I registered on JREF with a false name

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

I registered on JREF with a false name

Post by xouper »

Just recently (I won't say when), I successfully registered as a new member on the JREF forum and gave a false name.

I hope they have fun trying to find it.

And I hope they don't piss off too many people by suspending accounts they think are mine but really aren't.
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

xouper:"Just recently (I won't say when), I successfully registered as a new member on the JREF forum and gave a false name."

Didn't everybody?
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Wow, that great Xouper! Are you going to put a flaming bag of dogshit on their doorstep next? Or maybe let's egg them!
gnome

Post by gnome »

And then... we can have a bunch of pizzas delivered that they didn't order!
Luke T.

Post by Luke T. »

Did you wear black framed glasses? It worked for Superman as Clark Kent.

Just try to hold your tongue when they ban Randi.
Marian

Post by Marian »

http://www.imgshost.com/uploads/631b7f30eb.gif
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Post by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos »

Ooh.

~~ Paul
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

It took almost six hours for the scent to reach them.

Must have had no synchophants "on watch" today.

--J.D.
De_Bunk
Location: If you find that you have trouble..Just have a little drink..It is your friend.

Post by De_Bunk »

Somehow i am reminded of a certain scene....

" There are 3 things you can do...

1. Kill Bob...!

2. Kill yourself...!

3. Kill everyone else in the whole world...!!!!

De_BlackAdder_Bunk
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You know of the Wisewoman?!!

--J. "No, Just a Wild Stab in the Dark" D.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos: Ooh.
I look forward to seeing how well you enforce your rules.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I am surprised that THERE has lasted as long as it has since we all know, according to Darat, UpChurch, PaulA, and the Rest of the Toadies, we cannot possibly trust xouper because, like, he could have secret information that, like, well they have themselves put at risk, but, like, he cannot be trusted because he, like, irritated Darat by not posting for six months and, like, that is dissension and we, like, cannot have dissension on a skeptical and freethought board because, like, the movement is more important than the movement and stuff.

He has probably damaged THERE in ways we will never truly appreciate.

I, for one, am hoping mad!

I give THERE 17 days--17 DAYS!--to rectify this Serious Security Breach which, is, like, far greater than any security breach they have had.

Or, barring that, they could all just grow up.

--J.D.
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos wrote:Ooh.

~~ Paul
VBulletin 3.5.1 XSS vuln.

Vuln. dicovered by : r0t
Date: 26 nov. 2005
Orginal advisory:http://pridels.blogspot.com/2005/11/vbu ... -vuln.html
Vendor:http://www.vbulletin.com/
affected version:3.5.1 and prior

Vuln. Description:

"editavatar" XSS-
avatar url field parameters isn't properly sanitised before being
returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML
and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected
site

example:
http://www.(javascript&#058;alert());"<script>alert('r0t XSS')</script>.com/.jpg

Solution:
Edit the source code to ensure that input is properly sanitised.
<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.5.1" />

<meta name="keywords" content="randi, amazing, jref, skeptic, pigasus, debunk, critical thinking, lecture, geller, dowsing, cold reading, cottingley, weird things, paranormal, million dollar challenge, magic, faith healer, nostradamus, fraud, hoax, occult, supernatural, conjuring, uri geller, yuri, flim flam, psychics, john edward, sylvia browne, clock, van praagh,vbulletin,forum,bbs,discussion,jelsoft,bulletin board, psi, amazing meeting" />
<meta name="description" content="The JREF Forum is provided by the James Randi Educational Foundation, a non-profit learning organisation whose goals include promoting critical thinking everywhere, go to http://forums.randi.org/." />
ratbag

Post by ratbag »

EvilYeti wrote:
VBulletin 3.5.1 XSS vuln.

