Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This is why we cannot have nice things. Fucking sociopath.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

https://i.imgur.com/3DyIViW.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/EMb4fTn.jpg
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 pmi.imgur.com/3DyIViW.jpg
Nice one!

(Cruises are dirt cheap right now if you feel like taking one)

Air travel has almost reached the point of airlines paying you travel.

Air NZ is selling Auckland - Wellington domestic fares for $9 today. Full ticket price is $350.

Nobody wan' go on da big sliver bird.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Witness wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:27 am https://i.imgur.com/EMb4fTn.jpg
I love the guy in the back who appears to be about to face-palm.

"Holy fuck, not this prayer bullshit again!"
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm Meanwhile in Iran ...
I do like the way Iran shows no serious cases in their official statistics.

I suspect that's because all of the living cases they show are serious and nobody else has been tested.

It's all somewhat irrelevant now, because every country except South Korea has dropped the ball and we're in for a hell of a nasty ride for the rest of this year. NZ is about to answer the question "Does covid-19 pass on as easily in summer?" thanks to typically and appalling inept management, so stand by on that.

The shit is about to hit the fan in enormous numbers worldwide over the next fortnight.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Licking Holy shrines...

Good. Cull the herd of Dumbth.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Even better, now that Frankie has been confirmed as having covid-19, how many people did he infect at Ash Wednesday Mass?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/pope-sick ... audiences/

God loves viruses too!
Witness

Post by Witness »

The Atheist wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:11 pm now that Frankie has been confirmed as having covid-19
Hmmm… :notsure:

Did he lick some yummy relics?

But no worry, there is an infallible cure:
Applying essential oil to anus 'cures coronavirus': Iranian cleric

A local cleric from the Iranian city of Qom has suggested a novel cure for the new coronavirus - the pre-bedtime rectal administration of violet leaf oil.

Users on Twitter describe how the Ayatollah Tabrizian has publicly denounced Western medicine as "un-Islamic".

In a post to over 120,000 followers on the social messaging service Telegram, Tabrizian, a purveyor of traditional Islam medicine, listed several alternative techniques for fighting the spread of the contagious disease, known as Covid-19.

According to an Iranian news site, which obtained a screenshot of the message, Tabrizian recommends consuming copious amounts of brown sugar, burning wild rue, as well as inhaling snuff.

His eighth tip is the most striking: "Before bedtime, drench some cotton in violet oil and apply onto your anus"

Ayatollah Tabrizian has written extensively on the essential oil, which he claims has miraculous, life-enhancing properties, such as the power to increase brain mass and reverse cognitive diseases such as Down's Syndrome.

He cites a tradition attributed to a 12th century Persian scholar, who described the remedy as an effective treatment for rhinitis, or throat mucus, if it was "the will of God".

Tabrizaei has called for more research into the oil, and believes its true potential remains untapped.

Qom, the city from which he hails, attracts millions of pilgrims every year and is home to a seminary which hosts large numbers of foreign religious students.

The holy city is now a hotbed of coronavirus in Iran.
https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/ ... ian-cleric
Witness

Post by Witness »

The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain
  • The Trump administration has barred Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), from speaking publicly about the novel coronavirus without approval, according to The New York Times.
  • Fauci is one of the top experts in the US on infectious diseases, and his sober public messages have contrasted with President Donald Trump's optimistic claims about the impact of the illness.
  • An NIAID spokesperson told Business Insider the claim in the Times report is "not true."
  • Experts have criticized the Trump administration for effectively muzzling Fauci with the US facing its most serious public-health crisis in years.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ion-2020-2
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Well, it will make itself plain enough all on its own.

