Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

We are the Borg.
robinson
Title: Happiness is a choice!

Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

Post by robinson »

(disclaimer: wife wanted HBO, we got HBO)

It's fucking really good, and the scenes about the 48 hours till doomsday is flat out one of the best ever on TV. I had actually forgot (or never really knew) about just how bad it could have been. It's a lot like Fukushima, and with the same scenario (Fukushima 50), however the fate of the Chernobyl three isn't actually clear. They either died horribly, or are still alive and well today.

Fucking Soviets.

They are also revealing just how fucking horrible radiation death actually is. Like so much of history, you wait long enough they can make a series about what really happened.

In case it's not crystal, if you have HBO it is a must see series.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

Post by sparks »

No HBO here, but I'd love to see it.

Owing to the size of the initial explosion, I'd rather guess that the boys at the plant are dead and very nearly from the moment of same explosion.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

robinson wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 pm
if you have HBO
Welllllll .....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqLldh5UkAAzpd1.jpg
Arrrrrhhhhhhh
robinson

Post by robinson »

sparks wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 am No HBO here, but I'd love to see it.

Owing to the size of the initial explosion, I'd rather guess that the boys at the plant are dead and very nearly from the moment of same explosion.
The three are the ones who went in under the reactor to drain the water. After the explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl ... osion_risk
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Thought you were talking about the crew who fucked up originally, causing the melt and resulting explosion.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

It is a good series.

--J.D.
robinson

Post by robinson »

sparks wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Thought you were talking about the crew who fucked up originally, causing the melt and resulting explosion.
That myth may never die. It was a design flaw that caused the disaster. Not the crew.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The series actually put the worst case scenario on TV (yeah, on HBO), something that has been ignored for 30 years.
sparks

Post by sparks »

It's my understanding through various books on the subject that the crew were doing some tests and as a result turned off or otherwise negated safety features that would otherwise have scrammed the plant prior to the explosion and melting.

They had essentially stalled the core out and in trying to keep it going had removed the control rods. When they then tried to scram manually, the (serious design flaw) graphite tipped control rods drop back in. The additional graphite in the core caused it to go ballistic.

Operator error and design flaw(s).

And as depicted in the series, the redacted truth of the positive criticality flaw in the design.

Fucking Rooskies.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Unlike TMI, which was people fucking up (on so many levels), the poor bastards running Chernobyl were blamed, when it was a design flaw.

Fuckign commie shitheads
sparks

Post by sparks »

Do not agree that it was only a design flaw, sorry but that's not what I've seen and read. That bloody testing they were doing was pure human fuckery plain and simple. "But, but I was ordered to do it..." Famous last words. They should have known better than to fuck with the dragon like that.

And also do not agree on TMI: They did the best they could without really knowing what the fuck was going on. Parts failure compounded by humans making stupid assumptions without sufficient facts.

Now then, Chernobyl was a piss poor design right out of the box. Not so with TMI, and they still melted 1/3rd of the core.

Solid fuel reactors are just plain bullshit and especially BWRs and PWRs, I mean, fuck! Using a coolant that can change states with a drop in pressure/rise in temperature extremes is fucking madness.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Pretty much.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Better way to do it: LFTR.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

For what it is worth IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 5 MINUTE MAJOR [Thorazine--Ed.]PENALTY IN GAIT'S A GOD-AWFUL small affair to the girl with the with the mousy hair

--J. "But the Film is a Saddening Bore" D.
The Editor

Post by The Editor »

The Home Box Office podcast on the final episode discusses dramatic licenses taken which include the trial. Legasov was not at the trial. The creators felt that the introduction of new characters providing the information would lack the power. However, Dyatlov's rants were taken from transcripts. They maintain that Dyatlov was depicted as all remember him.

They also felt it was important to explain what actually happened from a both the technical and human aspects. Correctly, they decided that the audience would want to know why a reactor that cannot explode exploded.

On that note, Our Charge would have included a link to some physicist with a rather puerile nom de merde involving the auditory effects of electrons streaming suddenly from the ground to the clouds and feet where he rather rants and raves for more than thirty minutes on how Chernobyl did not contain weapons grade uranium and would not, therefore, explode while utterly failing to discuss such issues as fallout and radiation, but we found him curled up in a fetal position under his drum set chanting "Pukka! Pukka! Pukka! Bonham Triplet! Cross-Overs! It was Her Turn!" until we placed him before a replay of a recent conflict between the indigenous people of a city on the border between the states of Kansas and Missouri and a group who, apparently, despise British tea yet "have lots of bling!"
sparks

Post by sparks »

Well done sir!

Indeed, there are many ways to 'explode'.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The female scientist in the series is a fiction. She represents a multitude of Russian scientists and nuclear engineers, embodied in her character. (like, hundreds of people)

Saved a lot on casting that way.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

https://i.imgur.com/WjXTvRs.png
sparks

Post by sparks »

Just a little hiccup in the reactivity. 3.2 GWt nominal output and the excursion has been estimated to have been 350 GWt.

