Katrina:Catagory 5

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Cletus A.A.

Katrina:Catagory 5

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Katrina is now a catagory 5 (the Maximum) Hurricane.Get the heck out of the way!.It is looking like it will head pretty much toward New Orleans.It's gonna be huge.The storm surge should be very high due to the low levels of land in Southern Louisana.I hope you are safe,now and in the future.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Damn. :(

(Image removed. The remnants are over Ohio. Yawn.)
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Let's hope that everyone gets to safety, because that's gonna be some storm...
Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

I'll take blizzards and tornadoes anyday.

Jebus...
NightG1

Post by NightG1 »

I don't think I've watched The Weather Channel as much in the last 5 years as I have in the past two days. I really do love living on the Gulf Coast. It is hot and humid in the summer...come to think of it, it is hot and humid all year except January. The western Gulf is usually not affected by these storms unless they enter the Gulf between western Cuba and Cancun. This whole weekend, I've been hoping the damn thing would finally turn north only to realize that if it didn't hit Houston, it was only going to hit somewhere else.

ETA: The company I work for has a styrene/polystyrene plant near Baton Rouge and I hope everybody in Southern Louisiana has left or is in a safe place.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hexxenhammer wrote:I'll take blizzards and tornadoes anyday.

Jebus...
Earthquakes for the win.
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

Grammatron wrote:

Jebus...
Earthquakes for the win.
Earthquakes are usually too localized. For the win try a large Atlantic asteroid strike tsunami, or a super-volcano explosion or major asteroid strike (anywhere on earth). Global thermonuclear war should also be a win, huh?

Back to reality, if Katrina strikes as per current forecast, and you are still in the strike zone, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
NightG1

Post by NightG1 »

hammegk wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Jebus...
Earthquakes for the win.
Earthquakes are usually too localized. For the win try a large Atlantic asteroid strike tsunami, or a super-volcano explosion or major asteroid strike (anywhere on earth). Global thermonuclear war should also be a win, huh?

Back to reality, if Katrina strikes as per current forecast, and you are still in the strike zone, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
Your usual helpfulness is appreciated chief. Thanks
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

NightG1 wrote:
hammegk wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Jebus...
Earthquakes for the win.

Your usual helpfulness is appreciated chief. Thanks
Da nada, bunkie.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Can't someone fly Pat Robertson to New Orleans and have him pray the hurricane away to someplace else? Cleveland, maybe? We could use a good washdown here.
Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Pat can't help any more since he has turned to the dark side.(snuff Chavez)
Wouldn't you know,just when we needed him most....
Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Not too good:A section of the Superdome roof has been torn off,and is leaking.The Superdome,where many have taken shelter from the hurricane,was supposed to be one of the safest places in New Orleans.Hopefully it won't get much worse.
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Excellent hurricane link: http://www.hurricanecity.com/closeup.htm
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

One of the levees in New Orleans has been breached. An AP reporter was talking to someone on a cellphone who is trapped in his house. He says water is coming in and rising and he may have to break through his roof to escape and is begging for someone to come rescue him.
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Cletus A.A. wrote:Not too good:A section of the Superdome roof has been torn off,and is leaking.The Superdome,where many have taken shelter from the hurricane,was supposed to be one of the safest places in New Orleans.Hopefully it won't get much worse.
Hurricane Katrina blew two parts off the roof of the New Orleans Superdome where about 10,000 people are seeking shelter, and rain is falling on the field and lower parts of the stadium's stands, a spokesman for the state's Social Services Department said.

Lousiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said that an engineer had checked the dome and found it sound.

Electricity was lost at about 5:30 a.m. local time and the emergency power kicked on, DSS spokesman Irby Hornsby, who manages the special needs shelter within the arena, said in a cell phone interview from the stadium. Even with the emergency lighting, the stadium is dimly lit because it has few windows, he said.

``It doesn't appear to be the whole roof is tearing away,'' he said. ``The structure of the roof is still there, it's probably just the stuff covering the structure that's peeled away. I just hope that this is the worst of it.''
Bloomberg link
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Live internet coverage of the hurricane here: http://www.hurricanecity.com/

About halfway down the page is an icon of a VU meter with a box you can click on under it. Right now, they are showing CNN coverage. Biloxi and Gulfport. No storm surge yet, but flooding just from the rain alone.

