2006 Poker Challenge discussion and trash talking thread

Stump your fellow simians.
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

I'm was using astrology.

Course I had to re-think my strategy as it relied heavily on Pluto.

I'm picking up some prayer beads and a whole shitload of loose tea on the way home tonight.
RCC

Post by RCC »

It starts and stops. At some point the blinds are too small w/r/t stack sizes to have to risk to stay alive, but too big to allow for speculation.

Having the blinds rise as a function of the # of hands should mitigate this by making the blinds go up faster during the "raise and take it" phase.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Can we suspend the 24 hour rule for the long weekend. I imagine many of us are going somewhere and would otherwise be timed out.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Bearguin wrote:Can we suspend the 24 hour rule for the long weekend. I imagine many of us are going somewhere and would otherwise be timed out.
Good point. We will stop the clock for the weekend, though I will still be checking in. Players are encouraged to keep posting/playing, or PM your intentions to me ahead of time if possible.

Everyone have a nice long weekend.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

FRAUD! CHEATERS! I WAS COLD-DECKED!

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/tweetz/moon.gif

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/pal ... hrower.gif

http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/chaos99/greenchair.gif
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Stepping out for the weekend. Will be back Monday afternoon.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Bearguin wrote:Stepping out for the weekend. Will be back Monday afternoon.
Got it. Will sit you out until notified of your return.

Blinds go up next hand BTW.
swellman

Post by swellman »

In light of the recent blackout of the SC site, the 24-hour rule for the game I'm dealing is suspended until things settle down.

By all means, post 'em if you've got 'em.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

I'm back.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Bearguin wrote:I'm back.
Gotcha. Next hand.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

So I won the hand, but not sure if I played it well or not. That's kind of annoying. :)
RCC

Post by RCC »

Aoidoi wrote:So I won the hand, but not sure if I played it well or not. That's kind of annoying. :)
You did.

This I can say with some certainty.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

How long can I stay in first place by folding every hand??????
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

So, how long do we wait for Aoidiaoidaosdsid or whatever his name is??

Seriously. I assume the 24 hr rule is not in effect, but it had been through yesterday morning.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Last night as I was coming out of my post Patriots-Denver funk, I was parked on the main poker thread. Aoidoi was due to post his action with about 30 minutes remaining on the 24-hour clock. However I was tired as hell and went to bed before Aoidoi's time expired.

Early this morning, when I tried to check on the thread, I of course found that SC was down. This condition continued for most of the day.

So the question to Aoidoi - did you attempt to post in late last night but were unable to connect? If so, post your move now and we'll continue the hand.

If you didn't check the site until this morning (and subsequently found it down), you missed your 24-hr clock.

It's a game of gentlemen - let us know the situation and we'll proceed accordingly.

Thanks.

eta - I composed this solo, but I see bearguin beat me to the post!
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

I actually forgot to check last night, and when I tried earlier today it was down. I have folded, and will manfully pretend it is due to my having forgotten to check the thread and not because I think I'm beat. ;)
swellman

Post by swellman »

8)
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

8)
swellman

Post by swellman »

I will be out of town Wednesday through next Monday and will not have reliable access to the internet. Actually headed back to Vegas. Might even enter a poker tournament (low $!) where my max loss is limited to the entry fee. I hear there's a lot of fish and a few sharks at those tables - watching both could be amusing.

Hand 56 has been dealt. I will monitor the hand for the rest of the evening, as well as early tomorrow morning before I leave town. Please play the hand as far as possible, and then I'll continue dealing Monday evening.

This is the last trip I expect to take where I'll not have internet access. Thanks to everyone for your patience.
RCC

Post by RCC »

I'll be out until next Tuesday...

Going to play poker in Connecticut...
swellman

Post by swellman »

Have fun!
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

arg, forgot to check yesterday. Somehow it's always the Sundays that get me.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Aoidoi wrote:arg, forgot to check yesterday. Somehow it's always the Sundays that get me.
I'll deal you in next hand.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Reminder - blinds go up again on Hand 62.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Man, you'd think it'd be easier to remember to check this every day. Yesterday was crazy busy and I didn't look at all.
swellman

Post by swellman »

Aoidoi wrote:Man, you'd think it'd be easier to remember to check this every day. Yesterday was crazy busy and I didn't look at all.
I'll deal you in the next hand.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

See RCC's thread in banter but it looks like he is bowing out of the game entirely.

