Chargebacks

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: G_D

Chargebacks

Post by ed »

About 50% of our business is thru the internet. We have a credit card processing set up so it is pretty seamless, like Amazon actually.

Thing is that there is fraud.

We had one guy who had deliveries made to a MailBoxes type place about 100 miles from his home. He'd go in, get the package then dispute the charge. We found out from another dealer that the guy was a crook and contacted the owner of the outlet and had him send out stuff back before the guy had a chance to steal it.

We just got an order for $1500+ from a first time customer. If he gets the package, even if he signs for it and then disputes the charge we are out the money.

Just sharing a story from the real world that folks like Biden have zero knowledge of.
Grammatron

Re: Chargebacks

Post by Grammatron »

It's not as cut and dry in my experience. The merchant service should work with you not against you. Amazon may be too big for someone like you.
ed

Post by ed »

Grammatron wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 am It's not as cut and dry in my experience. The merchant service should work with you not against you. Amazon may be too big for someone like you.
Amazon isn't involved. Thing is that if a person says "I never got it" you loose.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

ed wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:22 am
Grammatron wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 am It's not as cut and dry in my experience. The merchant service should work with you not against you. Amazon may be too big for someone like you.
Amazon isn't involved. Thing is that if a person says "I never got it" you loose.
If they signed for it then they got it.
ed

Post by ed »

Grammatron wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:50 am
ed wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:22 am
If they signed for it then they got it.
Nope. They can dispute the signature. They can insist that they were not home. Yes, Virginia, it is true. You can have a picture of the package at their front door. Thing is that for a vendor to prevail you have to start spending money and there are no guarantees.

What we have started to do is to get a postal money order from buyers who have not purchased before and buy a lot of stuff. We do not ship to convenience addresses (PostNet and like that) never to PO boxes.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Crazy. My experience has been very different. I've only had a few chargebacks over the years and only one for a package that was delivered. I was able to have it reversed back.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't doubt that there are dishonest people out there looking for ways to scam.

Maybe they target small business operators on purpose because they think it's easier to get away with.

The guy making the delivery has no way to verify if a signature is legit. He just needs someone to sign.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

This past year delivery services have been garbage. They used Covid-19 as a shield and refused to verify signatures or offer any guarantees. My clients had their deliveries left on the street, drive ways; different towns.

In one respect I do agree with ed. The back-end of the business world has been a mess due to government actions.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

How would they verify a signature?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:17 am How would they verify a signature?
Here are a couple of examples of how FedEx "verified" products I sent to my customers.
https://i.imgur.com/dtJimnk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LM8KnnG.jpg

And if you call after North American business hours (8-5 Eastern) you are sent to a call center in a different country. No one in that call center has any ability nor power to help you.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Signed for by COVID. Got it.

Here in Japan, pre-pandemic you could either sign a paper slip or stamp it with a hanko. I don't think the delivery person had any way to actually check the signature or the hanko (I probably could have gotten away with a rubber stamp of Mickey Mouse) and they take your word for it if it's for someone else in your household. Since Covid, I've just been telling them over the intercom to leave it on my doorstep, and that's usually fine. I guess for some items you may still need to sign, depending on the delivery conditions (official certified mail or the like).
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

What you described would have been fine, but the delivery drivers did not even check to see if anyone was home. The packages were just left there.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Which is complete horseshit. If these peeps want to work, then make them do their goddamned jobs or get in line at the soup kitchen!
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Agreed.
ed

Post by ed »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 am I don't doubt that there are dishonest people out there looking for ways to scam.

Maybe they target small business operators on purpose because they think it's easier to get away with.

The guy making the delivery has no way to verify if a signature is legit. He just needs someone to sign.
Or signs himself. FedEx (and I suppose UPS and DHL) have been having a hell of a time.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

In the last 2 months, I had 2 packages rom USPS with tracking - verified as delivered, never received. They shrug, when they eventually deign to see me.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Well, nice to know that somebody got them!
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

sparks wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:59 pm Well, nice to know that somebody got them!
I think the mailperson liked them, tbh.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

I've never had a problem with deliveries or collections because I know what I am doing.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:54 am Signed for by COVID. Got it.

Here in Japan, pre-pandemic you could either sign a paper slip or stamp it with a hanko. I don't think the delivery person had any way to actually check the signature or the hanko (I probably could have gotten away with a rubber stamp of Mickey Mouse) and they take your word for it if it's for someone else in your household. Since Covid, I've just been telling them over the intercom to leave it on my doorstep, and that's usually fine. I guess for some items you may still need to sign, depending on the delivery conditions (official certified mail or the like).

When I stay at my girlfriend’s place I routinely use her stamp* to accept packages. Although sometimes I sign an illegible name. I’m not sure if the delivery people let me do this because I’m foreign, but in both cases they don’t really seem to care.

* Not her official stamp, of course. For those outside of Japan, there are lots of name stamps. But the 「実印」carries even more weight than a signature and in the wrong hands there is potential for serious mischief.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

So you put your fingers on her mhanko?

– J.D.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:44 am So you put your fingers on her mhanko?

– J.D.

For starters.