KOTOR2 (massive, massive spoilers)

Stump your fellow simians.
Aoidoi

KOTOR2 (massive, massive spoilers)

Post by Aoidoi »

Ok, so I finished KOTOR2, played through as a light side male sentinel/watchman. Some random thoughts...

[edited to add - skip this post if you're not done with the game or care about spoilers :)]

- Ok, ending just a tad open ended? Walking where? Apparently it's gonna be KOTOR3: Revan and The General Strike back.
- Kreia telling you what's gonna happen to everyone... meh. Kinda lame. Figured they'd put cutscenes in there, they did everywhere else.
- Random loot, ok but kinda goofy. Why the hell did I get 3 double bladed lightsabers before getting my first single?
- Handmaiden in undies, nice. But I've got to be sick, I had her running around in that dancer outfit for most of the game. :twisted:
- Myra/Hansharr thing was sort of lame. Especially when I beat him down by standing with 2 blasters toe to toe with a bunch of defensive gear on and took out the wookie with bloody big vibroblades. Looked silly.
- wtf was with the remote on the last planet? What was the point of that?
- Lots more character interaction good, but sometimes you think you found out something and go to ask and you get the stock responses... sometimes just felt clunky.
- Kreia annoyed the hell outta me.
- Cutscenes good, but sheesh... every time you get on the ship, every time you get off the ship, randomly while you're walking around...
- New force powers, pretty cool. Force enlightenment rocks.
- So, did I just talk the pain guy to death? Man, he gets dumped by his master and just goes all to pieces.
- Who knew Sith Lords could be faceless minions dispatched by the pair? Wusses.
- I think I had enemy sith use force powers on me maybe a total of a dozen times during the game. Almost the complete opposite of KOTOR. No idea why.

Dangling questions:
- Droid factory... was implied by HK-47 that you could find it... I never did.
- GOTO and the remote on the planet? wtf? GOTO takes out the remote, but then doesn't do anything?
- Is there a possible romance with Mira or the blind Sith? I figured I'd done more or less every option with the Handmaiden so maybe I closed other options off?
- Um, so fuel for Telos? I guess you can get some from the Hutt, but doesn't that seem sort of silly? You blow up a planet (and like that makes any sense from a physics/chemical perspective) and it's sort of like "whoops, ok"
- What was under that mask of the first sith lord guy (hunger)? I didn't ask Visas (sp?) when she looked.
- I left Atris alive, why did I have speech options that implied she died later on? Did those sith holocrons kill her (as implied in another speech option)? The whole Atris thing seemed disjointed... she sent Handmaiden with you (she does reveal her name at the end, I think Brianna or something), and is then betrayed by her going Jedi, I guess... but why'd she send her at all? They seemed to imply she was pissed at you for doing what she couldn't and going against the council, but her actions didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
- Starport Visa - gave one to republic guy, accidentally got stuck with one. Quest stuck around. Was there more to the republic guy and his mission?

PC version questions
- didn't seem to be able to target the 3 lightsabers at the end. No worries, just whacked her agedness directly.
- Managed to get stuck in that tomb on Korriban... ending didn't trigger right, no doors opened. Had to reload from beginning of planet :(
- some weird graphical glitches after cutscenes
- crashes to desktop on loading screens. Same prob I had with the original, still not sure why.
- Autosave seemed twitchy sometimes, not saving for a few hours despite repeated zoning.

Funny thing is, despite all the issues and whatnot, I still played through a 30 hr or so game in like 5 days... it was like crack. Even when I was annoyed with something, still had to keep going. (note, I am employed, so that was several very late nights with work the next day) :)

Started a female councilor (or whatever the mostly force power one is) and have been amused by some of the dialogue changes so far, but will probably take a few weeks to get through it again... hasn't been that different, and a lot of it is just catching the quests I accidentally blocked off the first time through (missed a few on telos, accidentally triggered a mess on Oneran before I could finish a couple, etc.)

... I'll probably add more as I think of it. As if this isn't enough of a weirdness.
Last edited by Aoidoi on Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

So I can bug you when I get stuck? I'm just leaving the fuel asteroid and on the way to Telos.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Sure. I got through it all, so I should be able to help. :)
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

So, is it as good as the first?

