Do you instantly recognize great art? Literature?

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Do you instantly recognize great art? Literature?

Post by robinson »

But it was also clear that an all-round increase in wealth threatened the destruction -- indeed, in some sense was the destruction -- of a hierarchical society. In a world in which everyone worked short hours, had enough to eat, lived in a house with a bathroom and a refrigerator, and possessed a motor-car or even an aeroplane, the most obvious and perhaps the most important form of inequality would already have disappeared. If it once became general, wealth would confer no distinction. It was possible, no doubt, to imagine a society in which wealth, in the sense of personal possessions and luxuries, should be evenly distributed, while power remained in the hands of a small privileged caste. But in practice such a society could not long remain stable. For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realize that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away. In the long run, a hierarchical society was only possible on a basis of poverty and ignorance. To return to the agricultural past, as some thinkers about the beginning of the twentieth century dreamed of doing, was not a practicable solution. It conflicted with the tendency towards mechanization which had become quasi-instinctive throughout almost the whole world, and moreover, any country which remained industrially backward was helpless in a military sense and was bound to be dominated, directly or indirectly, by its more advanced rivals.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Do you instantly recognize great art? Literature?

Post by ed »

Yes. And that probably makes one a racist
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:55 am Yes. And that probably makes one a racist
No. It just means that, as usual, Rubs-his-son has nothing of interest to say and resorts to cut n pastes from Orwell's 1984.
robinson

Post by robinson »

“ The problem was you had to keep choosing between one evil or another, and no matter what you chose, they sliced a little bit more off you, until there was nothing left. At the age of 25 most people were finished. A whole god-damned nation of assholes driving automobiles, eating, having babies, doing everything in the worst way possible, like voting for the presidential candidates who reminded them most of themselves. I had no interests. I had no interest in anything. I had no idea how I was going to escape. At least the others had some taste for life. They seemed to understand something that I didn't understand. Maybe I was lacking. It was possible. I often felt inferior. I just wanted to get away from them. But there was no place to go.”
robinson

Post by robinson »

“ Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world.”
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Which is irrelevant. What matters is whether it moves my personal peanut ahead on any continuum that I deem important.

I have a durer print that makes me smile whenever I look at it. The skill and the fact that it is anamorphic which is rarely commented on is what I like. I could not give a shit what a faggy 16th German was thinking of, worse yet, "feeling". I'd kick him in the nuts if he were here.

This is it. My 40th b-day present.
https://media.sciencephoto.com/image/c0 ... ration.jpg