Vuln. dicovered by : r0t
Date: 26 nov. 2005
Orginal advisory:http://pridels.blogspot.com/2005/11/vbu ... -vuln.html
Vendor:http://www.vbulletin.com/
affected version:3.5.1 and prior

Vuln. Description:

"editavatar" XSS-
avatar url field parameters isn't properly sanitised before being
returned to the user. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML
and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected
site

example:
http://www.(javascript&#058;alert());"<script>alert('r0t XSS')</script>.com/.jpg

Solution:
Edit the source code to ensure that input is properly sanitised.
Be Fair, It's not serious until 17 days have passed
Rat
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

ratbag wrote: Be Fair, It's not serious until 17 days have passed
Rat
Could someone explain the 17 days reference to me? I don't get it.
ratbag

Post by ratbag »

Short story
Claus: Being an arsehole - more so than usual.
Rat
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

EvilYeti wrote:
ratbag wrote: Be Fair, It's not serious until 17 days have passed
Rat
Could someone explain the 17 days reference to me? I don't get it.
At one time the SC was hacked, fortunately by a rather beniegn hacker, who did nothing more than change a few titles to posts. At the time Claus came over here and had hysterics because of the hack and because the upgrade that would have prevented the hack had been available for 17 days prior to the hack. So now it is a running joke about the 17 days thing.
whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

I wonder if they'd get thrown off by two or more people with the same name. I don't know if I'm still active at the JREF boards but the banning of Xouper ought to have triggered mine as well, assuming they actually bother to look at member's real names.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Doctor Mabuse wrote:. . . assuming they actually bother to look at member's real names.
If it gives them the excuse to stroke their egos by wielding power, they do.

--J.D.
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

Chanileslie wrote:
At one time the SC was hacked, fortunately by a rather beniegn hacker, who did nothing more than change a few titles to posts. At the time Claus came over here and had hysterics because of the hack and because the upgrade that would have prevented the hack had been available for 17 days prior to the hack. So now it is a running joke about the 17 days thing.
Ah yeah, I remember that.

The point is, php/vbulletin is inherently insecure and should never be used to warehouse any potentially abuseable information. By mandating the collection of personal information in an insecure manner the JREF put themselves and their users at uneeded risk.

Which is ironic considering thats what this whole exercise was supposed to avoid.
RCC

Re: I registered on JREF with a false name

Post by RCC »

xouper wrote:Just recently (I won't say when), I successfully registered as a new member on the JREF forum and gave a false name.

And I hope they don't piss off too many people by suspending accounts they think are mine but really aren't.

I doubt it. They aren't looking for that sort of thing.

Now go over there and say something defamatory.

"Randi is a good Christian"

or

"The JREF's medical plan covers homeopathy."

Have the "Jablome and Hunt" law firm defend you.

Haywood and Mike are really tough lawyers.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Do they work pro bono?

Unfortunately, THEY will see it as a challenge and try to "hunt him out." "We cannot possibily allow this aggression against the DEF to stand!" Sure, understandable if you do not want GenghisPWN hiding about waiting to post comparison pictures of Dakota Fanning and Bella Abzug with "which would you rather [CENSORED--Ed.]" titles or, more seriously, the creeps who do post libelous material.

THEY will not understand the difference, no.

THEY have been "thwarted!" The peasants have "revolted." How DARE they question authority?!

xouper must be destroyed!! xouper delendi sunt! 54-40 or FIGHT!! REMEMBER THE MAINE!

Think of the children!

--J.D.
shemp

Post by shemp »

http://www.moviehelpweb.com/images/people/fanning.JPG

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/awhhtml/aw0 ... h03e04.jpg

or

http://www.cusatours.com/Day%20Trips/O/apple%20pie.jpg
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

fIX The FuGGiN width.
skeptica

Post by skeptica »

I tried to fix it with a mod once, but when I tested it, it had worse side effects.

G6
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Based on the evidence presented in this thread, Shemp is a pie fucker.
Last edited by Grammatron on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smike

Post by Smike »

Buy a bigger screen.