I played the first three times and enjoyed it. Only reason to not play it more is the amount of time it takes. I really liked some of the twists in playing the dark side (like having the wookie kill the little girl) although some of the games were not my speed (like the pod racing).

I've also picked up Mechassault 2 and really hate the final fight. It really is dumb and ruined the game for me. I don't play live so I think that game is getting junked. Hope the same doesn't happen to KOTOR 2.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

They made some improvements in gameplay that I liked, but it isn't nearly as tightly plotted as the first one. I don't think it's quite as good, but it was certainly a lot of fun.

I did quite like the mining station, the little holo-logs spread around were pretty interesting the first time through.

I do tend to avoid dark side stuff. Call me a wuss, but slaughtering innocent imaginary people doesn't really do much for me. I don't mind a bit of incidental mayhem, but out and out murder just not my thing, even in virtual worlds. :)
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Does it have the same amount of side quests as the first? I never did complete them all.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Didn't seem like as many side quests, but there were quite a few. I did miss some by accidentally setting off something that kept me from starting or finishing them. Structure is actually pretty similar to 1st game. Main quests and optional ones. "Bonus Quests" are actually marked in journal now.

I'm partially playing through again cause I know I missed a bunch of the quests.

Pod racing and pazaak are back as almost completely optional minigames, with improved graphics for pod racing, jumping for pod racing, and new yellow pazaak cards.
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Kids On The Orange Rail?

Klan Orgy Thursday On Road?

Knights Of The O-Ring?
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Hey. There's a spelling error in your FAQ.

Go fix it before butting into our conversation!

(Just kidding. Knights of the Old Republic II)
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Bearguin wrote:Hey. There's a spelling error in your FAQ.
The spelling and grammar errors are intentional and spell out a clue on how to win teh m!11!on!!
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Heh... I figured the thread would attract those who'd finished the game and wanted to discuss, but so far I've got 1 in progress (so I shouldn't mention the killer bunny in act 3), and 1 who's never heard of it.

This is why I'm not in marketing. :D
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

So, I was changing characters, dropping the handmaiden for a bit and bringing someone else along who needed her armor.

She looks pretty decent in her underwear ;) Not sure I want to try that with the old woman though. Maybe the blind girl.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Yeah, I had the Handmaiden in her skivvies for quite a while during my first game. If you spar with her it strips her down on it's own (which actually gave me the idea). Gameply tends to be easy enough and armor unnecessary enough that I've played through large sections of the game with the female party members in their undies. :lol:

The blind Sith and your character (if female) have sort of a unitard underwear thing without sleeves or pant legs. I think basically the same as the guys. Not terribly revealing or interesting. I don't think I've tried with Kreia, cause, well she annoys me and I usually left her out of the party anyway.

I found one little dialogue bit near the beginning where clothing was mentioned, but didn't get any comments through the rest of the game, course I usually had armor on. Maybe I should try running around the planets saving the universe in my underwear.

"I'm here to save you!"
"That's nice. Um, where are your pants?"

"No fair, he's got three lightsabers! Oh, wait..."
Marian

Re: KOTOR2 (massive, massive spoilers)

Post by Marian »

Just finished the game (PC version, played LS female)
Aoidoi wrote:Ok, so I finished KOTOR2, played through as a light side male sentinel/watchman. Some random thoughts...

[edited to add - skip this post if you're not done with the game or care about spoilers :)]

- Ok, ending just a tad open ended? Walking where? Apparently it's gonna be KOTOR3: Revan and The General Strike back.
Agree. Okay the concept of "Sith" being purely a belief system? Fine. However I felt all the rest basically implied that there's another galaxy (I don't *think* it's in the same galaxy) where instead of the Republic (or Empire) the Sith rule. Apparently the entire Sith beliefs are exported from there.

