Is this offensive/racist? A course of study

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Is this offensive/racist? A course of study

Post by ed »

"Someone"
Who is this "someone"? Will they stand up and debate their contention? If not then they are dismissable.

Incidentially, Ican find offence in anything, it is my gift.

That picture:
1. employs moorish (Islamic) architecture yet juxtaposes an unveiled woman over it. Deeply offensive.
2. Shows a human likeness. Deeply offensive to a number of cultures
3. Suggests a "rising sun" motif which is cultural appropriation
4. Uses the colors of the Florida Gators which is theft
5. Uses the team colors of Florida International University which is elitist
6. Uses colors which mocks and minimizes those with color perception challanges
7. Is visual which mocks the unsighted
8. Shows an idealized caucasian nose which is antisemitic, islamophobic and pisses off Danny Thomas

I could go on.
My services are available for a small fee.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Or just the monkey.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

The monkey certainly but more than that the fact that he is giving the Heil Hitler salute.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 pm Looks to much like this guy, of course.

What else could it be? :BigGrin3:
:x Hey, my wife and kids are Japanese!! :x :x

But, yeah.
The debate over a school mural in Koreatown has pitted community members who called the work racist against anti-censorship artists and free-speech advocates. Now a new and surprising voice has entered the fray: A coalition of artists, curators and local museum staffers advocating for the mural to be removed or substantially altered.
The mural by Beau Stanton at the Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex depicts the face of Ava Gardner, who frequented the Cocoanut Grove nightclub that once stood on the Wilshire Boulevard site. But the orange-red and blue rays fanned out around her face, critics said, evoke the World War II-era imperial Japanese battle flag. The imagery is offensive to some Koreans and Korean Americans who live or work nearby, critics have said.
The Los Angeles Unified School District agreed in early December to erase the mural. The school district then reversed its position after fierce pushback from artists, arts advocates and others, such as the National Coalition Against Censorship, citing the importance of freedom of speech, particularly on a school campus named for the champion of social justice who was murdered at the site in 1968. LAUSD officials said they would explore potential solutions, but no action has been taken.
Now a group of art-world professionals organized under the name Gyopo (loosely meaning Korean diaspora) is resurrecting the issue and calling for the mural to be removed or substantially altered. Gyopo has sent a letter to LAUSD Superintendent Roberto Martinez and board President Monica Garcia imploring that they take fast action and adding that silence from the school board has been troubling. The artwork, Gyopo said, distresses locals and triggers memories of atrocities committed against Koreans and others by Japanese forces during the war.
Last edited by Anaxagoras on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Cheater! Figamagee rescinded!!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I saw it immediately, but then I am awakened to the need to feel deeply offended.

--J.D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑↑↑ Kitsch, especially well-meaning kitsch, is always offensive. (To Humanity, of course.)