The Dune Thread

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: The Dune Thread

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:24 am I enjoyed Dune in the same way as TLOR: it's pure escapism. Now, if you want real SciFi, I've got a very long list...
TLOR (or LOTR in American) was not self righteously irritating.

Herbert made this thing and added elements that were sorta like in-jokes that weren't funny nor were they terribly creative nor did they add anything.

A glom jabber fer chrissakes. The first thing that the kid should have done afterwards is to have gotten the fat Chinese guy to cut her head off. I would have, you would have. And the names. Really "Duncan Idaho". My god.

And the fucking initial premise. A sophisticated Duke gets taken in and killed in the first 5 pages. Really? And did he pass his political sophistication on to his child?

BEHOLD!!!! I can write a 1,257 page book!!!

God, I hate aluminum.
Last edited by ed on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:07 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:25 am https://earthandhuman.org/most-polluted ... the-world/
I call bullshit on any list that puts any American river on the same footing as the fucking corpse laden Ganges.

Shoulda been the Tallahatchie.

Too soon?
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Anyway, any remake not containing an English pop star that is a shittier actor that Keanu Reeves (just) is not worth my time.
ed

Post by ed »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:30 pm Anyway, any remake not containing an English pop star that is a shittier actor that Keanu Reeves (just) is not worth my time.
The other other thing about this remake is that all of the actors, ALL OF THEM, appear to be heavily tranquilized. I have not seen so little affect since my visits to Creedmoor State Hospital where they used Thorazine rather than locked doors.

The whole goddamn thing was a silver alert.

ATTENTION ATTENTION be alert to the presence of hundreds of actors shambling in a desert.

ETA I'd rather, far rather, have a shitty pop star than some unknown that has the get up and go of a pithed frog.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I never much cared for the book(s) or the first movie. Even Patrick Stewart hamming it up failed to register. Such a waste of a good cast.
ed

Post by ed »

Patrick Stewart???? oh ...
Anyway you might find this interesting. I don't.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katherinepickh ... hen-vs-now
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Maybe someone from Coldplay.
ed

Post by ed »

Or Pee Wee Herman.

Perfect
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Post by robinson »

I used to have one but I lost it
robinson

Post by robinson »

But hey, I enjoyed the fuck out of Lord of Light so I can’t be trusted
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ed wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:53 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:24 am I enjoyed Dune in the same way as TLOR: it's pure escapism. Now, if you want real SciFi, I've got a very long list...
TLOR (or LOTR in American) was not self righteously irritating.

Herbert made this thing and added elements that were sorta like in-jokes that weren't funny nor were they terribly creative nor did they add anything.

A glom jabber fer chrissakes. The first thing that the kid should have done afterwards is to have gotten the fat Chinese guy to cut her head off. I would have, you would have. And the names. Really "Duncan Idaho". My god.

And the fucking initial premise. A sophisticated Duke gets taken in and killed in the first 5 pages. Really? And did he pass his political sophistication on to his child?

BEHOLD!!!! I can write a 1,257 page book!!!

God, I hate aluminum.
That's a bullshit critique, you can do better.

History is littered with sophisticated leaders getting killed or worse. Look what happened to that Caesar guy.
ed

Post by ed »

It is an excellent critique. Beyond excellent, actually. Transcendent more like.

These people live with treachery. It is in their DNA. And a super senior guy is fooled???? That would be like a person of Biden's experience screwing up an international agreement and pissing off one of our oldest allies ... oh ... wait. Forget that ... it would be like Biden screwing up withdrawal from a country where there is no time pressure and leaving billions of dollars worth of equipment for our sworn enemies .. ummm ... wait ... scratch that ... it would be like a shoo in candidate telling parents that they have no say in their kids education ...

Hmmmm ... maybe you have a point.
robinson

Post by robinson »

https://harbingergames.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

All the treachery and scheming by the Emperor and Harkonnens were in the end the tools of their demise.
ed

Post by ed »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 pm All the treachery and scheming by the Emperor and Harkonnens were in the end the tools of their demise.
How Calvinistic.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

It's more of a Greek tragedy.
ed

Post by ed »

No greek T was 3,000 pages
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ed wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:33 pm No greek T was 3,000 pages
Survival bias
ed

Post by ed »

Huh?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ed wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 pmHuh?
Longer works didn't make it.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am
Nyarlathotep wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:28 am Since summer I have been reading the Dune series. The original six Frank Herbert novels, plus the two sequels written by his son. FINALLY finished the last one today (Sandworms of Dune).
I note that soon after finishing this series of "books", Nyarl started acting erratically, behavior that culminated in his disappearance which pre-dated the release of the movie by mere weeks.

