Roseanne reboot

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Roseanne reboot

Post by Pyrrho »

Why would I watch that. Why would anyone watch that.
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Rob Lister »

John Goodman

That's about it.
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Doctor X »

Pyrrho wrote:Why would I watch that. Why would anyone watch that.
Stupid people.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Anaxagoras »

Apparently a lot of people wanted to watch it (I was not a watcher the first time either):

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings
The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

So, yes, even bigger than NBC’s mega-hit This Is Us during any of its regularly scheduled episodes, where the weepy dramedy usually tops out around a 3.0 adult demo rating (the special This Is Us post-Super Bowl episode was bigger, but that’s to be expected).

In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels.

Also kinda incredible, given how ratings have declined over the years: Roseanne’s return was actually higher among total viewers than its 1997 finale 21 years ago!

The Roseanne hour-long premiere audience also grew slightly from the show’s first episode at 8 p.m. to its second at 8:30 p.m., which is a good sign.

A couple other data points: This is Tuesday’s highest-rated entertainment telecast in six years among young adults and ABC’s best results in the time slot since 2006.
Apparently Dan (Goodman) died according to the finale episode of the original series so I guess they had to pretend that wasn't true. Whatever.
gnome
Posts: 25992
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by gnome »

Anaxagoras wrote:Apparently a lot of people wanted to watch it (I was not a watcher the first time either):

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings
The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

So, yes, even bigger than NBC’s mega-hit This Is Us during any of its regularly scheduled episodes, where the weepy dramedy usually tops out around a 3.0 adult demo rating (the special This Is Us post-Super Bowl episode was bigger, but that’s to be expected).

In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels.

Also kinda incredible, given how ratings have declined over the years: Roseanne’s return was actually higher among total viewers than its 1997 finale 21 years ago!

The Roseanne hour-long premiere audience also grew slightly from the show’s first episode at 8 p.m. to its second at 8:30 p.m., which is a good sign.

A couple other data points: This is Tuesday’s highest-rated entertainment telecast in six years among young adults and ABC’s best results in the time slot since 2006.
Apparently Dan (Goodman) died according to the finale episode of the original series so I guess they had to pretend that wasn't true. Whatever.
I've read up on the original ending--it is a depressing, bitter sucker-punch to the audience. For hate's sake it spit its last breath at the viewers. Worse than the Battlestar Galactica finale. Worse than the Enterprise finale. Worse than Highlander II.

I'm glad they brought the show back if only to undo that.
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Pyrrho »

Rob Lister wrote:John Goodman

That's about it.
At this point in his career, there's no good reason aside from money for him to debase himself as a foil for that harridan.
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Rob Lister »

Well, that was quick
"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said Tuesday.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Anaxagoras »

Aaaaand, she's gone. Buh-bye Rosie. Can't say I'll miss you.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:A robot wouldn't have done that. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't be so sure...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

What I see now is all the MAGA types on FB pushing to try to get Fox to pick up the series, apparently unaware of two things

1) Fox Entertainment <> Fox News. And Disney is in the process of buying out Fox Entertainment

2) Several of the shows stars and crew quit even before ABC dropped it. SO I suspect that if they somehow DID get the show back on elsewhere, it would be Roseanne monologuing by herself.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Anaxagoras »

Funny thing: Barr has said things on Twitter in the past that are just as offensive, and ABC should have known that she was likely to do it again. Maybe they should have made censoring her Twitter account a condition of employment before letting her have a TV show again. Politically, she's all over the place: sometimes extreme left, other times extreme right. She went from extremely anti-Israel to the opposite.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/29/17406014/ ... mp-twitter
This was not a first offense for Barr on Twitter (or in real life). Over the years, her language and ideas have weaved through all kinds of dark and bizarre territory. It’s not exactly consistent, either; it swings across the political spectrum, unified only by its extremity. She promoted Pizzagate. She believes 9/11 was an inside job. She flags vaccine conspiracy theories. She called Israel a “Nazi state” in 2009 and promoted a Holocaust-denying musician in 2013. Then she turned around and became a massive supporter of Israel (and a rabid opponent of the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement).
Plenty of examples of her insane tweets in the article. If ABC didn't know about this or see it coming that she would do it again, and take some steps to prevent that, it seems rather negligent on their part.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Anaxagoras wrote:Funny thing: Barr has said things on Twitter in the past that are just as offensive, and ABC should have known that she was likely to do it again. Maybe they should have made censoring her Twitter account a condition of employment before letting her have a TV show again. Politically, she's all over the place: sometimes extreme left, other times extreme right. She went from extremely anti-Israel to the opposite.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/29/17406014/ ... mp-twitter
This was not a first offense for Barr on Twitter (or in real life). Over the years, her language and ideas have weaved through all kinds of dark and bizarre territory. It’s not exactly consistent, either; it swings across the political spectrum, unified only by its extremity. She promoted Pizzagate. She believes 9/11 was an inside job. She flags vaccine conspiracy theories. She called Israel a “Nazi state” in 2009 and promoted a Holocaust-denying musician in 2013. Then she turned around and became a massive supporter of Israel (and a rabid opponent of the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement).
Plenty of examples of her insane tweets in the article. If ABC didn't know about this or see it coming that she would do it again, and take some steps to prevent that, it seems rather negligent on their part.
Part of me wonders if the Twitter thing was a pretext. She also has a reputation as being hard to work with. I have to wonder if maybe she didn’t somehow piss off some bigwig at ABC/Disney and they just waited for the inevitable crazy to come out of her mouth/fingers so they could fire her
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Doctor X »

If a man is trying to drown himself, do not throw him a rope.

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

According to Roseanne herself, it was the Ambien talking
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The funny thing is, that "blatant racism" is not listed as a side effect of Ambien. Funny that
Witness
Posts: 35689
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Witness »

Link:
I suppose that's the same "roseanne"?
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49739
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

They can still salvage the show by just changing a few letters

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B87EF68
sparks
Posts: 17559
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by sparks »

"Shut the fuck up Donny."
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Doctor X »

"Mark it a 'zero!'"

--J.D.
shemp
Posts: 7247
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: inbred shit-for-brains
Location: Planet X

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by shemp »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:According to Roseanne herself, it was the Ambien talking
That's just part of her shtick, as it might be Dean Martin and alcohol. 8)
Deano tweeted racist shit? Don't remember that.
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Rob Lister »

So word on! the street is they're going to continue the show without Roseassne.

The focus will be the struggles of her lesbian single mom daughter.

If they put her in a wheelchair it will be a bigger hit.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Roseanne reboot

Post by Anaxagoras »

Maybe they could kill her off like they killed off Dan??



(I never watched myself, only recently read about how the original series ended.)