urging MPs to be more polite to each other.
Given that one of the concerns those who eulogized him claim he had was harassment through the internet of members, particularly female members, I can see why some are doing the typical WE MUST DO SOMETHING reflex, particularly since the Islamist responsible was known.

I will spare you the multiple linkypoos, but while Jo Cox did experience some harassment online, none of it came from her murderer. I am unaware that "online harassment" led to him deciding to murder her, but I am always happy to be proven wrong.

So I suspect this is just that, WE MUST DO SOMETHING which is relatively easy, but does not actually solve the problem. Sort of like all of those anti-free speech laws that are very popular in, say, Scotland.

In the rain.

– J.D.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

IS EATING PEOPLE!!!1!!!

– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

I knew I should have purchased marine insurance on top of the auto insurance, just in case.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:46 am
ceptimus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pmContrast that with an Islamic nutcase killing David Amess, and the media are all talking about extra censorship on social media platforms, and urging MPs to be more polite to each other.
Given that one of the concerns those who eulogized him claim he had was harassment through the internet of members, particularly female members, I can see why some are doing the typical WE MUST DO SOMETHING reflex, particularly since the Islamist responsible was known.

I will spare you the multiple linkypoos, but while Jo Cox did experience some harassment online, none of it came from her murderer. I am unaware that "online harassment" led to him deciding to murder her, but I am always happy to be proven wrong.

So I suspect this is just that, WE MUST DO SOMETHING which is relatively easy, but does not actually solve the problem. Sort of like all of those anti-free speech laws that are very popular in, say, Scotland.

In the rain.

– J.D.
Cox could have been considered an anomaly.
Amess informs them it could be a precedent.

And of course the people elected by the people and for the people will use the people's money for extra security that the people don't get themselves.

I've had a look at Amess's twitter. Very little hostility or even comment. (With the possible predictable exception of a post about Teh Thatch (PBUH). Even then the spew is directed at her.)

As ever, the talking heads and nodding dogs will make what political capital they can out of it and the vast majority will be wrong.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Nobody's making plans for Nigel.

Apparently in 2020 there were no babies in the UK Given the name Nigel.

This, may indicate some intelligence on behalf of the UK population. However, there were several Lucifers . Of course this continued a long standing tradition of a sub-section of British and Other parents deciding that getting 11 seconds of attention at various points over the next sixteen years is more important than traumatising their pets children and possibly creating one or two serial killers.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:20 pm Nobody's making plans for Nigel.

Apparently in 2020 there were no babies in the UK Given the name Nigel.

This, may indicate some intelligence on behalf of the UK population. However, there were several Lucifers . Of course this continued a long standing tradition of a sub-section of British and Other parents deciding that getting 11 seconds of attention at various points over the next sixteen years is more important than traumatising their pets children and possibly creating one or two serial killers.
This just means that in 20-30 years, there will be chartered accountants named Lucifer and Nigels will be exotic.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

No Baʿal Berith though.

Or Carol.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Giz

Post by Giz »

“ The demonisation of Israel on British campuses is spiralling out of control.

Last night Tzipi Hotovely, Israeli ambassador to the UK, had to be evacuated from an event at the London School of Economics (LSE).
…[snip]…
LSE Class War, which yesterday wrote on Instagram: ‘Whoever smashes the Ambassador car window… gets pints. Let’s fuckin frighten her’ (sic).

Yesterday also marked the 83rd anniversary of Kristallnach (the Night of Broken Glass),
…[snip]…
Only Israeli speakers appear to provoke this kind of anger. In the past decade or so, the LSE has hosted a former Iranian diplomat, a Chinese ambassador and the Russian foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov. None of these representatives were hounded off campus. These events all passed without incident.“

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/11/1 ... f-control/
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

See, that's what happens when you allow Lucifers to enrol at the London School of Economics to learn accountancy.

I told them....
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Mind you, Ms Hotlove seems to be a teensy bit of a wanker.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

https://i.ibb.co/yd224FW/Corruption.jpg