How to set up a dual boot?

The war between wetware and hardware.
Cletus A.A.

How to set up a dual boot?

Post by Cletus A.A. »

I'd like some info on setting up a dual boot on a SINGLE hard drive with windows 98 in FAT 32 and windows XP home in NTFS.The disk I have for the XP is the upgrade from 98,not the complete XP package.I have randish partition manager,and sorta know how to use it.

From what I've read,I need to create a primary partition for win 98,install it,using FAT 32(cause that's what I want),then hide it.Now this is where I get confused...I think I need to set up another primary partition and install win 98,make it active,then boot it and try the upgrade disk to win XP.

My understanding is that with the first 98 hidden(Fat 32),and the second win 98 active that win XP will upgrade the second 98 and use the NTFS.I don't care that the first 98 won't share files with XP,or vice versa.I just would like to be able to have both systems on the hard drive independent of each other.

Any help you could add would be greatly appreciated.Oh,one more thing.....The SINGLE hard drive will be running on a controller card.I understand that I need to load info(drivers) before the actual win XP installation?Thanks for any help you can provide.
Dappadee

Post by Dappadee »

http://www.vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/dualboot.htm

Very easy.
Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Thanks for the link Dappadee.That is the "windows way".I'm not sure I can use the advanced setting for the installation because my disk is an upgrade disk.It may not recognize that I own win98 and XP upgrade versions.I'll work on it probably starting Friday,since I've heard it can take a whole weekend if I start getting conflicts and other problems.I'm trying to get all the info I can before starting.
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

I'm affraid I'll need more evidence(photographic) from the supreme Goddess of dual boots Skeptica(Girl6) herself. :WooHoo: :clap:
thraxas

Post by thraxas »

When you install, does it not detect that you are using a previous version of windows and offer you the chance to install alongside?

oh yeah, me bad, updgrade version, oops.

get a pirate version of XP pro instead, better yet, go install linux :)
Skeptoid

Post by Skeptoid »

If you have the Upgrade version of Windows XP, you can do a complete fresh install of XP without having to install Windows 98 first. The only difference between the Upgrade version and a full Retail version is that with the Upgrade version, you will be asked at some point during the installation process to insert your original legal Win 98 CD so that it can be verified that you have a qualifying Windows OS that you are upgrading.
Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Thanks everyone.I installed win 98 on a partition and the used the Upgrade advanced feature to install XP on a different partition.So I have the dual boot "Windows version" on my computer.The only real draw back to this installation is if you EVER loose or reinstall win 98 you may loose the three VITAL files associated with booting win XP[boot.ini, ntdrl, ntdetect.com].Thanks again to all who replied.