Nothing is real and there's nothing to get hung about

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Nothing is real and there's nothing to get hung about

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... proved-it/
The Universe Is Not Locally Real, and the Physics Nobel Prize Winners Proved It
Elegant experiments with entangled light have laid bare a profound mystery at the heart of reality
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Re: Nothing is real and there's nothing to get hung about

Post by shemp »

Guess it's time to take the red pill and exit the matrix.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Pluto is really a planet.

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

- Richard Feynman

I'm still kind of perplexed by the term "locally real."
One of the more unsettling discoveries in the past half century is that the universe is not locally real. “Real,” meaning that objects have definite properties independent of observation—an apple can be red even when no one is looking; “local” means objects can only be influenced by their surroundings, and that any influence cannot travel faster than light. Investigations at the frontiers of quantum physics have found that these things cannot both be true. Instead, the evidence shows objects are not influenced solely by their surroundings and they may also lack definite properties prior to measurement. As Albert Einstein famously bemoaned to a friend, “Do you really believe the moon is not there when you are not looking at it?”
Personally, I am of the opinion that the moon is still there, even if nobody is looking at the moon. I also believe that if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, it still makes a noise.

Does it make sense to argue that objects such as apples and moons and trees have the same properties as quantum particles like photons of light?
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Anax, does it really matter? The impact on our daily lives is essentially zero. My electricity bill may disappear when I choose not to look at it but it still exists in the minds of the people who sent it.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Not in the sense that it has any effect on our daily lives. But there’s a lot of things that people care about that arguably they shouldn’t. Such as whether the local sports team wins or loses.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I never move from my chair, because if I move I gain mass.

– J.D.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Apples and moons are made of the particles that have quantum behaviour, but because there are so many particles, the quantum effects average out, and the apple, or moon, behaves in the classical way, that requires no quantum theory to describe.

A similar (but not quantum) effect governs the behaviour of gases. If there were only a handful of gas molecules in a room, then at random times they would all be in the same corner of the room at once. The same thing could theoretically happen, regardless of the number of molecules, but in a real room full of normal air, there are so many billions of molecules, that it becomes vanishingly unlikely - which is a good thing, because you would die if they ever did.

Once there are enough things, then statistics take over. You could flip a fair coin a million times and get a million heads, but you'd likely wait longer than the age of the universe for it to happen. The same statistical effects applied to the motion of the gas molecules, result in the emergent, 'averaged' values, that we give names like, 'pressure' , or 'density'.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

. . . or Kevin.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

. . . but fuck Chad.

– J.D.