"Failure to communicate"

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

"Failure to communicate"

Post by Pyrrho »

https://temblor.net/earthquake-insights ... ter-13415/
White Island volcano (also known by its Maori name, Whakaari), one of New Zealand’s most active volcanoes, erupted in December 2019, killing 22 people and injuring another 25. The injured suffered horribly; many were burned by super-hot sulfurous volcanic ash, from which they may never fully recover.

In November of 2020, WorkSafe New Zealand brought charges against ten organizations and three individuals for their role in the tragedy. The defendants were accused of violating various sections of the NZ Health and Safety at Work Act. Among the defendants are government agencies, GNS Science and the National Emergency Management Agency.

GeoNet had raised the alert level for Whakaari to 2 well before the fatal eruption.

A 2 out of 5 doesn’t sound very threatening, especially to someone not familiar with the nuances of the scale. Nor is the alert level a prediction of what might happen in the future. It is explicitly not a prediction.

But the charges against the science agencies are not about a failure to predict — they are about a failure to warn.
Similar thing has happened in Italy, after an earthquake.
Anaxagoras

Re: "Failure to communicate"

Post by Anaxagoras »

In my opinion, if you approach an active volcano, you are always taking a risk. Maybe an acceptable risk, but you can never be certain when it might erupt. Everyone must have known that it was not 100% safe to go there. They just got unlucky, but they knew the risks, and risked it anyway, and they lost that bet, unfortunately.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah. You wander to dangerous places, you encounter danger.

– J.D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Quote from a guy I heard at a speaking event: "If you go stand on the corner of 55th and Broa'way, I guarantee you'll get a beating!"

("Broa'way" is how "Broadway" is pronounced in that neighborhood.)