You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Get their minds right...for their own good.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Lawsuit time.
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Poor kids. That sounds like a great project idea, and they should be given full recognition for their hard work!
Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Were they going to shoot a BB during their presentation? I doubt it. This does sound like zero tolerance BS.
Marian

Post by Marian »

"We had everything ready except gluing the poster," Woodard said. "We got an e-mail that the project was hazardous and it couldn't be shown because they didn't want to encourage kids to use ballistics."

Nancy G. Degon, vice president of Massachusetts State Science Fair Inc. and co-chair of the middle school fair, said fair rules prohibit hazardous substances and devices.

She said she never received a research plan from the boys, and if she had, their project would have been rejected immediately.

The students and Welborn said they sent in the plan.

"The scientific review committee does not consider science projects involving firearms to be safe for middle school students," Degon said. "We've never considered guns before. We've rejected BB guns in the past."

The boys were invited to present their findings to some judges and receive a certificate of accomplishment, but they rejected the offer because they weren't allowed to compete.
Basically they've rejected projects with BB guns in the past, and state that they would have rejected the project had they ever turned in their review material like they were supposed to.

Kids say they did turn in the paperwork.

Kids were offered the opportunity to present their findings to some judges and recieve a certificate, they declined. (I would assume this would be outside the fair, or perhaps at the fair without the actual bb gun demonstration).

And it's easier to have a zero tolerance policy than to deal with the problems of which you can/will accept and which you won't. Or dealing with liability because someone is injured or killed.

And ironically the kids' experiement has demonstated the lethality of BB guns ;)
Marian

Post by Marian »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Marian wrote: And ironically the kids' experiement has demonstated the lethality of BB guns ;)
OK I see the smiley but it must be said:

That is, they proved their hypothesis. That is they did real science. And had adult supervision with the hazardous parts.

So really it's an attack on the very idea of guns. A political agenda, not a safety issue.

At one time New York City (not Redneckville) public high schools had rifle teams. It's an Olympic sport, after all. And no school ever got shot up.

"Zero tolerance" is the school administation substituting a simple algorithm for the notion that adults should be having adult judgement, no matter who it hurts. It sends the message that adults are stupid and evil.
I think it has far less to do with political aspect of guns, and far more to do with the very real potential of legal liability and lawsuits.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

So? You want children . . . CHILDREN!!! . . . to be hurt by BB guns?!

One of the CHILDREN at the fair could have caught pneumonia!

--J.D.
Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

She said she never received a research plan from the boys, and if she had, their project would have been rejected immediately.

The students and Welborn said they sent in the plan.

New project:Solving the question of how election officials are selected in Florida. :roll:
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

By the ones who actually bother to show up at the polls and read their ballots.

:D

--J.D.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Look, when I poke random holes in my ballot, I expect the election commission to know which candidate I voted for. Why the hell am I paying taxes otherwise??!!?