Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

We are the Borg.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Surely, Captain Trips is upon us. Panic is the best course of action. We are all going to die.

I wish I wasn't being sarcastic. We could use a good cleansing dose of Captain Trips/Andromeda Strain/Ebolaids/Whatever
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am Surely, Captain Trips is upon us. Panic is the best course of action. We are all going to die.
Not all, but if there is a worldwide pandemic it's likely to kill 5-10% of people over 65 who get it. Lucky none of those here.
Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 amI wish I wasn't being sarcastic. We could use a good cleansing dose of Captain Trips/Andromeda Strain/Ebolaids/Whatever
I'd vote for reducing the birth rate to start off.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

The Atheist wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 pmThen there's the factor that we still don't have a vaccine for SARS or MERS, . . .
We have vaccines for one:
A SARS vaccine was developed in response to the 2002 outbreak, but was never sold since public health measures got the disease under control before it was ready.

Discover Magazine
and MERS has passed Phase One Trials.

Yet I am poor.

– J.D.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Doctor X wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 am We have vaccines for one:
That's encouraging. I'd still be highly surprised if there's a vaccine for n-CoV this year.

The best hope for not having a worldwide pandemic of biblical proportions is for the virus to lose virulence, and the results outside China are a little encouraging on that score, with only 3% severe cases against China's 16%, and I think all of the deaths so far contracted it in China, near the epicentre.

Still needs another week - 10 days as it appears to increase in severity after that kind of time frame.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The Atheist wrote:
I'd vote for reducing the birth rate to start off.

I don’t think you are grasping what I want to see happen
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

IIRC, Captain Trips was 99% infectious and everybody who got it died.

Now that's what I call a pandemic. :)
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Official name for the virus from the World Health Organization is now COVID-19

(COrona VIrus Disease with year of origin)
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

If it only had a constantly shifting antigen....
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

sparks wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:47 pm If it only had a constantly shifting antigen....
Just wait until it hits India the same way it hit China - a country with minimal health infrastructure, a shocking record of using inappropriate drugs, contaminated water, absurdly insanitary conditions and over a billion people to play with. Dumping Covid-19 into India is like tipping a plateful of germs into the original primordial soup.

If ever there were a chance of Captain Trips, India will be where it comes from. Coronaviruses do mutate pretty readily, so it's going to have all the chances it wants.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Post by robinson »

The Atheist wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm Just wait until it hits India the same way it hit China - a country with minimal health infrastructure, a shocking record of using inappropriate drugs, contaminated water, absurdly insanitary conditions and over a billion people to play with. Dumping Covid-19 into India is like tipping a plateful of germs into the original primordial soup.
The global alarmists are already slavering over the thought of a billion people dead. Think of the carbon footprint reduction!

After the bodies are done burning
sparks

Post by sparks »

Don't burn 'em. Bury 'em. Sequester that carbon in the good Earth under gardens and such. :)
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

robinson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pm The global alarmists are already slavering over the thought of a billion people dead. Think of the carbon footprint reduction!
I am hoping it it's more like 7.5 billion. And I don't give a shit about the carbon footprint reduction
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

robinson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pmThe global alarmists are already slavering over the thought of a billion people dead. Think of the carbon footprint reduction!
Yeah, that's just stupid.

Even a worst-case scenario would be 75,000,000. 2% death rate with half the population getting a dose is about as bad as it could be.

Interesting and encouraging that nobody who caught it outside China has croaked yet. If that holds, we'll be able to say for sure that primary infections were much worse.

Still waiting at the moment.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

ceptimus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm Cruise ship cabins are a very stupid way of isolating people. The ventilation system usually flows air into the cabin at one end of a row, and that same air then passes through all the other cabins in the same row before exiting. Anyone in a cabin downstream of an infected cabin gets wafted with the virus. The food for all the isolated people is prepared and delivered to the cabins by the same team, so if one of that team is infected that's another method of spreading the virus.

Regardless, it's becoming more clear that what I've feared and posted about over the last few weeks is fast becoming a reality. The virus continues to spread regardless of all the efforts to contain it. Pretty soon, further quarantine and isolation measures will become futile - and then your only defenses will be good hygiene and blind luck.
Wow.

