Does anyone out there have a good familiarity with Excel?

The war between wetware and hardware.
Interesting Ian

Does anyone out there have a good familiarity with Excel?

Post by Interesting Ian »

I only just started to use excel a few days ago. I have never used any spreadsheets before, and didn't even know what they were until a few days ago, so bear with me.

Basically I'm using a spreadsheet to calculate the probabilities of correct scores of football matches (soccer to you denizens of the USA) in the English premiership. I'm doing this so that should my calculated odds be less than the odds given by betting exchanges or bookies, I can then place a bet and therefore in the long term make a profit (eg my calculated odds for 0 -- 3 might be decimal odds of 24 where as a betting exchanges figures for that score might be 26. Thus if my calculated odds are accurate placing a bet at odds of 26 constitutes a value bet).

Now I would like to import data from http://www.betfair.com. In order to see an example of what I wish to import click the link, click soccer from the list on the left, click English soccer, click Berkeley's Premiership, click Fixtures 5th November, click Arsenal v Sunderland, click correct score. You'll see columns of figures. The column with the blue background is an example of the type of data I wish to import into a spreadsheet. Note that these figures are constantly updating and I wish for it to do so in my spreadsheet.

So is this possible and if so, how would I do it?

I'll also have a column of my own generated odds to compare with the betfair figures. The betfair figures have to exceed my figures. Can I get the betfair figures to turn green (or something of a similar nature) if they exceed my calculated odds?

Any responses greatly appreciated. If explaining how to do it make it very very simple though :) I know next to nothing about any of this stuff.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Re: Does anyone out there have a good familiarity with Excel

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Alt-h F1

Hth.
Interesting Ian

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:Alt-h F1

Hth.
What???
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Interesting Ian wrote:

Hth.
What???
Alt-h F1

Can't you read?
Interesting Ian

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:

Hth.
What???
Alt-h F1

Can't you read?
The excel help? You've got to be joking. Come on, I need some more specific advice.
Interesting Ian

Jesus Christ! I just tried pasting it in, and for scores like 1 - 1 it's put the 1st of January! Why the hell can't you just copy and paste!!
Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

That's beyond my excel skills. I doubt you'll be able to make it import data and automatically update. You'll probably need to update the data yourself. Which may completely defeat your purpose. Sorry.

I find getting imported data (mostly from txt documents for my work) to be hard enough.
Dappadee

Post by Dappadee »

Interesting Ian wrote:Jesus Christ! I just tried pasting it in, and for scores like 1 - 1 it's put the 1st of January! Why the hell can't you just copy and paste!!
You need to change the format of the cells you are typing into. Right click the cell and select format cell then from the category list pick the format of the data you are trying to enter.

As far as a self-updating spreadsheet goes you will have to create a web query that references your particular web site. Have a look at this
Link
Interesting Ian

Dappadee wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:Jesus Christ! I just tried pasting it in, and for scores like 1 - 1 it's put the 1st of January! Why the hell can't you just copy and paste!!
You need to change the format of the cells you are typing into. Right click the cell and select format cell then from the category list pick the format of the data you are trying to enter.

As far as a self-updating spreadsheet goes you will have to create a web query that references your particular web site. Have a look at this
Link
OK, thanks for the advice about the copy and paste. If I can't copy and paste what's the chance of me mastering this self-updating stuff! Unless someone wouldn't mind doing it for me :D

I'm not putting this spreadsheet on my web site. I mean I could do but there would be no point, unless other people would like to use my calculations so they can also bet on correct scores. Mind you, if there were too many people using it this might affect the odds at betfair and be disadvantageous to me. The spreadsheet was just intended for personal use to generate odds for football (soccer) correct scores (using a suitably modified poisson distribution, taking into account the commission etc), so I can make money from gambling :)
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Interesting Ian wrote:
The excel help? You've got to be joking. Come on, I need some more specific advice.
I'd be far more likely to assist you if you were:

a/ More polite.

b/ Not such a tedious, bleating turd in all other areas of your existence.

Hth.