It looks okay for me (19").
shemp

Post by shemp »

Smike wrote:Buy a bigger screen.

Mine's bigger.
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:Just recently (I won't say when), I successfully registered as a new member on the JREF forum and gave a false name.

Anything to cause trouble, eh?

As it happens, I'm also convinced that the board management over there has gone starkers, but goading them into further reactionary zeal seems deliberately counterproductive to me.
Marian

Post by Marian »

http://www.imgshost.com/uploads/0a394db6e0.gif
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

BWA!HA!HA!HA!

O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention,
A kingdom for a stage, princes to act
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!

http://www.linsdomain.com/Derek/henryv/henry1.jpg

--J.D.
Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

Smike wrote:Buy a bigger screen.

Tiny.
The Thing

Post by The Thing »

jj wrote:Anything to cause trouble, eh?
Nothing unexpected, though? No posts at SC since 23 April, then suddenly shows up and decides to pour oil on the fire for his own self-gratification. As Nero Wolfe would say, Pfui.
doctor x wrote:I am surprised that THERE has lasted as long as it has...

Here beginnith the rant...

Well, just to bring you up to date, skeezik (since I know that you are an honorable man and would never deign to visit a place you have such contempt for), it's still muddling along--Badly Shaved Monkey and Rolfe are going head-to-head with the British Vets society on homeopathy, the Challenge is alive and kicking, RS Lancaster will be presenting a paper on his Kaz website at TAM4 (I hope G6 was selected too) and over 60 JREF posters are committed to TAM4, some via scholarships that were started by G6 and have been built on by Paul A. (23 awarded and rising) and are fueled by contributions from TAM members. Plus Hutch and Jeff Wagg are loaning their own money to help other Forum members to come.

Here--I looked at the subforums for Skepticism/Psuedoscience, Religion/Philosophy, Education/Learning, Science/Math/Tech, Medicine/Health--all vibrant and active boards at the JREF--and counted the active (defined by me to mean posted to in the last 24 hours) threads and total posts.

For those five subforums, SC totals 2 threads and 4 posts. Total. For five forums.

Barren. Devoid of Critical Thinking. No stimulation or action.

Pitiful.

Even in banter, your major thread (sans the standard forum threads that you imported from the JREF) is about the actions of the JREF. You live it seems only to carp from the outside but are unable to let go (I address only those who have departed the JREF, not the many who crosspost here to see old friends). At the JREF, they've congratulated Kaz, sympathized with Athon on the loss of a friend, seen a revelation from Darat which led to an emotional post from Luke which strangely enough left zaaydragon happy.

Life is continuing. You come here to banter; I perfer living in a community.

Rant--and my posting time here-is completed.

The Thing (I've left enough clues that you can figure out who I am at the JREF if you are curious-it matters little to me).
xouper

Post by xouper »

jj wrote:

Anything to cause trouble, eh?

As it happens, I'm also convinced that the board management over there has gone starkers, but goading them into further reactionary zeal seems deliberately counterproductive to me.
I say to-MAY-to and you (and Thing) say to-MAH-to. :dunno:
xouper

Post by xouper »

The Thing wrote:
jj wrote:Anything to cause trouble, eh?
Nothing unexpected, though? No posts at SC since 23 April, then suddenly shows up and decides to pour oil on the fire for his own self-gratification.
And we all know who created the fire in the first place for their own gratification. If the JREF forum management wants to set themselves on fire, I'm certainly willing to help now and then. It's not like I'm the one who started this mess, ya know.
Marian

Post by Marian »

http://www.imgshost.com/uploads/bd4b1c83e7.gif
RCC

Post by RCC »

The Thing wrote:
(snip blathering name dropping)
Yeah. I went head to head with Dr. X on the reasoning in Bush v. Gore. Our politics section sometimes devolves into critical examination of important social and legal issues.

What's going on there? Shanek/Claus XIX?

