Football, (Soccer)

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Football, (Soccer)

Post by asthmatic camel »

Does anyone really give a fuck? Apart from the cretins who are willing to pay megabucks to watch overpaid blokes kick a ball around a field?

I certainly don't.
Last edited by asthmatic camel on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grammatron

Re: Football, (Soccer)

Post by Grammatron »

Ultimately no. But there's something about being with friends or strangers and enjoying the same thing, or being sad over the same thing. That corrupt assholes want to abuse that for their own gains doesn't change that positive in the sports. And you can enjoy sports and ignore some or all tournaments. But I think I understand why are you upset.
asthmatic camel

It's a boring game, and I say that as an Englishman. 90 minutes to produce a nil all draw? I was a lacrosse player and a close result between class teams would be in the region of 29 to 30. I just don't see the attraction.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Well if as an Englishman you don't see the attraction I doubt I can convince you otherwise. Frankly I think the sport doesn't matter, it's the interaction that does.
asthmatic camel

I can see the unattraction. In my younger days it wasn't safe to walk the streets on a Manchester City v Manchester United match day. The same holds true elsewhere.

Check out the Hillsborough Disaster if you think interaction is important.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Some people are evil assholes looking for an excuse to be evil assholes.
asthmatic camel

True enough. The problem is in quantifying "Some" and to what they are attracted. I don't recall a riot at a lacrosse match although it's a much tougher sport.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Some cunts beat up an older couple after an Elton John show here few weeks ago. Cunts are cunt.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

asthmatic camel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:43 am It's a boring game, and I say that as an Englishman. 90 minutes to produce a nil all draw? I was a lacrosse player and a close result between class teams would be in the region of 29 to 30. I just don't see the attraction.
Design a game where the number of goals/points per game is very low, and it becomes much more a game of chance. If goals were much easier to score, and the winning side was the first to score, say, a hundred goals, then luck would usually average out, and the best team would almost always win.

So by making goals rare, you give poor teams a better chance of winning, and this is supposed to make games more exciting and unpredictable.

I think this is why scoring systems like the ones used in tennis became established. You could play tennis by just having, say, five serves in a row for each player, and the winner would be the first player to reach, say, 200 points. Instead, they break the scoring up into games and sets. First to four points, or by a margin of two if both players reach four, wins a game; then first to six games, plus a margin of two, wins a set; then first to two or three sets wins the match. This can mean that the winner can actually win fewer points, overall, than the loser, and allows a bigger element of luck into the game: it makes for a more unpredictable and exciting game - where the underdog can more often triumph, and comebacks are more likely.

I imagine that in lacrosse, when teams are not well matched, the superior team is practically certain to win every match. Perhaps this explains why lacrosse is a less popular spectator sport than soccer.
asthmatic camel

I rest my case.

https://i.imgur.com/AxKUmXF.jpg
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

NSFW:
https://i.imgur.com/vK1rbwh.jpg
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

asthmatic camel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:55 pm Does anyone really give a fuck? Apart from the cretins who are willing to pay megabucks to watch overpaid blokes kick a ball around a field?

I certainly don't.
You know, being from England, on all my travels around the world, from the Middle of the Namib desert, the Kruger park in South Africa, Cape Town University, The Lake Cariba hotel in Zimbabwe, a train station in Czechoslovakia, Sword beach in Normandy , a restaurant outside Victor Hugo's house, An African restaurant off the Champs Elysees, several temples in Laos and even more in Thailand, a rice field nr Chiang mai, on the bridge over the River Kwai, Holland Beer on Rama 2, a hotel in Malmo, a ferry to Copenhagen, on an Overnight train to Berlin, a Jazz club in Philly, Camden yards in Baltimore etc. etc. etc.

In none of those places did anyone ask me about padded fag ambulatory quiddich Lacrosse. Yet, someone wanted to talk about the Premier League.

So yes. People do give a shit. More so than any other sport.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

So you hang around with t3h gh3ys.

You are a Fag Hag.

– J.D.

P.S. Not. . . .
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:30 am So you hang around with t3h gh3ys.
Yes, I did watch the Orioles play.