I think the cruise industry may be headed for tough times. There's also this case:

Cruise ship refused entry by fifth port due to coronavirus fears
A Holland America Line cruise ship on Tuesday was refused entry to Thailand over fears of coronavirus. This is the fifth port to deny the ship to dock despite no cases of the virus having been confirmed on board the ship.
Rob Lister wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:57 pm I foresee a vaccine within two months.
Who needs a vaccine? There's cow urine!
India's Leaders Claim Drinking Cow Urine Will Cure the Coronavirus
sparks

Post by sparks »

" This is the fifth port to deny the ship to dock despite no cases of the virus having been confirmed on board the ship."

Must be a different ship than the one anchored near Japan where 174 cases have been confirmed.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

It's a different ship entirely. Cambodia's letting them in, apparently.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yeah, I don't really understand it. Maybe there was a rumor or maybe people don't understand that it's a different cruise ship.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh yeah, the latest news:

Coronavirus: Sharp increase in deaths and cases in Hubei
Some 242 deaths from the new coronavirus were recorded in the Chinese province of Hubei on Wednesday - the deadliest day of the outbreak.

There was also a huge increase in the number of cases, with 14,840 people diagnosed with the virus.

Hubei has started using a broader definition to diagnose people - which accounts for most of the rise in cases.

Until Wednesday's increases, the number of people diagnosed in Hubei - where the outbreak emerged - was stabilising.

But the new cases and deaths in the province have pushed the national death toll above 1,350 - with almost 60,000 infections in total.

Meanwhile, the Communist Party secretary in Hubei, Jiang Chaoliang, has been replaced by the Shanghai party chief, Ying Yong, according to state media. The party chief of the capital city Wuhan has also been relieved of his duties.

It is the first major change of Hubei party officials since the outbreak began.

Earlier this week, a number of health officials were "removed" from their jobs.
Sounds ominous when you put "removed" in quotes like that. :notsure:

I hope Ying Yong knows what he's doing and it's not just a game of musical chairs.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

They are just going to school.

For "reëducation."

– J.D.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

1350 deaths in 60,000 known cases is 2.25%. I'm guessing maybe 1 in 10 are officially diagnosed.

To high, low?

So maybe somewhere closer to .22% death rate if you actually catch it. More scare than fair.

I ain't sayin' much ado 'bout nothin', but certainly a little too much ado about not much.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

There's probably some cases that aren't being counted in the official statistics of course, but there may also be some deaths that aren't getting counted either. So it's hard to really know and I would defer to others to guess how many of each there might be.

Probably at least 5 or 10 for each known infection. Maybe 2 deaths for each known death. But I pulled those numbers out of my ass.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 pm 1350 deaths in 60,000 known cases is 2.25%. I'm guessing maybe 1 in 10 are officially diagnosed.

To high, low?

So maybe somewhere closer to .22% death rate if you actually catch it. More scare than fair.

I ain't sayin' much ado 'bout nothin', but certainly a little too much ado about not much.
From knowing that you're ill with COVID-19 to dying (or getting better) takes two to three weeks. So to get the death rate you should compute deaths now with the number of known cases two or three weeks ago.

Most sources put the death rate higher than 2.25%, but everyone agrees that more data is needed for an accurate figure - even if the the virus doesn't mutate to become more or less deadly.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:05 pm 1350 deaths in 60,000 known cases is 2.25%. I'm guessing maybe 1 in 10 are officially diagnosed.

To high, low?

Not quite.

I'm completely on board with a mortality rate of around 0.2%, because there are at least ten times as many cases that haven't been counted - the vast majority of people aren't sick enough to think they have it, and only the moderate -> severe cases are in the count.

Even at 0.2% mortality, the virus will be a huge problem; year after year, hospitals struggle to cope with influenza influx, and that's with 75% of people either immune or vaccinated. With Covid-19, nobody is immune, so the caseload will be far worse than usual, and they'll all likely happen at once. Add to that none of the medical staff being immune, so lots of them will get sick.

