So like, Doctor Who is cucked, and a woman is the least of it

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Re: So like, Doctor Who is cucked, and a woman is the least of it

Post by Nyarlathotep »

corplinx wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm What is the doctor's motivation now? Jodie has been dealt a bad hand. "You just fly around in a ship and solve mysteries like scooby doo".
That merely represents a return to form. The Time War was a 2005 invention, from 1963 until 2005, "Flying around in a ship and solving mysteries like Scooby Doo" was pretty much all The Doctor did. Save for a brief period in the 70s where they took away the ship and he just solved mysteries while stuck on Earth.

Also, The Doctor being kind of weird about violence is an old tradition too. The Fourth Doctor (the one with the enormously long scarf and the beaky nose, who is the one most older Americans think of when they think "Doctor Who") had an opportunity to kill off the Daleks at the time of their creation. He declined, citing that he didn't feel right about it. Then the 7th Doctor (the one in the 80s who looked like Al from Quantum Leap) destroyed their homeworld. It's never been consistent.

Overall, I am liking the show. I don't care why the the companions were hired, I like them (though I think they could ditch the younger ones, keep the older one and not have killed off his wife in episode 1. They were far more interesting as a couple than the others). I am not going to bitch because they are not all white anyway. I am just glad that it isn't yet another pretty woman who wants to be the Doctor's girlfriend.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

corplinx wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 pm The old series is dead. This is the new one.

It's easy to justify any bad screenwriting based off the original series.

Peter Capaldi's scripts were train wrecks but at least pacing was good.

This is just bad TV for the modern era. That last episode was bad, bad, bad and it doesn't matter if the Doctor's companions are pink, alien, robots, or an obvious human diversity play. Bad writing is bad writing.

Continuity between seasons has always been a joke among Who fans, we get that already.

"Don't shoot the spider!" "didn't you just lock them all in a room to die, and they are a cannibal species, sooooo"

Jodie will take the blame for this. She will be remembered as a bad doctor through no fault of her own.

It's all the same series. It's all considered the same continuity, such as it is.

I will agree that the Spider episode was not the high point of the series so far, but they can't all be winners. My favorite of the "modern" run of the show was Capaldi's final season, but there were a couple of clunkers in there too. The one with the lost Roman Legion, for instance. And seriously, was the Spider episode any worse than the one where the Moon turned out to be an egg. Or the fact that through most of the Matt Smith episodes you had a lesbian Lizard woman, her human wife, and a butler that looked like Mr. Potato Head living in London and no one cared?

I don't know that Jodie will be remembered as a Bad Doctor either. So far, the new season has been doing well and the Doctors who are generally thought of as "bad doctors" are the ones who seemed to be at risk of killing the show or who actually did so (6 and 7)
gnome

Post by gnome »

The gun thing is really just a long established idiosyncrasy. Changing it now would be like having Batman or Daredevil go all shooty. Even if it doesn't always make a lot of rational sense, it's iconic to the character. I don't see a political injection there.