But that doesn't make a whole lot of fucking sense when they talk about balance in the galaxy in the entire SW genre. Whatever. *shrug*
- Kreia telling you what's gonna happen to everyone... meh. Kinda lame. Figured they'd put cutscenes in there, they did everywhere else.
Will be mentioning this often, the game was rushed to release. Which is why much shit ended up being WAY open ended, and no cutscenes for this. It also didn't have much of a point. Also the future is supposed to be extremely difficult to see, because it's always in motion (see any decent sci-fi on the problems of prescience). Sooo her predictions? Maybe true, maybe not. They can at least toss them aside later if it doesn't work out for KOTOR III. Also for someone who hated the Force so much they wanted it dead, she didn't seem too upset about losing. 0_o
- Random loot, ok but kinda goofy. Why the hell did I get 3 double bladed lightsabers before getting my first single?
Random loot was way too random. Plus I got a metric fuckton of nice shit at the very end...when it was completely fucking usless to me or my party. WooHoo. :P
- Handmaiden in undies, nice. But I've got to be sick, I had her running around in that dancer outfit for most of the game. :twisted:
Females don't get the handmaiden, we get the Disciple to join our party. So *I* got to wear the dress and dance for the Hutt. I still feel dirty. :oops:
- Myra/Hansharr thing was sort of lame. Especially when I beat him down by standing with 2 blasters toe to toe with a bunch of defensive gear on and took out the wookie with bloody big vibroblades. Looked silly.
Okay I loved the concept of Hanharr. He's an insane fucked up Wookie. So of COURSE the entire life debt concept would seem like slavery to him. I thought that was well done. What was NOT well done is at one point I ask what race Hanharr is. Like I don't know what a fucking wookie is. Dumber still? Mira didn't know when I asked her.

The final fight was stupid, and should have been a lot harder than it was. Hanharr was a pussy. Also I had Mira spare him because I made her into a Jedi, and killing him just wasn't the Jedi thing to do. She was also able to take him out extremely easy with a lightsaber.
- wtf was with the remote on the last planet? What was the point of that?
They REALLY should have spent 2 minutes explaining it. There's a gravity issue on the planet. A shadow generator would cause problems because at various points even the shadows would weigh so much...okay bad science. :P But still.

Also why exactly is Bao-Dur doing this again? At first he makes it sound like he's HELPING then he makes it sound like it's REVENGE. Make up your fooken mind. And then G0-T0 showing up...what the fuck was the point of that?

Plus...G0-T0 is there! How the hell did it work? Did the little remote that could take out G0-T0? C'mon :P

Plus they never really explained G0T0 which annoys me. My take? No one has ever seen him, and he constantly relies on data. He's a droid. I think he's a fucked up droid/computer/something like that. I kept waiting to find that out...but nada. Maybe on DS?
- Lots more character interaction good, but sometimes you think you found out something and go to ask and you get the stock responses... sometimes just felt clunky.
Heh, not to mention weird stat dialogue. Did you get high intelligence? If not you missed key dialogue points. You need high wisdom too. Plus various skills also give you dialogue options. (And charisma, etc) I hate that. I also hated looped conversations, where it leads to the same things in a circle. I also hated closers "Never mind, I don't care" what the fuck?
- Kreia annoyed the hell outta me.
I really liked her voice because it reminded me of MacGonnagal from Harry Potter. I also thought her philsophies were...interesting. I didn't agree with her at all though. And it was frustrating to gain influence for awhile. I actually got an influence hit at one point by telling her 'I don't trust YOU' (She said...ahhh you're learning! Bang influence)
- Cutscenes good, but sheesh... every time you get on the ship, every time you get off the ship, randomly while you're walking around...
I had the same bug I had with KOTOR, the bright level would readjust. So many cutscenes were very dark, and hard to see. Which sucks. :(
- New force powers, pretty cool. Force enlightenment rocks.
Additionally the ability to really focus on more than one area was great. I loved that too.
- So, did I just talk the pain guy to death? Man, he gets dumped by his master and just goes all to pieces.
Yep. Lame. He's held together by will. Each time you reduce his will, until finally he gives up. Plus if you're female, he thinks you're purdy. ;)

- Who knew Sith Lords could be faceless minions dispatched by the pair? Wusses.
Force Storm owns them all. Was pathetic how easily I mowed everyone down.
- I think I had enemy sith use force powers on me maybe a total of a dozen times during the game. Almost the complete opposite of KOTOR. No idea why.
Agree, was lame. Hardest force fight was Kreia. And what the fuck happened to our 'bond'?