Oops!
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Thunderf00t has put out a couple of videos on the science aspects that the dramatization gets wrong or exaggerates. The main one about the risk of a megaton scale explosion that would make most of Europe uninhabitable for 100 years. (Any explosion measured in megatons means about 100 times bigger than the Hiroshima bomb)

I would like to watch it but I haven't had a chance yet as it isn't available on my streams yet. So it's a bit of a spoiler for me.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 am Thunderf00t has put out a couple of videos on the science aspects that the dramatization gets wrong or exaggerates. The main one about the risk of a megaton scale explosion that would make most of Europe uninhabitable for 100 years. (Any explosion measured in megatons means about 100 times bigger than the Hiroshima bomb)

I would like to watch it but I haven't had a chance yet as it isn't available on my streams yet. So it's a bit of a spoiler for me.
I watched the first of the two. Thunderf00t breathlessly gets wrapped around the axle of the talk about letting the molten core reach the water store below having the potential of a 2-4 mt bomb. In their context, I think they were talking about radiation release, and not of the destructive forces. He chooses to take that reference literally and bangs on it for 15 minutes. I wasted my time watching it.
sparks

Post by sparks »

ThunderFuck is an idiot dick and always has been. It can be ignored on that basis.

If it can go critical, it can go all 'splodey. The RBMKs had this great feature of being able to go 'splodey because of asshats and lies. Wondering if Dyatlov was really that big of a fucking cunt. The writers presented cunt as the biggest single factor in the 'splosion. Wondering if that's true. As a matter of drama, we all look for some fucking cunt to pile our hate on. But that seldom is reality. Sometimes, shit just happens.

And the latest band-aid will last for 100 years. Fucking amazing. Wondering what the fuck the kidz will do when that collapses. 'Course, that presumes there'll be anyone left after 100 years. If the Orange Fucktard has its way, there won't be.

What a fucking shit-smear is our dear POTUS.
robinson

Post by robinson »

There is evidence that what actually happened involved a nuclear explosion, followed by the steam explosion. The eyewitness accounts are backed up by the types of isotopes measured from the fallout. One of the problems faced when trying to make a bomb is getting the nuclear material close enough before it turns everything to plasma and blows the material apart.

(if you don't know about this, well, you are over your head in this discussion)

Anyhow
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 17.1384269

Fascinating shit. I would venture the authorities absolutely don't ever want this to "be true", because it raises serious concerns about reactor safety. Just like the huge explosion at Fukushima reactor 3 "has to be" just a hydrogen explosion (which it clearly was not), because if it was anything else then the Mark 3 has a serious fucking flaw in the design. But as with most things nuclear, the facts are the last thing we will know, at least not for a very long time.
sparks

Post by sparks »

We all await the facts you are about to present which will back up your ... rather lurid ... claims.

ETA: "(if you don't know about this, well, you are over your head in this discussion)"

Go fuck yourself cum-guzzler.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

As with most of his videos, he makes a point that can be made in one or two minutes, then repeats it for thirty to forty minutes. In this case, as noted, he really does not address the radiation nor the dangers of letting the damn thing continue without the efforts the Soviets finally made which, Heavens to Betsy, was the whole point of the docudrama.

Again, no one I am aware of claimed that "Chernobyl xploded!111!!" like a "nuculer" bomb. The docudrama certainly did not make that claim. Indeed, the "point" was that the damn things were suppose to be impossible to "explode." Just the photos of the fucking facility demonstrates that it did, indeed, explode. It just was not a thermonuculer [Stop that!--Ed.] explosion.

As for Dyatalov, all I can find on him described him as the Cunt as depicted including threatening workers with their jobs. They based his rants at the "trial" on the transcripts. I suppose everyone interviewed as they were dying all conspired to put the blame on him. The "point" of the docudrama, which appears supported by other material, is the failure of the, for want of a better term, "kill switch." Seems simple: put in all of the control rods, cannot sustain a chain reaction, everything gets better.

I would have liked an explanation as to why the "tips" of the rods had graphite. The docudrama alludes that it, as well as the absence of a ton of other safety measures, were due to cost savings.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 pm I would have liked an explanation as to why the "tips" of the rods had graphite. The docudrama alludes that it, as well as the absence of a ton of other safety measures, were due to cost savings.

--J.D.
Funny enough, there's another Youtube video I saw about that which explains.

This guy seems to do a pretty good job.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

That video recommends a more detailed, and I think better explanation:

--J.D.
robinson

Post by robinson »

CANDU reactors, the only way to go
gnome

Post by gnome »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 pmIt just was not a thermonuculer [Stop that!--Ed.] explosion.
I think it would have been especially difficult for a fission reactor to create a thermonuclear explosion.
robinson

Post by robinson »

sparks wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:54 pm ThunderFuck is an idiot dick and always has been. It can be ignored on that basis.

If it can go critical, it can go all 'splodey. The RBMKs had this great feature of being able to go 'splodey because of asshats and lies. Wondering if Dyatlov was really that big of a fucking cunt. The writers presented cunt as the biggest single factor in the 'splosion. Wondering if that's true. As a matter of drama, we all look for some fucking cunt to pile our hate on. But that seldom is reality. Sometimes, shit just happens.

And the latest band-aid will last for 100 years. Fucking amazing. Wondering what the fuck the kidz will do when that collapses. 'Course, that presumes there'll be anyone left after 100 years. If the Orange Fucktard has its way, there won't be.

What a fucking shit-smear is our dear POTUS.
This is my final post about my non-Trump attitude. Note sparks blaming Trump, and I didn't even respond to it. It's not that I pretend to not care, I actually don't care.
robinson

Post by robinson »

I think the only reason I ever post about Trump is to enjoy watching the frothing at the mouth by the woke.