The Covid vaccines really do work

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Re: The Covid vaccines really do work

Post by Anaxagoras »

Would you be skeptical if I told you that there was a vaccine available from the very beginning of the pandemic that offered significant protection against COVID-19, that a single dose of this vaccine costs less than a bottle of soda pop, and that the vaccine also protects against many other infectious diseases including upper respiratory tract infections, leprosy, malaria, viral, and bacterial infections?

Of course you would be skeptical, and rightly so. But could it be true? It sounds a little too good to be true.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medic ... 0271-3.pdf
INTRODUCTION
The BCG vaccine is a >100-year old vaccine originally developed for tuberculosis protection. It is heralded as the safest vaccine ever developed, with 3-4 billion people already vaccinated and an annual 120 million newborns vaccinated 1. It is highly affordable at about 10-75 cents/dose. Over the last 17 years, randomized clinical trials and epidemiology studies have shown that the BCG vaccine protects humans from a multitude of infections, including upper respiratory tract infections, leprosy, malaria, viral, and bacterial infections 2-16. The first indication of the broad infectious disease protective abilities of this vaccine came 100 years ago when Albert Calmette, the vaccine’s co-inventor, noted a four-fold decline in child mortality (unrelated to tuberculosis) in vaccinated children, presumably from broad infectious disease protection 17. These protective effects appear also when adolescents are re-vaccinated with BCG after the typical newborn dose 10. The BCG vaccine may also protect humans from immune diseases such as type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis 18-21. The mechanisms behind these wide-ranging benefits are a topic of active scientific discovery.
Anyway, this trial had 155 subjects and it found a 92% efficacy against COVID-19 for the BCG vaccine vs. placebo.

:notsure:

By the way, there's a map (see Figure 2) that shows which countries currently give the BCG vaccine and which countries do not:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062527/

It seems to be given in most of the world, but not in the US, Canada, most Western European Countries or in the antipodes. Is there any apparent correlation between countries that give this vaccine and those that don't? Hard to say. For example, there's Brazil, and Peru, which give the vaccine but also had a lot of Covid deaths. Some Eastern European countries that give it had very high rates of mortality. Also, just looking for correlations with this map is not scientifically rigorous, of course.

On the other hand, this vaccine is given to babies and adolescents, not old people who were most susceptible. So it could be that we don't see an effect mostly because old people haven't had it recently.

And of course, someone should probably take a hard look at this paper to make sure that it is legit.
Limitations of the Study
The most important limitation of our trial is that off-target effects take time to systemically manifest, but, once they do appear, they may offer broad-based infectious disease protection over the long-term. BCG does not work as fast as the antigen-specific COVID-19 vaccines and also likely requires multiple treatments over time to be effective, at least in BCG- naïve adults. Antigen-specific vaccines generally take weeks to show an effect although protection is limited by a specific strain and then downstream by short durability. In the case of the BCG vaccine, the off-target platform protection from infections has a slower onset (months to years) but offers perhaps life-long durability. The other off-target effects of BCG are in its reset of autoimmune diseases, benefits that take 2 years to show an effect 18-21. Nonetheless, the benefits may last for decades thereafter as well, at least 8 years in randomized clinical trials. Many of the epidemiologic studies show off-target protection after neonatal or adult vaccination, including one study showing >60 years of protection from a neonatal BCG vaccine 19,59. This “long immunity,” is both long to start and perhaps long-lasting.
So take it all with a grain of salt, but it seems like an interesting possibility.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Oh, you laughed at ivermectin but you want us to all get consumption?

– J.D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

A study population of 155 does not inspire confidence, with or without intervals.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Post by robinson »

“I’m vaccinated and double boosted and I only got Covid three times. Just think how much worse it would’ve been if I hadn’t been vaccinated. “
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Wait until it cross-breeds with monkeypox. 🐒
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

That is exactly what killed Ed's crawdads11!
robinson2
Title: I can’t be worrying about that

Post by robinson2 »

robinson,

You use subtle sarcasm, and that almost never works online. Even heavy handed obvious sarcasm doesn't work online.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

What about litotes?
robinson

Post by robinson »

I use them all the time, but the 3rd definition type
robinson

Post by robinson »

Now back to science.

I mean

SCIENCE!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Got my covalent Moderna booster and a flu shot.

Vaccinator: "Would you like one in each arm or both in one arm?"

Me: "Both in the left, thanks." I roll up my left sleeve.

Vaccinator: "That's your left arm."

Me: "Yes. Did I say right?"

Vaccinator: "Yes."

Me: "Both in the left, thanks."

I do not identify as "bi".