Dangling questions:
- Droid factory... was implied by HK-47 that you could find it... I never did.
Didn't make it into the game for release. VERY lame.
- GOTO and the remote on the planet? wtf? GOTO takes out the remote, but then doesn't do anything?
VERY lame
- Is there a possible romance with Mira or the blind Sith? I figured I'd done more or less every option with the Handmaiden so maybe I closed other options off?
Not with Jedi. They can love, but it's always platonic. Or they can have sex without love. No sex + love or it's bad (See: Anakin)
- Um, so fuel for Telos? I guess you can get some from the Hutt, but doesn't that seem sort of silly? You blow up a planet (and like that makes any sense from a physics/chemical perspective) and it's sort of like "whoops, ok"
Worse yet, it's buggy. I get fuel from the Hutt, but I'm STILL harassed about Peragus. And I'm still told there's a fuel issue later. Grrr.
- What was under that mask of the first sith lord guy (hunger)? I didn't ask Visas (sp?) when she looked.
She says "Just a man" and is surprised/stunned.
- I left Atris alive, why did I have speech options that implied she died later on?
Same and same. Worse yet? Revan was female (because I played her as a female) and I told the game she was female, and half the time they called her 'him'. VERY annoying.
Did those sith holocrons kill her (as implied in another speech option)?
Yes, they started talking more shit when I left her, so I'd assume so. Also wasn't it funny that the Sith holocrons sound like German propaganda screaming?
The whole Atris thing seemed disjointed... she sent Handmaiden with you (she does reveal her name at the end, I think Brianna or something), and is then betrayed by her going Jedi, I guess... but why'd she send her at all? They seemed to imply she was pissed at you for doing what she couldn't and going against the council, but her actions didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
Well I didn't get a handmaiden because female players don't. I would asume it's because the Echani (ignore all the spelling errors please btw) are sworn to never become Jedi. What's more, they deaden themselves to the Force. Most can't feel it, and any who can, actively learn NOT to. So why would Atris ever expect her to become a Jedi?

- Starport Visa - gave one to republic guy, accidentally got stuck with one. Quest stuck around. Was there more to the republic guy and his mission?
4 other people. One dark side: A chick in the cantina who wants it. If you force persuade her she'll tell you it's to export explosives to kill innocent people or something nasty like that. DS if you give it to her, I'm sure. A mom and kids by where you enter, she's not telling you the whole story either. You find out the whole story with persuades, her husband tried to kill the bad guy General, and failed. He was shot when they came to arrerst him, and everything they owned was seized. She's on the streets now with her kids, and wants to get the hell off planet to make a new life for them and herself. A guy standing next to her mocks her, and others with their sob stories, and says he has no sad story to tell you. He wants visas to resell, and will pay you 2k credits. That's it. Then in the cantina there's a Captain who had his stolen, and they won't let him back on his ship. His ship is gonna have to leave soon, stranding him so he BEGS you for one.

I gave one to the republic guy as you did, and one to the mom and kids. Got LS faction for both decisions.
PC version questions
- didn't seem to be able to target the 3 lightsabers at the end. No worries, just whacked her agedness directly.
Me either, but when I cast Force Storm (lightning) they went down. I killed 2 sabers and then it was just a saber and Kreia when she 'died' with half health :P
- Managed to get stuck in that tomb on Korriban... ending didn't trigger right, no doors opened. Had to reload from beginning of planet :(
I didn't but I had other areas with problems, and some quest glitches. I was never able to rat out the guy on Telos because I didn't show the gun FIRST to Commander Ghenn. :(
- some weird graphical glitches after cutscenes
Had that too, and had massive problems on Dantoonie, the land of lag. I had to adjust my graphics (higher or lower, didn't matter) to 'reset' it, otherwise I'd be skipping and lagging, it was horrible.
- crashes to desktop on loading screens. Same prob I had with the original, still not sure why.
Only had one complete crash during the entire game. Go me!
- Autosave seemed twitchy sometimes, not saving for a few hours despite repeated zoning.
Yep, I never relied on it.

Additional things:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Korriban sucked. What the fuck, we never find out what the Jedi Master was really doing there. There was no real...point to it. Basically it was Find a Jedi Master and oh here's a nice tomb. And I understand you can't even USE the tomb unless you're master aligned either LS or DS. (Max'd out). Lucky me I was LS max.

Alignments:

These blew. I'd get alignment changes on characters, would SEE them change, then BAM...they'd revert to original alignment. Happened with Mira, Visas, Mandalore. SUPER SUPER annoying. Visas got LS mastery bonus, then 2 minutes later when I looked again it was gone. With no faction decisions being made during those 2 mins. Grrr.

