COVID-19 statistics

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

NPR's dashboard:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... in-the-u-s
View the data via state-by-state charts (immediately below), a heat map that shows state risk levels, a table of trends in new infections over four weeks, and a map of case and death totals.
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

Death rates by vaccination status:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:01 pm Death rates by vaccination status:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
To understand how the pandemic is evolving, it’s crucial to know how death rates from COVID-19 are affected by vaccination status.
by Edouard Mathieu and Max Roser
November 23, 2021
ed
Posts: 41975
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by ed »

How does that vary by strain?
sparks
Posts: 17559
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by sparks »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 pm How does that vary by strain?
Look it up dipshit. :)
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2788172
In this systematic review and meta-analysis, approximately one-third of placebo recipients in COVID-19 vaccine randomized clinical trials reported at least 1 systemic AE after both the first and the second dose, with headache and fatigue being the most common. This nocebo response accounted for 76.0% of systemic AEs after the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, and for 51.8% after the second dose. Public vaccination programs should consider these high nocebo responses.
Ben Trovado
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Ben Trovado »

Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:01 pm Death rates by vaccination status:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
Interesting stats.

It looks like a x5 or x6 rough advantage for the 2 best vacc's.

Of course, I just took a quick look, and am not sure some of it isn't a bit fudged. The incentive to label deaths a caused by covid (financial) was greater until recently. Likewise, the recent strain is less lethal . . . I'd really need to look at it month by month to get a clear picture.

Still. Useful.
Hotarubi
Posts: 5145
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:12 am
Title: Enchantress
Location: This septic Isle.

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Hotarubi »

Listen fuckwits.

Everyone knows that the data I agree with is accurate and the data I disagree with is not.

And there is NO AMOUNT of FACT that changes that FACT.
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Doctor X »

Clearly, if you disagree with me you are a libertard communist pedophile with a questionable foot odor.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Ben Trovado »

Ben Trovado wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:37 pm
Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:01 pm Death rates by vaccination status:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
Interesting stats.

It looks like a x5 or x6 rough advantage for the 2 best vacc's.

Of course, I just took a quick look, and am not sure some of it isn't a bit fudged. The incentive to label deaths a caused by covid (financial) was greater until recently. Likewise, the recent strain is less lethal . . . I'd really need to look at it month by month to get a clear picture.

Still. Useful.
I also forgot that over time, the fact that it hit the elderly so hard up front (at the time when no vaxx was available, and therefore every hospitalization or death would be "unvaxxed") and the development of actual treatment methods and drugs over time (which would overlap vaxx status because of the time delay in getting the vaxx developed) might impact rates quite a bit, as well.

Frankly, I am not sure how to separate out the confounding factors.
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

Yes, that would require patient data not readily or easily available.
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

One statistic stands out with no questions about it

Nobody who was not exposed to a sick person spreading Covid 19, ever got sick or died from it
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

The nations that closed their borders and sanitized any incoming material, have had zero deaths and cases
Tommy Palven
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Tommy Palven »

Kennedy's group. Truth or lies?
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defe ... ies-teens/

Christian extremists may support Kennedy for the wrong reasons, but is he wrong?
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

Best to conduct one's own search of VAERS data.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html
Disclaimer
VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

The strengths of VAERS are that it is national in scope and can quickly provide an early warning of a safety problem with a vaccine. As part of CDC and FDA’s multi-system approach to post-licensure vaccine safety monitoring, VAERS is designed to rapidly detect unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse events, also known as “safety signals.” If a safety signal is found in VAERS, further studies can be done in safety systems such as the CDC’s Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) or the Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment (CISA) project. These systems do not have the same scientific limitations as VAERS, and can better assess health risks and possible connections between adverse events and a vaccine.
Tommy Palven
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Tommy Palven »

Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:19 pm Best to conduct one's own search of VAERS data.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html
Disclaimer
VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

The strengths of VAERS are that it is national in scope and can quickly provide an early warning of a safety problem with a vaccine. As part of CDC and FDA’s multi-system approach to post-licensure vaccine safety monitoring, VAERS is designed to rapidly detect unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse events, also known as “safety signals.” If a safety signal is found in VAERS, further studies can be done in safety systems such as the CDC’s Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) or the Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment (CISA) project. These systems do not have the same scientific limitations as VAERS, and can better assess health risks and possible connections between adverse events and a vaccine.
It's over my head.

Have you conducted your own search?