Note his own employer denies the claim. NYT/NY Post - doesn't seem a lot of difference these days.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ And this:
Coronavirus: Iran frees 54,000 prisoners to halt growing outbreak

Iran has temporarily freed more than 54,000 prisoners to help combat the spread of the coronavirus in packed jails.
Judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili said the inmates were granted furlough after testing negative for the virus and posting bail., reports the BBC.
But 'security prisoners' sentenced to more than five years will not be let out.
Iran's supreme leader has also ordered the military to assist health officials in fighting the virus, which authorities said has killed 77 people.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavi ... 61dd69d4c6
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

East Asian student assaulted in 'racist' coronavirus attack in London
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 pm Putin says fake coronavirus news reports being sent to Russia to spread panic (Reuters)
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that fake news reports about coronavirus were being sent to Russia from abroad to spread panic.

He urged the government to ensure that citizens were correctly informed about the situation in Russia.
That is the entire Reuters story, not an excerpt.
Fair's fair - there's a lot of evidence that Russian trolls are spreading misinformation.

At this stage of the outbreak, it's easy, because facts are light on the ground.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Oh yes, please, let them bathe in the broth. :twisted:

The CDC reports there are now 129 coronavirus cases in the US
  • The numbers include 80 U.S. cases and 49 from citizens repatriated from Wuhan, China, and the Diamond Princess cruise ship.
  • At least 16 cases were the result of person-to-person transmission.
  • At least 10 have died in Washington State and one in California.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... -in-the-us
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ It's a fragile symbol that which loses crumbs.

As for the hygiene, just replace the wine with bleach. :twisted:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

If you believe the numbers in the WHO situation reports, fewer new cases are being reported in China than a couple of weeks ago, and more are being reported outside China. The number of cases reported outside China rose from 6009 confirmed on the last day of February to 12,668 confirmed (2103 new) on March 4th, 4 days later.

As far as the Chinese numbers, I don't know if the spread of the infection is truly slowing down or if they are just reporting numbers that make it appear that way.

Anyone else following these?

You can read them all right here:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... on-reports

New one released daily.

For USA folks, there were 44 new cases reported in the last 24 hours. Lots of new cases in Korea and Italy too.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

But for this thread, this link would otherwise go in the award winning Thought Provoking Graphs thread.

Ya gotta click the link
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

Looks bad but compare and contrast with the flu.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flu+dea ... KYR8MSpykM

I really wanna be a gloom and doom believer but my knee just don't jerk that way.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/ ... march-2020

Good news/bad news

"COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza" (good news)
"COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza" (bad news)

Plus nobody has immunity.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:43 am Plus nobody has immunity.
That'll fix itself.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:26 am If you believe the numbers in the WHO situation reports, fewer new cases are being reported in China than a couple of weeks ago, and more are being reported outside China. The number of cases reported outside China rose from 6009 confirmed on the last day of February to 12,668 confirmed (2103 new) on March 4th, 4 days later.

As far as the Chinese numbers, I don't know if the spread of the infection is truly slowing down or if they are just reporting numbers that make it appear that way.
Never mind China - which isn't counting mild cases, the WHO is full of shit.

The disease is now known to have been in USA for six weeks, and the same is true of many other places. Both Iran & Italy are thousands short in the actual case total.

Just watch the data from South Korea - they're doing a remarkable job and we'll get lots of good info from them.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Swiss army under effective quarantine after soldier catches COVID-19

It announced [in French] personnel would be banned from leaving military bases across the country in a bid to contain the disease.

Switzerland has compulsory military service and a high percentage of its army is made up of conscripts.

As part of this conscription system, soldiers have to take annual refresher courses, which last several days.

The soldier tested positive as he began a refresher course on Monday, the Swiss Army said in a statement. During checks, he revealed that he had recently been to Milan and military chiefs decided to test him.

The army said his condition was stable and that the three people in his room have been quarantined. The other soldiers who were in contact with the infected patient were placed in temporary quarantine overnight.

Other troops can still leave army buildings, but not the military sites themselves, a Swiss army spokesman told AFP.
https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/03/swi ... s-covid-19

Even the Swiss Army! :P
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Can't they cut it out with one of their knives?

