The Tour has begun!

Never agree to 3 points above the vig.
zer0vector

The Tour has begun!

Post by zer0vector »

I'm really pissed this year because I don't have cable to watch the Tour de France, but I'm eagerly awaiting the online updates. Any other Tour-o-philes out there? If you're not, you should be! Go to:

http://www.letour.fr

PS-I understand some people don't think too much of the Tour. As my g/f says: "It's like a NASCAR race except it's alot slower, the crashes aren't as cool, and it's IN FRANCE!". While I support your freedom to express such opinions, I get enough of that at home, so please, be kind.
wollery

Post by wollery »

I'll be watching, unfortunately ITV have the TV rights in the UK and they're only showing the live stuff and having daily updates on their digital channel, which I don't get. The terrestrial analogue channel (ITV1) has highlights every three or so days. :(

I'm looking forward to the time trial up Alpe D'Huez, should be a cracker!
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

Looks like US Postal just took the win at the Team Time Trial today. Lance has the Yellow Jersey, but I doubt he'll keep it over the next few days, since most of the stages are flat high speed sections.

Also, looks like there is a rule change for the time trials
Under the new regulations, the fastest team can set a new land speed record, but will still pick up no more than 20 seconds on the closest team left trailing in their wake.
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/ ... 0759.shtml
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

I watch it on Eurosport most days. There is a 16 minute breakaway group of 5 riders now, on a flat but windy stage into Chartres.
wollery

Post by wollery »

Okay, so last night ITV finally got round to catching up with what's been going on, starting from the team time trial up to the rest day.

My god there have been a lot of crashes!
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

wollery wrote:Okay, so last night ITV finally got round to catching up with what's been going on, starting from the team time trial up to the rest day.

My god there have been a lot of crashes!
Think alot of that has been due to the weather and the organisers cleverly sending the Tour through roads that are about the width of a tortoise.
wollery

Post by wollery »

Yeah, Lance Armstrong made a comment about the width of the course after that crash at the 1km flag.

And why pick a tortoise? :?
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

wollery wrote:Yeah, Lance Armstrong made a comment about the width of the course after that crash at the 1km flag.

And why pick a tortoise? :?
Rhinocerous does not have the same impact widthwise.
wollery

Post by wollery »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
wollery wrote: And why pick a tortoise? :?
You've clearly never been hit by a rhinocerous travelling widthwise!! :lol:
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

wollery wrote:
CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
wollery wrote: And why pick a tortoise? :?
You've clearly never been hit by a rhinocerous travelling widthwise!! :lol:
Wanna bet?
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

Armstrong has a good chance of taking the yellow jersey today, since Voeckler is more than 5 minutes behind him, and all Armstrong needs is 22 seconds to move into first. His only threats are Basso and Kloden, since they each trail him in the standings by ~1-2 minutes, and they're riding with his group.

I reserve the right to edit my post and make it look like I predicted the results of today's stage correctly.

Edited to add: Not only did he take the yellow, but he won the stage!
diddidit

Post by diddidit »

Armstrong looks amazing. I can't freaking wait for L'Alpe d'Huez tomorrow!

If' you're not a tour junkie like me, L'Alpe d'Huez is a scary, scary time trial this year. It's only 15.5 KM - about 10 miles, not even a workout ride for fat ol' me - but in that 15.5 KM it ascends over 1000 meters.

This is the stage profile:

[Oh bloody stupid coders hiding the HTML for the pic so I can't link directly to it. Bastidges! Stay tuned, gotta host it myself...]

It's an uphill death match - no team support, no peloton, just the rider and his abilities.

did
diddidit

Post by diddidit »

Here we go:

http://homepage.mac.com/diddidit/DIDstuff/AlpedHuez.gif

Scary!

did
Guy Noir

Post by Guy Noir »

From the overview of the road, up is not scary. Just very difficult.

If they had to ride down that route, it would be very scary. Hairpin city!

:shock:
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

The individual time trial is well underway. Armstrong will be the final rider, getting his start at 1658 (1058 Eastern time). Looks like it's taking them around ~45 minutes to complete the course.
wollery

Post by wollery »

Wow, now that's how to blow the oposition away!! :o
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

Just minutes from the end of stage 17. Armstrong is in the lead group with his teammate Landis, and they're fighting it out with Ullrich Kloden and Basso. Looks to be an exciting finish.

Edited to add: Okay stage just finished. Armstrong took the lead in the last 25 m from Kloden and won the stage. Basso and Ullrich came in close behind, so there probably won't be a change in the standings of the top 5 riders.
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

If anyone comes across a picture of Armstrong as he passes Basso in the Time trial yesterday, please post it here. I'd love to see the look on his face.
diddidit

Post by diddidit »

I caught the video, although it's from behind. Armstrong's head never wavers, but Basso looks over, and slowly looks back ahead while Armstrong dances away. He certainly doesn't cave in, but it's obvious he knows he's racing for second place now.

did
latinijral

Post by latinijral »

The story of Amstrong is really awesome !!!
zer0vector

Post by zer0vector »

Well, I guess it's about time to close out this thread. I was away from news and internet all yesterday, so I didn't get to hear about Armstrong's win until late last night. Go to the tour website and read about some of the funny stuff that happened during the last stage (i.e. the rider in last place rode up ahead of Armstrong and took a picture of himself leading the yellow jersey).