If so, in your opinion is there any truth to what Kennedy is saying?
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

Tommy Palven wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:14 pm
Pyrrho wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:19 pm Best to conduct one's own search of VAERS data.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html
Disclaimer
VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

The strengths of VAERS are that it is national in scope and can quickly provide an early warning of a safety problem with a vaccine. As part of CDC and FDA’s multi-system approach to post-licensure vaccine safety monitoring, VAERS is designed to rapidly detect unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse events, also known as “safety signals.” If a safety signal is found in VAERS, further studies can be done in safety systems such as the CDC’s Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) or the Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment (CISA) project. These systems do not have the same scientific limitations as VAERS, and can better assess health risks and possible connections between adverse events and a vaccine.
It's over my head.

Have you conducted your own search?

If so, in your opinion is there any truth to what Kennedy is saying?
He's cherry-picking. It's over his head, too.

I have conducted my own searches to see if there is what is called a "signal" in the medical field. Adverse event reports have resulted in additional monitoring and advisories on the basis of such "signals".

From the VAERS disclaimer:
The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.
That said, yes, there are incidents of adverse effects post-vaccination. It is unfortunate, no argument there. COVID-19 has an extremely higher incidence of adverse effects. The benefits of the vaccines outweigh the risks, even with the unfortunate occurrences of severe adverse effects, which nobody intends.

Parents should consult their physicians, not politicians, regarding medical treatments and vaccinations.
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Doctor X »

Tommy Palven wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:14 pmIt's over my head.
With respect, how can you claim a definitive position when the evidence necessary to arrive at degree of position proves "over your head?"

– J.D.
Tommy Palven
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Tommy Palven »

If this is a repeat, ignore it.

George Carlin on virus paranoia, ten years before Covid-19.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ge ... &FORM=VIRE
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

I will take a pass on George Carlin's expertise in virology.
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Doctor X »

Tommy Palven wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:44 pm If this is a repeat, ignore it.
Cannot answer a simple question?

– J.D.
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

Pyrrho wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:46 pm I will take a pass on George Carlin's expertise in virology.
I feel the same way about almost everybody
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/148 ... 50945?s=21
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

Based on the Israel data, they actually made things worse
Ben Trovado
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Ben Trovado »

I can't go that far.

It absolutely puts a question to the real number efficacy of the vaccines - especially over time. But I don't think the data stretches to show it made things worse.

I will say that the fact that the % of vaccinated people either hospitalized or dead match so closely to the % of people vaccinated overall raises some issues. Between that and the (gradual) admission that the vaccines do not prevent transmission or catching the disease, I can understand why a lot of people have lost faith in the health experts.

I don't think I have said, but I got fully vaxx'd. But I do think the risk to reward ratio is a LOT different for minors, and certainlty for those 5 and under.

Fauci's latest pronouncement that those under 5 would be expected to get at least 3 shots is mystifying to me.
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

It’s about money
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Anaxagoras »

Tommy Palven wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm Kennedy's group. Truth or lies?
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defe ... ies-teens/

Christian extremists may support Kennedy for the wrong reasons, but is he wrong?
Let me just make a simple observation and calculation from the information on that page:
Excluding “foreign reports” to VAERS, 723,042 adverse events, including 9,936 deaths and 64,406 serious injuries, were reported in the U.S. between Dec. 14, 2020, and Jan. 7, 2022.

Foreign reports are reports foreign subsidiaries send to U.S. vaccine manufacturers. Under U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, if a manufacturer is notified of a foreign case report that describes an event that is both serious and does not appear on the product’s labeling, the manufacturer is required to submit the report to VAERS.

Of the 9,936 U.S. deaths reported as of Jan. 7, 19% occurred within 24 hours of vaccination, 24% occurred within 48 hours of vaccination and 61% occurred in people who experienced an onset of symptoms within 48 hours of being vaccinated.

In the U.S., 516 million COVID vaccine doses had been administered as of Jan. 7, including 303 million doses of Pfizer, 197 million doses of Moderna and 18 million doses of Johnson & Johnson (J&J).
In the United States, using 2019 numbers, there were 2,854,838 deaths. That's 7152 deaths per 1 million people in a year. A year has 365 days, so that's 19.5 deaths per million per day. So typically, if you give 1 million shots, you would expect 19.5 of those people to die within 24 hours of getting the shot and 39 people to die within 48 hours. That's for 1 million. According to the above, "516 million COVID vaccine doses had been administered as of Jan. 7". Simple multiplication shows that you would expect 10,062 people to die within 24 hours and double that (20,124) within 48 hours.