Jedi Council of Suck

Okay, we all know Vrook is an asshole. He never liked you, that biases his thinking. But your old master is there. Hell the other two basically SAID they hadn't given you a chance before, and that was a HUGE mistake. That they should have examined you more closely....learned from it....blah blah blah

Then round two...they act AGAIN in haste. Oh yeah well we think you're gonna kill the Force. No, no, we've spent a couple minutes talking and yeah, we think so. So we're going to cut you off. No more Force for you.

Hmph. I thought this sucked. I felt there should have been much more justification on their part. I also feel that they should have told Vrook basically to STFU. Okay not the gay Jedi (The guy with the earring and purple lightsaber I choose to think of as gay. It's not derogatory, he just seems homosexual to me. I am strong in the Force power of gaydar, and he was gay.) because he admits he basically just wanted to take off because he felt what they did was wrong, so maybe now that he rejoins he feels bad about it. But c'mon HE FELT WHAT THEY DID TO YOU WAS WRONG. So did your master.

Made no sense.

There's also a major bug I hit when I had Kreia in the party. It showed her becoming literally two people. I thought originally this was part of the game lol. Anyway plays through the normal LS stuff, then I got to see the DS angle too, because the Kreia of my party shows up, all dead Jedis and she thinks *I* killed them, and we have a very dark side conversation. Was weird, so I replayed it with no one in a party with me, and it was normal (just her killing them and bailing).

There's other stuff, but that's all for now. I'll replay it dark side and try to build influence with HK, G0-T0 and see what Hanharr's like (you can get him instead of Mira I've heard if you're max DS when you hit that point in Nar Shaada.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Playing through again as a female, got Disciple in the party. I hate his guts. I mean, really, really dislike him. Voice, dialogue, mannerisms... starts to get tempting to go dark side on his ass :p

Conversation with Mira on men was absolutely priceless.

Maybe I just missed it, but didn't actually get any offers of more *ahem* non-Jedi bonding from the party. Could play with dialogues, but seemed to get the Jedi stuff more (maybe I just need to select the non-jedi options, heh). Mira has a rather bawdy Star Warsism, but that was the closest I got.

Might try doing the darkside thing just for fun. Frankly, aside from a couple of the characters who are interesting (basically just Atton and Handmaiden, the rest are annoying) I don't feel too bad about abusing the party this time through. Even that damn droid starts to get on your nerves after a while.

btw, what's up with the voice acting for Bao-Dur? Sounds like a Zen Buddhist who's stoned.

And yeah, I guess being rushed out the door would explain the plot issues... a bit more editing would have tightened the whole thing up.

btw, the only trouble I had with the fights the first time through was Atton's bar brawl (as it were).

also btw, I think Atton is what's missing from the first 3 movies. There's no "common guy" making smart ass comments about the whole thing. Han Solo was that guy in the first three, Atton in this one, and pretty much everyone in the original KOTOR got some digs in one way or another.

... and clearly I need to get out more. Cause I'm trying to play through the 2nd half of the game in a dancer outfit. Hey, if I'm gonna stare at some computer generated back for hours on end, might as well be one I enjoy looking at. :lol:

btw, did councilor into weapon master this time... weapon master feats are fun, if rather less effective than some of the earlier ones.

eta- another complaint about random loot... I break into a wealthy and corrupt Hutt's vault, and what do I find? A handful of credits, some stims, and some medpacs. Looks like his worst crime was smuggling pharmaceudicals in from Canada! :p
Marian

Post by Marian »

If you have a lightsaber before you break into the Hutt vault you'll get a 2nd lightsaber. (woo woo). I do Nar Shadda as my first planet after Telos (did another planet first time, had a fatal bug had to start over, was only 2 planets in anyway /shrug) because you can finish the saber before you leave there. I was also able to finish HK after there (I think).

I had a tough time with the fights on Dxun (with the Battle Circle) but I think it's because I play a consuler (sp?).
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

I think I got a second lightsaber for one of the quests on Nar Shadaa, don't recall one from the vault, but maybe.

I did Onderan first once, and Dantooine first this time. Dantooine seems a good choice.

Oh, and I had trouble with the battle circle as a sentinel, but since it was totally optional I just skipped it after a few tries. Was real close, but didn't bother to keep trying.

