Joker

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Joker

Post by Rob Lister »

First of all, congrats to the publicist hired to promote this movie. You have done an admirable job.

https://i.imgur.com/JYSS87j.jpg

The trailers are all tantalizing. Critics are expressing 'fears' about what this movie will do when released.

I might even go to the fucking theater to watch it, and I haven't been to a theater in more than a decade. That's how good a job they've done.

I'm waiting for Nyarl's take though. That is the real litmus test of a decent show.
Rob Lister

Re: Joker

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:18 pm Oh yes, the incel terrorist alt-right movie.

The Joker is really a typical Trump supporter, even though Gotham City is eternally New York City in an alternate universe where the fiscal crisis of the 1970s went the other way.

But the one true Joker is still Cesar Romero, though Jack Nicholson did a good job with the character.
Jack was good but utterly dwarfed by Heath Ledger's interpretation.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:18 pm Oh yes, the incel terrorist alt-right movie.

The Joker is really a typical Trump supporter, even though Gotham City is eternally New York City in an alternate universe where the fiscal crisis of the 1970s went the other way.

But the one true Joker is still Cesar Romero, though Jack Nicholson did a good job with the character.
For those of us of a certain age, Cesar Romero is the One True Joker.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Heath was good. He realized how good and knew he would never attain that quality in his acting again so he became despondent and killed himself with drugs.

True story. The Olsen Twins covered it up.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Opened yesterday. IMDB ranks it at 9.1 from 200k voters.

Rotten Tomatoes proves, once again, that professional critics are pompously clueless.

https://i.imgur.com/KLzGBy4.jpg
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/reviews

Typical:
asshat bloviating critic wrote:---splat---All the worst inflections of comic book origin fetish, dangerously misunderstanding complex themes from Scorsese's films, and glibly piggybacking on zeitgeisty social issues.
I don't want to turn this into a thread on stupid pompous critics but this specific asshat hated The Last Jedi, The Big Short, and The Shawshank Redemption, among other 8 and 9 star flicks.

I'm not saying he should be horsewhipped, bitchslapped, or keelhauled, but there should be some retribution, like being forced to watch Battlefield Earth all day and night for a week straight.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

It's just a show and they really should relax.
Fid

Post by Fid »

I'm not saying he should be horsewhipped, bitchslapped, or keelhauled, but there should be some retribution, like being forced to watch Battlefield Earth all day and night for a week straight.
I suggest a theater showing films he considers worthy of his august approval with an audience of teen girls chatting texting and popping gum. The last at a volume and frequency to resemble frying bacon.
The Joker
Title: MODERATOR

Post by The Joker »

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Rob Lister wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am I'm waiting for Nyarl's take though. That is the real litmus test of a decent show.
Well!?
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Rob Lister wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am I'm waiting for Nyarl's take though. That is the real litmus test of a decent show.
Well!?
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hated it. I would rather have been punched in the throat with a badger while getting audited by the IRS while on fire.

I wish someone would have opened fire during the movie. It would have relieved the boredom
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm Right wing (or at any rate non-leftist) pundits have a lot to say about this movie.

Sargon has no less than five videos on the subject. Didn't watch them all, not posting any here.

Here's one from PJ Watson which is not too long and bearable to watch (he did two).
A good representative of the genre.

I only just now watched this. I find it fucking hilarious that a dyed in the wool Trump supporter like PJ Watson, someone who does nothing but hurl vitriol at people he hates, spent the last minute or so of the movie decrying the breakdown of civility in modern culture. Mote, beam, eye, etc. It's like me going on a rant about people being too fat and cynical.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 pm More proof Trump is just like Hitler.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-hosts-whit ... 46043.html

Good, Trump and his friends, staff and family got to be bored to death for 2 and a half hours too.
The Joker
Title: MODERATOR

Post by The Joker »

https://i.imgur.com/oGlFx54.jpg
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

It's high on my list of movies I'll never watch.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 pm Finally saw it. I will say one thing.
where did you see it?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 pm Finally saw it. I will say one thing.
where did you see it?
I saw it either on Netflix or Amazon Prime a while ago. Don't remember which one.

Maybe the best part was the song they played over the ending credits.

Not a bad choice. Although they used the Jimmy Durante cover, not Nat King Cole.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Post by robinson »

Joker was based on Bernie Goetz

The writer said so
robinson

Post by robinson »

But for woke reasons the gang that beat him in the street was made non black, just as the subway thugs were made white

Nobody dares make an accurate subway vigilante film
robinson

Post by robinson »

Which is why almost nobody knows the story of a meek Jew who changed New York City forever in a few seconds