Draw your own conclusions.
Amazes me that people with whom I have not interacted in months will still go out of their way to slung shit at me.

Die in a fire, fucker
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

lol
robinson

Post by robinson »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 pm I thought they were “meh”. No worse than the last couple of original books, but that’s a low bar.
nec deus intersit, nisi dignus uindice nodus inciderit; nec quarta loqui persona laboret
robinson

Post by robinson »

I will admit I did not read the last Dune book

And never will
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Chapter house or his son's fan fiction?
robinson

Post by robinson »

The sons

I love Chapterhouse
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Sometimes I wonder if your takes are randomly generated.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The sci-fi channel version was pretty damn good
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

robinson wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:58 pm The sci-fi channel version was pretty damn good
Agreed.
Giz

Post by Giz »

The original dune book was ok. I tried reading on a couple more and they were dire.

The problem was that each new meddling faction that got introduced was incredibly powerful and would be blatantly unstable politically. There literally could not have been the stable organizations/societies shown in the world building if such beings existed.

It was ridiculous (and I say that as someone who has a fondness for warhammer 40K which is ridiculousness dialed up to 11 and yet appears plausible compared to the Dune universe)

Ps - I liked the lynch film. Hadn’t heard of the sci-fi special. Will probably watch the new one at some point.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Wait for the next one or two to come out before you partake. It’ll just make more sense if you binge them.
ed

Post by ed »

Went back to it last night. I picked up at the part where the kid that cant act and the chick who is presumably his mother are escaping from the absurd loss of their stronghold to the troops of the bad guy that bathes in poop (yes!!! saw is about 10 min in).

Do you know that machinery that requires physical movement to work is a problem in a sandy environment like Arrikis? Of course you know that. No one on Arrikis does however.

Dunkin Phife, the bodyguard guy, slips out from a protected room to fight the bad guys. He gets stabbed and falls and the bad guys turn their backs to him to continue beating on a closed door. He gets up and yells, thus politely informing them that he is attacking. They, of course, turn around, gang up on him and stab him some more. BTW someone there should invent something that propels a small solid object at very high velocities due to some sort of violent chemical reaction. Could make a mint.

That kid really cannot act worth a damn. Amazing.

Anyway, the really stupid mosquito thing crashes and they look at sand all around them. The kid blathered some lines.

My Daughter arrived, turned it off. Got another 15 minutes under my belt.

Did you lot actually watch this thing thru at one sitting?
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:25 am BTW someone there should invent something that propels a small solid object at very high velocities due to some sort of violent chemical reaction. Could make a mint.
Always narked me that none of the factions in GoT thought to import gunpowder from Yi Ti at any point.

Carry on.
ed

Post by ed »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:30 pm Anyway, any remake not containing an English pop star that is a shittier actor that Keanu Reeves (just) is not worth my time.
BTW ... we invented KR so that you lot would always have someone to look down upon.

You are welcome.
ed

Post by ed »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 pm All the treachery and scheming by the Emperor and Harkonnens were in the end the tools of their demise.
https://i.imgur.com/DpDNKvi.jpg
Giz

Post by Giz »

ed wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 pm
https://i.imgur.com/DpDNKvi.jpg
Treachery and a million fremen.

As Al Harkonen once said, a kind word and a deux et machina army of fanatics will get you further than a kind word alone.
ed

Post by ed »

OK. Time for a bit of a reality check.

You have one of the most inhospitable landmasses that exists anywhere. Vast desert, giant worms fer chrissakes. Nothing grows. No animals.

And this vasty nothingness* supports a million HEALTHY fighting people? Really? Let's just look at some analogs:

Sahara desert: 617,000 Seriously I ask you ... can you imagine recruiting someone who lives there?

Kalahari Desert: The "San" people. Unknown number. The dead refuse to be counted. Skinny people who forage on camel droppings.

So we are supposed to believe that a vast army is going to arise from a worm dodging population that subsists on grubs? Really?

^: Thank you Kaylee for this evocative turn of phrase
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

ed, if Dune doesn't suit, try Herbert's Hellstrom's Hive. It's a little dated but remains one of my favourite novels. No psi powers involved and it's at least partially credible.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Is Ben Gazara involved?

– J.D.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Denis Villeneuve Will Direct Film Adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke’s Sci-Fi Novel RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA