Questions about speed of light and simulation theory

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
tcuboy24

Questions about speed of light and simulation theory

Post by tcuboy24 »

I've been having trouble with the cosmic speed limit and how similar it seems to be to computer restrictions. I was directed here by a couple physicists from another forum.

I think that the speed limit is kinda like an invisible hand that just stops things from travelling faster, and that the mass of an object keeps going higher and higher until it just stops. This was kinda my question too, but no one really adressed it there, was hoping you might have an explanation.

2. Someone mentioned its possible the universe "selected" this speed, and I was confused on what this meant

These 3 articles kinda confused me too, mostly the part about how the sun we see is 8 minutes behind and how if it "disappeared", we wouldn't know until 8 minutes later. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newswe ... 6385?amp=1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...w ... a619df278d

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newswe ... 85%3famp=1

I also thought what doest make sense me is if the future already exists and I'm already dead in somebody elses now. that means everything already happened, so we have no free will?

And then I saw a YouTube comment that confused me: we have infinite paths to take. We aren't God we can't create new things altogether like God did( I say God for explanation purposes) Think of it like this there are paths set out infinitely where you do different things but they are already done so since there are infinite ways to pick you can think of it as you going to grab an apple and and water or your other path grabbing an orange and water or you can grab a banana and water so can do those or you can mix them so they create mix of possiblities at larger numbers of you deciding things it creates what we do but it's technically already set out for different ones of ourselves to do. If you are interested in quantum physics apply the infinitentionalities to ever thing I said and it will create a weird visual for you in your mind that will help you understand these time conundrums we live in

I know this is a lot to unpack but I'm having a massive exenstial crisis right now and could use some reassurance.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: Questions about speed of light and simulation theory

Post by Hotarubi »

Why don't they use Transwarp In Star Trek any more?

Explain the fuck out of that one.
tcuboy24

Post by tcuboy24 »

Of course, I am not sure. It's just that this whole idea of speed limit and how eerily similar it is to computer simulations we run is really depressing to me. Every explanation of "why" I've found, mentions things that need finite speeds to work, but this also just reminds me that computers can't handle infinity so a coder could easily make it to where these features in our universe only work with finite speeds, since that's all they can compute.
tcuboy24

Post by tcuboy24 »

Like I was also thinking about how if there was a simulation, they'd want to keep light as minimum as possible, which is why light from a light switch is essentially instant, but from the sun it takes longer. Also, if none of our physics would work if it was infinite, isn't this also somewhat evidence? Like even if they could compute infinity, they wouldnt because our universe wouldnt work, so maybe they want to keep it so our universe is functional
DJ

Post by DJ »

Well, at least I understand why they sent you here. Welcome! Please look up Occam’s razor. Avoid the bat crap crazy stuff. It will just confuse you more. I have some confidence that some people will be by to discuss the physics with you. Although, we’ve lost a few of late.

My advice to avoid an existential crisis is to focus on things you can prove. Use skepticism. Learn its process regardless of how long that may take.

Oh, and do not make Dr. X mad. Please.

:BananaCheers:
tcuboy24

Post by tcuboy24 »

I've done a bit of research but was also upset about the idea around free will. Like does free will exist or is everything predetermined? Was hoping for some insight

There was a pbs video i found about it but of course I can't find it now
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

DJ wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:27 pmOh, and do not make Dr. X mad. Please.
Tell me, does your father still steal?

– J. "Yet, I am POOR!" D.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Doctor X wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:39 am
DJ wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:27 pmOh, and do not make Dr. X mad. Please.
Tell me, does your father still steal?

– J. "Yet, I am POOR!" D.

Allow me to ignite your cigarette.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The trick is not to mind it.

– J. "He is Not Perfect!" D.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Fate is nothing other than the arrangement of the stars.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

tcuboy24 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 pm I've been having trouble with the cosmic speed limit and how similar it seems to be to computer restrictions.

. . .

I know this is a lot to unpack but I'm having a massive exenstial crisis right now and could use some reassurance.
This is causing you to have an existential crisis?

I guess that means you don't have a lot of real problems in your life, like how to put food on the table or cancer.

So think of it as a good sign. If you have time to worry about such abstract philosophical matters, your life is objectively just fine.

Now if you want my opinion, we don't live in a computer simulation.

We also probably don't have free will, but we at least have the illusion of free will. You should live your life based on the the assumption that you have free will anyway. Neither of these "problems" are actually things you need to spend one minute worrying about. So use your free will to choose to stop worrying about whether you have free will.

tcuboy24

Post by tcuboy24 »

That mindset does help me, so thank you for that, but I'm still confused about free will. If we probably don't have free will, isn't that kinda like we're being controlled like puppets in a way? Idk but it also sounds similar to a computer sim
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Then quantum shows up and tosses indeterminacy into the entire push for determinacy ["Determinancy?" – Ed.]. Perfectly cromulent.

Nevertheless, I think what would be helpful would be to know what level of understanding you have of physics. For example, I search'd, in vain, for a good video of what reality would actually look like if "Einstein was WRONG!!"

There is a lot of crap on the YouTube.

Anyway, there was a nice one from a Fermilab physicist on the supposed "Twin Paradox," which is not a paradox, but the explanation requires . . .

. . .

. . . math!

And by math, I mean math even Anax can understand [He broke his pencil trying to follow along. – Ed.] SHHH! rather than the usual math that requires letters from Moabite.

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

tcuboy24 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:50 am That mindset does help me, so thank you for that, but I'm still confused about free will. If we probably don't have free will, isn't that kinda like we're being controlled like puppets in a way? Idk but it also sounds similar to a computer sim
Suppose that there is a way to prove these questions either true or false, conclusively.

If I could show you that proof (proof that we do or do not live in a computer simulation or proof that we do or do not have free will), is there anything you would start to do differently based on that answer?

The question is actually pretty interesting.

Think about how transporters are supposed to work in Star Trek. A computer scans a person's body, records all of the information necessary to reconstruct it, beams that information to another place, and then reassembles the body based on that information. Is the reassembled body the same person, or did that person die and a new person was created based on the same blueprints?

To make a simpler analogy, suppose I tear one building down and build an identical building at another location, is it the same building or a different building?

In the video, she mentions that the amount of information necessary to recreate just a single cell of a human body (never mind an entire person) so that it is identical in every respect would be so gargantuan that it would take a ridiculous amount of time to transmit all of that information.

Do you really think that there could possibly be a computer powerful enough to simulate all of this, down to every minute detail? Every atom, every electron, and so on? And if such a computer actually existed, then what difference does it actually make? Not worth worrying about.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Post by robinson »

Focusing on the speed of light, because it’s a real thing, is a good start.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

"What is reality?

Eat me. Eat me raw!"

"Rah rah rah. That's the spirits we have here today!"

"Fuck you!"

"So come on kids. Line up, sign up and re-enlist today. And fuck you too."