Here--I looked at the subforums for Skepticism/Psuedoscience, Religion/Philosophy, Education/Learning, Science/Math/Tech, Medicine/Health--all vibrant and active boards at the JREF--and counted the active (defined by me to mean posted to in the last 24 hours) threads and total posts.

For those five subforums, SC totals 2 threads and 4 posts. Total. For five forums.
Sorry that there are less people here.
Barren. Devoid of Critical Thinking. No stimulation or action.
You win the irony award. Perhaps if you employ that critical thinking you may realize that quanity does not equal quality.

Pitiful.

Exactly

Even in banter, your major thread (sans the standard forum threads that you imported from the JREF) is about the actions of the JREF.
So?
You live it seems only to carp from the outside but are unable to let go (I address only those who have departed the JREF, not the many who crosspost here to see old friends).
Ah, the greater point.

I live for a lot of things, as I have a life off of the internet. Less inane traffic and static is one reason I post here. Less people doing the same thing over and over, and less moderation sticking their silly noses in.

The JREF is a subject here for the most part because we do explore critical reasoning sans sacred cows, and as that forum both claims to be for the purpose of promoting critical thinking, and is run with the apparent lack of said reasoning, it amuses us.

Or at least me. Maybe it interests, saddens, or pisses off others. I can't say.

At the JREF, they've congratulated Kaz, sympathized with Athon on the loss of a friend, seen a revelation from Darat which led to an emotional post from Luke which strangely enough left zaaydragon happy.
Sounds more like a circle jerk than an example of critical thinking.

Here, I told Dr. X to go jam a parking meter up his ass due to his love for the reasoning in Bush v. Gore, and that led to a cynical response from Mulebear, which strangely enough Charley Bigtime totally ignored.

Life is continuing. You come here to banter; I perfer living in a community.
The difference is what exactly? That you have gotten so busy patting each other on the back that you have completely lost sight of your own biases regarding "your own" and "your ideas?"

That seems to be what that "community" is for the most part. Self-gratification with a side of smugness.

Plus, I live in a family, and in a community that doesn't require a keyboard to interface with....

Rant--and my posting time here-is completed.
Exactly. You are afraid of this forum because here your self imagined "status" will be rightly held irrelevant. So you make an emotional hit and run as otherwise, like all the other silly twits that come here to show us the error of our heathen ways, will be exposed for what you are.

What is that? For what purpose are you posting this irrational and emotional rant?

Think about it for a while. It may come to you.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

The Thing wrote:Insignificant grandstanding exit - after all - it *IS* all about you.
So let me get this clear:

You are berating us for not making lots 'n' lots of posts/threads about critical thinking on cherry picked bits of the forum, but then berate us for thinking critically about the JREF in lots 'n' lots of posts/threads in Banter.

Well, I guess that makes you a clueless fuckwit then.
Suddenly

Post by Suddenly »

That post, strangely enough, made RCC happy.

(RCC is also a clueless fuckwit and he's thrilled to not be alone)

:twisted:
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Now, now, Charles and RCC--you still lose 7-9--we must not make fun of someone whose idol is a retard.

Critical thinkers do not need their fallacious hypocrisy parsed for them such as suddenly appearing HERE to complain HERE about a poster suddenly appearing HERE, nor proving unable to read.

We should take great comfort that he feels the inmates of his play-pen are happy. It is out of my sense of noblesse oblige that I request that he kindly wipe the salad dressing from his lips, however. Unseemly, that.

Otherwise, I am sure if he ever contributes a non-self-righteous hypocritical sycophantic temper-tantrum I will be informed of it so that I may treat it with all of the regard it deserves.

Then, again, perhaps if we called one another RACISTS?!!! Will that give us that . . . Jenny say "Qua?" we seem to lack?

May be we need more self-important fools and assholes. Perhaps we can convince him to stay, then?

--J.D.
Last edited by Doctor X on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.