So the number of deaths does not look like it is being caused by the vaccine, because you would expect more than were reported just from the average background rate at which people die. That, plus as Pyrrho mentioned, the fact that people report adverse events even when given a placebo, shows that adverse events, and particularly deaths, that are genuinely caused by the vaccines and not merely coincidences are probably rather rare.
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Doctor X »

Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pmI will say that the fact that the % of vaccinated people either hospitalized or dead match so closely to the % of people vaccinated overall. . . .
What now?

– J.D.
Ben Trovado
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Ben Trovado »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pmI will say that the fact that the % of vaccinated people either hospitalized or dead match so closely to the % of people vaccinated overall. . . .
What now?

– J.D.
No idea. On balance, I support the vaccines for anyone over 50 definitely. Over 30 Probably. Over 15 Maybe, according to other factors. And under 15, probably not, according to other factors.

But I am just one rando looking out for himself and his kids.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Anaxagoras »

Ben Trovado wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:59 am
Doctor X wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pmI will say that the fact that the % of vaccinated people either hospitalized or dead match so closely to the % of people vaccinated overall. . . .
What now?

– J.D.
No idea. On balance, I support the vaccines for anyone over 50 definitely. Over 30 Probably. Over 15 Maybe, according to other factors. And under 15, probably not, according to other factors.

But I am just one rando looking out for himself and his kids.
I think he was questioning your premise. If it's true, yeah, that would be strange, but most information I have seen doesn't seem to show that.

Here's something that was just released by the state of Washington for example:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Docume ... inated.pdf
COVID-19 hospitalization rates per 100,000 population from December 15 to
January 11, 2022
Note that this is recent data, not from last summer. Hospitalization rates were 5 times higher in unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds and 7 times higher in people 35 or older. And from Dec. 1 to Dec. 28th death rates were 11 times higher for unvaccinated people over 65.

This data is about as recent as you are going to find. All within the last 2 months.
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

https://twitter.com/covid19crusher/stat ... 95011?s=21
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Anaxagoras »

Israel does a lot more testing than South Africa:
https://i.imgur.com/diHSyN2.png
Ben Trovado
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Title: Ex Avenger

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Ben Trovado »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:20 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:59 am
Doctor X wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 am
Ben Trovado wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pmI will say that the fact that the % of vaccinated people either hospitalized or dead match so closely to the % of people vaccinated overall. . . .
What now?

– J.D.
No idea. On balance, I support the vaccines for anyone over 50 definitely. Over 30 Probably. Over 15 Maybe, according to other factors. And under 15, probably not, according to other factors.

But I am just one rando looking out for himself and his kids.
I think he was questioning your premise. If it's true, yeah, that would be strange, but most information I have seen doesn't seem to show that.

Here's something that was just released by the state of Washington for example:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Docume ... inated.pdf
COVID-19 hospitalization rates per 100,000 population from December 15 to
January 11, 2022
Note that this is recent data, not from last summer. Hospitalization rates were 5 times higher in unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds and 7 times higher in people 35 or older. And from Dec. 1 to Dec. 28th death rates were 11 times higher for unvaccinated people over 65.

This data is about as recent as you are going to find. All within the last 2 months.
That is one reason that the Israel numbers are hard to explain. I think they raise issues, but aren't definitive on anything.
Tommy Palven
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Tommy Palven »

Who knew that there is influential conservative media?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
Doctor X
Posts: 77246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Doctor X »

Who knew we should care when you cannot answer simple questions?

– J.D.
Tommy Palven
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Tommy Palven »

The current confused state of Covid discourse in Germany at this time:
https://www.eugyppius.com/p/why-bother- ... RqArfIbfSg
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

At this point all people can do is to hope they don't get severe illness from this virus.
robinson
Posts: 19226
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Happiness is a choice!
Location: USA

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by robinson »

The horses were gone, but the guy that holds them is still standing there, doing nothing
Pyrrho
Posts: 32955
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.ajtmh.org/view/journals/tpm ... 1-0328.xml
Using data from 19 early epicenters, we show that the relationship between the incidence of COVID-19 and temperature is a complex function of prevailing climatic conditions influencing human behavior that govern virus transmission dynamics. We note that under a dry (low-moisture) environment, notably at dew point temperatures below 0°C, the incidence of the disease was highest. Prevalence of the virus in the human population, when ambient air temperatures were higher than 24°C or lower than 17°C, was hypothesized to be a function of the interaction between humans and the built or ambient environment.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29981
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: COVID-19 statistics

Post by Anaxagoras »

So are they basically saying that it's more transmissible during the wintertime when people gather indoors to stay warm, and in the summertime when people gather indoors to stay cool?