I have been surfing the various AM radio news stations and no one is able to make contact with New Orleans.
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Reports of people swimming out of their homes in New Orelans on CNN.

New Orleans. If those levees are breached, it is going to be a big toxic bowl of soup and probably unlivable for at least six months.

People swimming out of their homes. Geez. Not everybody knows how to swim. A reporter is saying water is pouring into New Orleans.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

So sad, I hope everyone will be ok but the odds sure are against it.

It was only a metter of time, sort of like "The Big One" happening in Los Angeles, except New Orleans gets a hurricane. That's the risk you take when you build a city bellow sea level.
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Luke T. wrote:One of the levees in New Orleans has been breached. An AP reporter was talking to someone on a cellphone who is trapped in his house. He says water is coming in and rising and he may have to break through his roof to escape and is begging for someone to come rescue him.
Oh, oh, this might be the one that washes New Orleans away. It has to be a bit nerve-wracking living in a city that's below sea level.

As I recall, once the electrical power is out, the pumps that empty the city will stop (well, duh) and then you have a situation where you have to get the pumps going, but you can't if they are under water.

(crosses fingers)

I hope people had the sense to leave. I liked what the sherrif they showed on the weather channel last night said "If you're still down there, get in your car and haul ass outta there right now, y'heah". I think he had it right.

ETA: I wonder how long before one of the Pat's or such starts into the "it was the wrath of god washing the sin from our shores" routine.
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Some of the pumps in New Orleans have failed. No live reports yet since the worst part of the storm has passed.

They are showing Mobile, AL and it is flooded. My son lives right across the bay from Mobile and less than half a mile from the water. His grandmother refuses to leave every time there is a hurricane and so everybody stays at her house during them. She feels going inland is more dangerous what with tornadoes and such farther inland.

I'm sure they are all right, but I will be calling them again soon. I talked to them last night.

Ah. They are talking to a guy on the phone in New Orleans right now on the live CNN link. He says he can see several air conditioner units have fallen to the street in the apartment bldg he lives in. Some of the video shows the streets as flooded.

A hell of a lot of debris.
Vic Daring

Post by Vic Daring »

From the CNN report
Some of those people were in dire straits on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

Floodwaters were up to the rooflines of entire neighborhoods, The Associated Press reported.

"Get us a boat!" a man in a black slicker shouted, according to AP. Nearby, a woman shouted from a second-story window: "There are three kids in here. Can you help us?"
Lady! What the eff are you doing with your three kids there? Idiot!!

If you survive this, your kids should be taken away. You are obviously an unfit mother. And an idiot.
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

NightG1 wrote:I don't think I've watched The Weather Channel as much in the last 5 years as I have in the past two days. I really do love living on the Gulf Coast. It is hot and humid in the summer...come to think of it, it is hot and humid all year except January. The western Gulf is usually not affected by these storms unless they enter the Gulf between western Cuba and Cancun. This whole weekend, I've been hoping the damn thing would finally turn north only to realize that if it didn't hit Houston, it was only going to hit somewhere else.

ETA: The company I work for has a styrene/polystyrene plant near Baton Rouge and I hope everybody in Southern Louisiana has left or is in a safe place.
I have musician friends in Houston and a record company in Baton Rouge. This thing was only Category 1 when it breezed past my grandmother in Fort Lauderdale, she's forgotten about it already. But I gotta call the record folks.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The disaster is getting worse. New Orleans is flooded. They're evacuating refugee shelters now.

http://www.redcross.org
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

DrMatt wrote: I have musician friends in Houston and a record company in Baton Rouge. This thing was only Category 1 when it breezed past my grandmother in Fort Lauderdale, she's forgotten about it already. But I gotta call the record folks.
Baton Rouge has checked in.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Re: Katrina:Catagory 5

Post by robinson »

17 years
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Hurricanes are a myth FYI, I saw it on Reddit.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Reddit is a myth according to 8chan.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

You are a myth according to 4chan.

– J.D.
Ben Trovado