Salem's Lot

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Salem's Lot

Post by Nyarlathotep »

So, did anyone else watch the remake of Salem's Lot on TNT last night and the night before? I rather liked it, though it makes me want to go and re-read the novel because I read it 20 years ago or so and I don't remember much of it so I would like to compare it to the book.
Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

I just watched a little bit, but enough to notice that half the cast of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movie were in it (Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer), which amused me at the time.
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Love the book, but didn't watch the movie. Go ahead and reread it, it's worth it.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:I just watched a little bit, but enough to notice that half the cast of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" movie were in it (Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer), which amused me at the time.
I never thought about that, but you're right.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Quester_X wrote:Love the book, but didn't watch the movie. Go ahead and reread it, it's worth it.
Maybe I will. As soon as I catch up on all my other reading. I don't remember much of the book, though I do remember it being my favorite Steven King book at the time. I also remember the original movie scaring the crap out of me when I was a child. One of the few movie scenes that ever gave me nightmares, even when I was a kid, was the one where the one kid sees his friend (whom he knows to be dead) floating just outside of his window and asking to be let in. I think I was aobut 13 when I saw it and I actually had nightmares about that scene. When I saw the same scene in this one it still gave me a little chill, which is a good thing and hard to do to me.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I taped it, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I need to reread the book too. Nyarlathotep, when you're done, would you pass the copy over to me? 'Preciate it.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Nigel wrote:I taped it, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I need to reread the book too. Nyarlathotep, when you're done, would you pass the copy over to me? 'Preciate it.
I'll have to buy it first, but sure. I'll PM you when I do and you can tell me where to send it.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

I recently re-read the book.

They changed a lot from the book. Most notably, Father Callahan's role has been changed immensely. I guess they're not going to spin this into a Dark Tower miniseries.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Finally had a chance to watch it this weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but mentally kept comparing it to the previous mini series with David Soul and Lance Kerwin, as well as the book.

I noticed King had nothing to do with this version. He's been vocal sometimes about projects he's not written, produced, or otherwise been directly involved in. Any idea about this one?

This one held my attention, and I liked it overall.
boooeee

Post by boooeee »

Nyarlathotep wrote:One of the few movie scenes that ever gave me nightmares, even when I was a kid, was the one where the one kid sees his friend (whom he knows to be dead) floating just outside of his window and asking to be let in. I think I was aobut 13 when I saw it and I actually had nightmares about that scene. When I saw the same scene in this one it still gave me a little chill, which is a good thing and hard to do to me.
I believe a significant percentage of our generation was traumatized by that scene, myself included. Though, in my defense, I was only about 7 at the time.