I'm sure one of the 152 attachments must be good for it.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ You mean the Universal Virus Punch™?
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://i.imgur.com/su0LU15.jpg
Witness

Post by Witness »

The U.S. has the world's highest coronavirus death rate at more than 5% - a number that reflects the country's lack of testing
  • The US has the world's highest death rate for the new coronavirus at 5.4%, compared to a global average of 3.4%.
  • That's likely because the CDC has focused on testing the most severe cases.
  • New testing standards and more widely available test kits could pick up more mild cases in the U.S. and lower the death rate.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/0 ... /23941708/
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Our bosses are now restricting all non-essential travel, and essential travel has to be approved. Anyone arriving from Asia and Italy (prejudiced against the Italians!) has to stay home for 14 days, sick or not sick. If I had a family member arriving home from those areas, I'd have to stay home for 14 days, although I'd make it 17 days to comply with forum policy.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 am Anyone arriving from Asia and Italy (prejudiced against the Italians!) has to stay home for 14 days, sick or not sick. If I had a family member arriving home from those areas, I'd have to stay home for 14 days,
I would invent a brother living in china coming to visit us this week. I would also invent sniffles for him.

I'm sure it's nothing.
although I'd make it 17 days to comply with forum policy.
okay I don't get that.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

"17 days" is an SC thing that derives from the time Claus Larsen discovered that 17 days had elapsed between the time a forum software update was released and the time when Skeptica applied the update. "17 days!!" he yelped.

From the River etc.:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366&p=116408&hilit=17+days#p116408

Wow...March 16, 2022 will be the 17th anniversary of 17 days. Cools.

Regarding "stay home", I'd have to work remotely over my 56k dialup modem.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:45 am "17 days" is an SC thing that derives from the time Claus Larsen discovered that 17 days had elapsed between the time a forum software update was released and the time when Skeptica applied the update. "17 days!!" he yelped.
I never saw that thread. That's weird. I hand to thank Dx this many years later.
Regarding "stay home", I'd have to work remotely over my 56k dialup modem.
Naked.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

TRUMP SAYS THOSE ON GRAND PRINCESS CRUISE SHIP SHOULD STAY ON BOAT SO U.S. CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS DON'T GO UP
"I have great people," Trump said, "experts including our vice president who is working 24 hours a day on this stuff. They would like to have the people come off. I'd rather have the people stay but I'll go with them. I told them to make the final decision."

"I would rather because I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault," Trump continued.
It's like he thinks the "numbers" matter more that the lives of those people on that ship, some of whom presumably haven't been infected yet. But the longer they stay on that ship.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... vid-2020-3
Airlines have wasted thousands of gallons of fuel running empty "ghost" flights during the coronavirus outbreak because of European rules saying operators can lose their flight slots if they keep their planes on the ground.

Demand for flights has collapsed across the globe amid growing fears about the outbreak.

Under Europe's rules, airlines operating out of the continent must continue to run 80% of their allocated slots or risk losing them to a competitor.

This has led to some operators flying empty planes into and out of European countries at huge costs, The Times of London reported.

On Thursday, UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps wrote to Airport Coordination Limited asking for the rules to be suspended during the outbreak to prevent further environmental and economic damage.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I think there may be some self-clearing mobs here or there, and I think there may be some trolls taking photos of empty shelves that were empty for some other reason.

No such panic buying here in Cleveland. We're used to zombie apocalypse conditions.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco- ... nic-2020-3
Costco is no longer serving free food samples at some of its stores around the world as a hygiene measure against the novel coronavirus.

Reports of this first surfaced on Reddit on Thursday. One Reddit user, whose spouse works as a manager at a Costco store on the West Coast told Business Insider that his spouse was told by the warehouse manager that they would be suspending the production demonstrations until further notice.
Now we know it's serious.

:freedom:
Witness

Post by Witness »

There is – alleged :mrgreen: – toilet paper panic buying in Autralia:

https://i.imgur.com/shARaAI.jpg