I suspect it was because he was concerned he was going to be completely trashed by myself, but it could be for some other lame reson (like dieing or something dumb).
swellman

Post by swellman »

Yeah, it sounds like RCC is out. However, I propose we leave him sitting out for a few hands. If he doesn't return by the time blinds increase again, I'll remove him from the game. If he wishes to return for some theraputic poker before that time, he has the option.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Cool
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Can I protest?

The clock CLEARLY shows he was 2 minutes past the 24 hour rule!

So I got called on a bluff and lost. I'm not bitter about that at all.

(and to be clear, I'm kidding. I lost fair and square).
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

I'm just glad I remembered to check relatively early today. :)

Thanks for not making a big deal of the time. I didn't even realize I was close when I posted it. Got busy yesterday at work and have been dog sitting at home for the last couple days so haven't been online much. :)
swellman

Post by swellman »

While bearguin is kidding, he does bring up a good point - should the 24 hour rule be the "chess clock" of the poker tourney, or just a device for keeping play to a reasonable pace?

When I logged on today to check on the hand, by chance it was just a few minutes after Aoidoi had posted. I did notice the time stamp on his post, but never even considered calling Aoidoi's post late and booting him. We just haven't done that in the tournament. Maybe it should be part of the game in the next tournament? It's common with on-line poker sites, though those are for money and this is a game of honor among gentlemen. Or something.

An issue for the next tournament director to wrestle with...
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

First two minutes.

Then three minutes.

Then ten.

Then an hour.

Where will it all end? We'll have moderators next...

etc.

I suggest that twenty-four hours be twenty-four for future bits 'n' pieces.

No argument.
swellman

Post by swellman »

punchdrunk wrote: Because it saves the dealer from having to make what is essentially a no-win decision: "what is too late?" Players are invariably going to disagree with a decision when it is subjective. As the dealer in the MiniHOP and past games, I always hated to be in a position where my actions weren't automatic.
I agree. The hardest thing to do as dealer is kick someone out of a hand because they didn't post in time. The second hardest thing to do is not kick them out because they posted before the dealer checked the thread but after the 24 hour mark. The second scenario definitely causes problems.

A hard 24-hr clock is the way to go in future tourneys IMHO. I didn't rigorously enforce it at times to my regret.
swellman

Post by swellman »

punchdrunk wrote: I don't remember any other clock issue happening before this.
It happened a couple of times early on, but in situations where the player would have been forced to check after 24 hours, not have their hand folded. And as I recall, they checked anyway.

Harder for me to deal with are those who sort of disappear without a word after a few hands, though I understand how RL can take up a lot of time.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

punchdrunk wrote:
CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:First two minutes.

Then three minutes.

Then ten.

Then an hour.

Where will it all end? We'll have moderators next...

etc.

I suggest that twenty-four hours be twenty-four for future bits 'n' pieces.

No argument.
Because it saves the dealer from having to make what is essentially a no-win decision: "what is too late?" Players are invariably going to disagree with a decision when it is subjective. As the dealer in the MiniHOP and past games, I always hated to be in a position where my actions weren't automatic.

And I think interest in playing these games online is tenuous, even on larger forums, and as a player relaxed attitudes towards game rules always made me care less about playing.

Note that I think swellman has done a fantastic job with the tournament. I had a small taste of the work involved running the other.
I agree.

Perhaps you misinterpreted my post.

Kudos to Yourself and Swellman for taking the time out to do the tournaments.
Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Wow, got lucky on that one. Was dominated pre-flop but fit the flush on the river.
RCC

Post by RCC »

I'm completely out.

Find a volunteer from the crowd to play my chips...

I always translated the 24 hr rule as more "24 hours or when I post in the thread again, whichever is longer."

Less a time limit than a "move it along" tool.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Perhaps, the hard limit, but the other players may stipulate to continue play as is, if he posts before the dealer calls him on it?
swellman

Post by swellman »

RCC wrote:I'm completely out.

Find a volunteer from the crowd to play my chips...
Anyone want to play RCC's stack? If not, I'll just remove him (and his stack) from the game.