Pazaak not too hard this time through (with some exceptions), but the pod racing was really twitchy on my keyboard. I sort of ignored it, too.

One thing I did like about the chars that join you (if you haven't finished you might want to skip this part)... Mandalore was Canderous Ordo from the first game. Was mentioned so briefly I almost missed it, but was a nice little nod. Bastila also was mentioned in passing, though nothing regarding her fate. I guess she either went with Revan or got whacked. I guess the same applies with Luhaine and Jolee Bindo (who only appeared in an item name and description that I saw).
Marian

Post by Marian »

Yeah and did you catch the REALLY interesting reference to Mandalore when you complete the game LS and ask about everyone's fate?

It strongly implies that Bobo Vett was Mandalore. Kinda neat I thought.

I think the Mandalorians will be featured in the next game, since Kreia only spoke of their fate long term, not short term. Leaves it open for Mira and Atton to make appearances, but I don't think they'd be strongly featured in a sequel. The droids it's implied will be back, I liked both of them. Goto I assume will be back since there's a lot of mystery still there. Since Disciple becomes one of the heads of the Jedi Counsel I think seeing him in KOTOR2 is highly probable as an NPC.

I really don't know where they'd take KOTOR3 though. So far it's Revan...to the outer rim, then the General to the outer rim...if they do it a 3rd time that's just going to be incredibly stupid.

Unless KOTOR3 involves a journey to the outer rim to discover their fates or something. *shrug*

I'd really love to see additional content patches (like they did for xbox adding in the moon section) that adds in the HK factory quest, and tightens up a few loose plot ends. I won't hold my breath though. It's a shame it has a 'rushed out the door' feeling to it at the end, or it could have been 'as good' as KOTOR.
Marian

Post by Marian »

OH! Forgot to mention, I've heard from people who played DS the first time through, the ending there is TREMENDOUSLY shitty. Basically it's the same ending, but since you murder Kreia you don't get any glimpse into the future.

So basically it's: she dies, credits roll.

And DS people were pissed!
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Oh, that must be why Xplay said the ending was horrible. I was wondering. Seemed a bit blah, but they said the last 30 minutes were the biggest letdown ever, or something. Musta played Dark Side. Course, Morgan Webb seemed to really like the DS stuff. A little too much, really. ;)

I thought it implied Boba Fett was the heir to the Mandalorian legacy, not actually Mandalore. Some of the books mentioned his Mandalorian Armor, but said he wasn't Mandalorian cause they were extinct. Course, consistency is not really a strong point of the SW universe. And the books are non-canon (as I assume the games are) :)

ETA- wow... when you get the game mechanics down easy becomes an understatement in the 2nd half of the game. Upgrading weapons all the time and I'm crushing everyone while taking only an occassional hit. It's almost silly... cutscene of guy yapping, goes to "live" action, and he's down in the first flurry. At some point you'd think your reputation for slaughtering dozens of heavily armed soldiers would get around.

One of the Mandalorians "Not even a Jedi can take down an entire army."
Me "Actually, with master force barrier, master speed, and force wave, I think I probably could... might have to actually change out of this dancer outfit, though." :D

Oh, and yeah, Disciple's dialogue seems to set KOTOR3 up a lot more than anyone elses.

Duh moment for this time through... you can control the pod racind using the mouse. I'm wondering if that's why the keyboard was so twitchy, I might have been moving the mouse a bit without thinking about it. Maybe I'm a bonehead, but I don't think those were the default controls for KOTOR1
Marian

Post by Marian »

I did one pod race and blew off the others. I hate pod racing.

That's actually a huge kudos for them, they made pod racing, and pazaak (and the fight/duels) completely optional. You can finish the game without them. You can even 'win' the pazaak tourney on Nar Shaddaa without playing a single game of pazaak.

Though, I really like pazaak. :D I'd actually enjoy just playing that if there was a PC 'pazzak' game. There probably is somewhere, I'm sure some fanboi has coded it.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Ok, started playing through DS. And mean really, really DS. I've got Kreia complaining about my psychopathic tendencies. :lol:

Doing it mostly so I can use the DS powers and see the other conversation options. My current strategy is "choose the most ridiculous conversation option."
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

DOne twice. Both LS and DS.