It's not as bad as it could be, but it's still going to be a major drama around the world.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-mili ... ons-2020-2

The US military has set up 15 coronavirus quarantine camps on its bases, and 600 citizens are still isolated there
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Pyrrho wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:46 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/us-mili ... ons-2020-2

The US military has set up 15 coronavirus quarantine camps on its bases, and 600 citizens are still isolated there
Yee-haa!

I just can't wait until they try to quarantine some lunatic Second Amendment People. Sorry, I just realised the word "lunatic"is redundant in that sentence.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Update:

1 - it's spreading and won't be stopped now.
2 - health systems will break right across the world.
3 - 60-90 million people will die, almost all of them over 60. - Edit - halve that to 30-45 million when I re-checked the maths I'd forgotten to divide by 2.
4 - will not be available in 2020.
5 - the global economy is going to take a hit that will make the GFC look like a technical correction.
6 - the only good news: almost zero children will die from it.
Last edited by The Atheist on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

The Atheist wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:44 pm Update:

1 - it's spreading and won't be stopped now.
2 - health systems will break right across the world.
3 - 60-90 million people will die, almost all of them over 60. - Edit - halve that to 30-45 million when I re-checked the maths I'd forgotten to divide by 2.
4 - will not be available in 2020.
5 - the global economy is going to take a hit that will make the GFC look like a technical correction.
6 - the only good news: almost zero children will die from it.
Interesting. If true and it happens here we could be looking at a Bernie in the near future.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 pm Why will almost zero children die?
That's a fucking good question, and right now, nobody has a clue. Kids just don't get it, or get such a mild version they throw it off without ever needing a doctor.

The thinking is to do with residual immunity from the mother, but with a novel virus, that seems illogical to me, and I also doubt immunity being conferred for 10-15 years, and kids are just not featuring anywhere. No deaths, not even a severe case that I can find.

I'd guess quite a few doctors would love to know why and are probably trying very hard to find out - there's a billion dollars waiting if you can find it and develop a drug to use the effect in adults.

Infant blood shares went through the roof.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

ed wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 pm Interesting. If true and it happens here we could be looking at a Bernie in the near future.
As long as it doesn't kill him! He's in the second-worst group, with an 8% death rate.

If the rates hold true, and I see no reason they won't with no drugs available that are known to work, it's going to fuck your US gerontocracy a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ge-problem

Trump must be well in the hunt for death, too, being the not healthiest person you'll meet.

What keeps surprising me is how slowly people are catching on to what's going to happen.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

The Atheist wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 pm What keeps surprising me is how slowly people are catching on to what's going to happen.
They're still in denial. The virus is also likely present in the Nile valley now - one of the many regions where it will spread and be impossible to contain.

China's draconian measures (if you believe the figures) have slowed the transmission - but only by shutting down entire cities and stopping people going to work, or assembling together in eating places, sports venues, or places of worship. Which other countries are likely to try to enforce such measures? Even if they try, will they succeed?

It's less than three weeks since this thread was begun, and look how far the virus has spread already.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Analysis: Coronavirus has temporarily reduced China’s CO2 emissions by a quarter

As China battles one of the most serious virus epidemics of the century, the impacts on the country’s energy demand and emissions are only beginning to be felt.

Electricity demand and industrial output remain far below their usual levels across a range of indicators, many of which are at their lowest two-week average in several years. These include:
  • Coal use at power stations reporting daily data at a four-year low.
  • Oil refinery operating rates in Shandong province at the lowest level since 2015.
  • Output of key steel product lines at the lowest level for five years.
  • Levels of NO2 air pollution over China down 36% on the same period last year.
  • Domestic flights are down up to 70% compared to last month.
All told, the measures to contain coronavirus have resulted in reductions of 15% to 40% in output across key industrial sectors. This is likely to have wiped out a quarter or more of the country’s CO2 emissions over the past two weeks, the period when activity would normally have resumed after the Chinese new-year holiday. (See methodology below.)

Over the same period in 2019, China released around 400m tonnes of CO2 (MtCO2), meaning the virus could have cut global emissions by 100MtCO2 to date. The key question is whether the impacts are sustained, or if they will be offset – or even reversed – by the government response to the crisis.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-co ... -a-quarter
sparks

Post by sparks »

The economic collapse begins. :)
ed

Post by ed »

Is it time to pull the drawbridge in or up or whatever?
sparks

Post by sparks »

Too late. It's already here in the States. Folks released off of that cruise ship came back home and have tested positive. I assume they're being quarantined somewhere...
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

ceptimus wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 pm They're still in denial.
That seems to be the case, and that's really fucking dumb, because it's not going away and denial is just going to add to the death toll and the havoc it will cause.

