An experiment

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: G_D

An experiment

Post by ed »

The rightmost image is a 1.65" High Explosive shell for a Hotchkiss Mountain Gun.
https://www.spanamwar.com/hotchkissammo1.JPG
The red projectile is loaded with black powder, the fuse is what is called a ring retaining point detonation fuse. The principle is that it it hits something a pin hits a cup with fulminate of mercury which detonates and ignites the BP which burns violently and causes the projo to explode.

I bought it to be displayed with my cannon. Sold the cannon but that is another story.

Anyway, you can pick these rounds up every now and then in a live state. The one I got was live and I disarmed it in a motel room outside of Gettysburg PA. I saved the BP and thought that iy would be interesting to see how it burns after all this time. The round was made ca. 1900.

I put it in a plastic pill container and ignited it with a short length of cannon fuse.

The net of this is that it is burning far too slowly. BP is hydroscopic so it's character changes if it is not kept dry.

Anyway, The End
solely

Re: An experiment

Post by solely »

I'm a notorious lazy bastard, and too lazy to search the internet, could Rittenhouse legally
bought and loaded the rifle with rubber bullets? Or I should say the adult who gave him the gun.

Sorry to hear about the cannon.
ed

Post by ed »

solely wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:54 pm I'm a notorious lazy bastard, and too lazy to search the internet, could Rittenhouse legally
bought and loaded the rifle with rubber bullets? Or I should say the adult who gave him the gun.

Sorry to hear about the cannon.
Don't think they make less lethal 5.56. At the range he was shooting less---->more---->completely
ed

Post by ed »

Just want to say I could have died producing this and you lot act like you're in a drive in movie in NZ having your civil liberties curtailed.

No idea what that means.

:x
DJ

Post by DJ »

Sorry Ed. what you did showed nerves of steel. Courage even. A joy of life without the surrender language.

Please feel free to share your exploits at any time, but take care to maintain all your body parts.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

ed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 pm Just want to say I could have died producing this. . . .
Quitter!
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Post by robinson »

Maybe gravely injured, but not killed
ed

Post by ed »

Would have been horrible. And any number of passing school children (one cuter than the next) could have been maimed.

And you all sit there, smug, self satisfied and uxorious.

Shame I say, shame!!
solely

Post by solely »

Did I forget to say nice fizzle.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

solely wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:14 pm Did I forget to say nice fizzle.
Well, Ed is getting older.

I say we shouldn't judge.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Can you hold the camera closer next time.