Force Shock just rocks. Great for taking out a couple dozen Sith in a couple shots.

DS ending sucks big time. I thought the LS ending "what are they doing now" was bad but the DS "kill her roll the credits" was worse.

Managed to get the Handmaiden to go Jedi but I still like Kreia in the party with Jedi Support. She was annoying for dialoge but good for battle support. Except that she'd give you knight spped once the battle was over.

Jedi Fury or rage or whatever it was called was interesting but I'm not sure what it did. Aside from turning half the screen red.

Now to find something else to play.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Didn't get too far playing through DS. Whacked one Jedi Master by planting a bunch of mines and then leading him onto them, which seemed like the only way I could manage to take him down at my level (Dantooine first as DS maybe not such a good idea).

Kept trying to play it to find out more details, like in the first one where you can find out all sorts of interesting stuff that relates to the plot but isn't required by it... but it seemed like the more I learned the less it all came together.

So now I'm playing Katamari Damachi on my PS2 :D
lofgeornost

Post by lofgeornost »

Okay, you all have probably forgotten everything about this game, but I just finished playing it my first time and feel like babbling a bit.

Started like Aoidoi, LS male sentinel/watchman. Like an idiot I told Kreia I didn't want to know about the future at the end of the game, which made a pretty lame ending even worse. I forget what the LS ending of KOTOR was like, but the DS is pretty good - you're atop the temple, with a pathetically small collection of droids cheering from below; Bastilla, if you've turned her, is calling you Master; and there's a feeling of Revan prepping to go take the galaxy in his Dominator-gauntleted grasp.
KOTOR II: you just fly off in your ship.

I recognized Mandalore as Canderous immediately because of the voice. Then he starts screaming about the glory of clan Ordo everytime he's in battle, so that futher set his identity. Still, I wish at some point he'd removed the helmet and revealed himself - you find much better armor than his in the game; it would've been nice if he could wear it, especially since, with the TON of decent heavy armor I had, he was really the only character who could use it. I never advanced Bao-Dur from medium armor, and all the other characters had dexterity scores which made the heavy armor a hamper.

A very nice addition was that Jal Shey armor for Force users. I'd have liked to see some more variety in that, and less of the heavy stuff. Needed more variety in robes, too.

There was a holocron on Korriban which showed Bastilla, and a communication between the disciple and "Admiral" Carth Onasi which I nearly missed by blinking. I expected a little more to come of those, but didn't find anything.
I still think the way Carth just runs off behind some boulders in KOTOR, never to return, is one of the funnier exits I've encountered in an RPG.

Battles with Darths Sion, Maskface, and Kreia (or whatever name she goes by at the end) were pretty sad. Next time I'll fight just using kung fu. I think they all would've fainted if they saw Malak without his jawpiece.

More stuff to put in your lightsabers. Neat. It was also nice to take a while before getting the lightsaber. There were a slew of excellent melee weapons, and with so many of them being upgradeable (excellent addition) I found myself still frequently using them even after I had a lightsaber. There were also some cool pieces of equipment adding bonuses to unarmed combat. I didn't do that as much as I plan to next time I play.

GOTO, HK-47, Mira. Barely used them. In fact, I never leveled those two droids above nine, I believe.

HK-47 getting zapped by the R2 unit for trying to mess with the nav computer...that never went anywhere for me.

Handmaiden in undies and the dance outfit - definitely a plus. But she never went beyond anything but devotion to my character. Visas talked about love, but all she seemed to want was to meditate together - and turn blue, which was weird. Neither come close to Bastilla in the passions game.

Aoidoi played in five days? It took me five weeks, and one of those was vacation time. And it still made my eyes go bloodshot.

I beat one of the swoop races, but really, money for a LSer in this game was not nearly as difficult to come by as in KOTOR, so the racing is unnecessary. Pazaak I hated in the first game: in poker terms, the opponent was always on the button. They switched that around this time by randomizing who goes first. Plus, you could win some decent goods - the hammerhead on Dantooine ends up wagering a load of armor enhancements.

I agree with the criticisms of the Jedi Council and their actions on Dantooine. Poor game writing.

Lots more, but this is getting too long. With the exception of a short book I wrote about Shakespeare at JREF a few years ago, I think this is longest post I've made. I'm used to single words, like check and fold.