If I were running my country right now, I'd have shut the border two days ago.
sparks wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:14 am The economic collapse begins. :)
Mate, if you have any cash at all, get some contracts going on a world share collapse first thing Monday morning. They will go down a minimum of 10%, and almost certainly a lot more.

In fact, I can't see any way it's going to not drop below the 1-year low, which is almost 20% lower than right now.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Post by robinson »

Witness wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:55 am
Over the same period in 2019, China released around 400m tonnes of CO2 (MtCO2), meaning the virus could have cut global emissions by 100MtCO2 to date. The key question is whether the impacts are sustained, or if they will be offset – or even reversed – by the government response to the crisis.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-co ... -a-quarter
robinson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 pm The global alarmists are already slavering over the thought of a billion people dead. Think of the carbon footprint reduction!
Witness

Post by Witness »

Italy towns close down amid virus case clusters, 2 deaths

CODOGNO, Italy (AP) — A dozen towns in northern Italy effectively went into lockdown Saturday after the deaths of two people infected with the new virus from China and a growing cluster of cases with no direct links to the origin of the outbreak abroad.

The secondary contagions prompted local authorities in the Lombardy and Veneto regions to close schools, businesses and restaurants and to cancel sporting events and Masses. The mayor of Milan, Italy’s business capital and the regional capital of Lombardy, shuttered public offices.

A 78-year-old man infected with the virus died in Veneto. A post-mortem test performed on a 77-year-old woman in Lombardy came back positive, though it wasn’t clear if illness from the virus caused her death.

Hundreds of residents and workers who came into contact with 54 people who tested positive for the virus in Italy were put into isolation pending results of their tests. Civil protection crews set up a tent camp outside a closed hospital in Veneto to screen medical staff for the virus.

In the town of Codogno, where the first patient identified in the northern cluster was in critical condition, closed supermarkets, restaurants and shops made main street practically a ghost town. The few people out wore face masks, which were coveted items after selling out at pharmacies.

Lombardy government authorities said the region had 39 confirmed cases, all somehow traceable to the first one involving a man who hadn’t traveled to China. Ten towns in Lombardy received orders to suspend nonessential activities and services.

The Veneto region reported 12 people with the virus, including the 78-year-old man who died late Friday. Two of the region’s confirmed infections were in relatives of the man who died, Veneto regional president Luca Zaia said.

Zaia said Saturday that the contagion showed that the virus is transmitted like any flu and that trying to pinpoint a single source for the cases or to establish a link to China no longer were effective containment measures.

“You can get it from anyone,” he told reporters. “We can expect to have cases of patients who had no contact” with suspected carriers. While the virus isn’t particularly lethal, it can be for the elderly or people with existing conditions, he said.
https://apnews.com/cc5d1db9353b21297d987ef594f0facc

It's nearing. If you don't hear more from me…
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Lombardy government authorities said the region had 39 confirmed cases, all somehow traceable to the first one involving a man who hadn’t traveled to China. Ten towns in Lombardy received orders to suspend nonessential activities and services.

There it is, right there. Like the Iranians, these people have caught it from someone either asymptomatic, or very mild disease, which will be the vast majority.

You can be certain it will crop up everywhere from here on in.
ed

Post by ed »

Coronavirus Live Updates: South Korea’s Leader Raises Alert Level to Maximum
With more than 600 cases confirmed, President Moon Jae-in empowered the government to lock down cities and restrict travel. Iran also reported eight deaths from the virus.

RIGHT NOWThe number of confirmed cases in Italy has risen by 89, bringing the country’s total to 132.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/worl ... e=Homepage
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Doing a little maths says that Italy's short about 400 cases and Iran near enough to 1000 more than they're aware of.

Give it two weeks and the world will be knee-deep in corpses - this fucker's going to thin the older population out quite noticeably.